Profile for Paul P > Reviews

Content by Paul P

Paul P (Scotland)

Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013)
Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013)

4.0 out of 5 stars More Ethernet ports please, 31 July 2014
Neat simplistic styling, easy to set up with AirPort app which gives diagnostics. Note this is a router only and does not have a modem and there is no PPPoA support which is used for ADSL. Perfect for use with FTTC (PPPoE) though. Only 3 LAN (Ethernet) ports which is a bit mean. Airplay can be terrible at times, but a reboot of the Airplay devices seems to work. Even worked with the microwave oven on, which the previous router failed to do.
UPDATE 24/9/14 : I still can experience dropout on AirPlay when the microwave oven is on, but better than old Belkin router which failed all the time the microwave was on. There is a USB port on the router to connect a printer, this will convert some printers which are not wireless into AirPrint printers (thus enabling you to print from an iPad etc), however it is model specific. You can check the Apple website for supported printers. I found my printer was not supported - shame. I have an all in one printer / scanner / fax but only printing is supported via the USB on the router, no scanning. For scanning I have to connect the USB directly to the Mac (and configure another driver). This is a known deficiency, the scanning option is not available when viewed on the Mac, rather than it failing to work. I had no issues when I used the printer / scanner via ethernet with my old router. I have a Windows laptop and it fails to detect the printer via the AirPort Extreme USB, but having said that it could not even find the printer when plugged directly into the laptop, so suspect this is a Windows issue. I did have problems with Windows when the printer was originally set up via ethernet.

iPhone 4s / 4 Red Black Hard Plastic Bumper - Ultra Protection Premium Quality
iPhone 4s / 4 Red Black Hard Plastic Bumper - Ultra Protection Premium Quality
Offered by Top Bargain1

1.0 out of 5 stars No durability, 14 Mar 2014
Looks good but the on/off button fell off after a month. Granted it is not expensive but expected it to last longer.

Bowers & Wilkins Z2 Wireless Music System with Lightning Connector Dock and Airplay

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 24 Dec 2013
I bought this to replace a Griffin Amplifi. The Griffin was good for the money, but this sounds so much better, despite it being smaller in size. It packs quite a punch for something so small. The big omission is not having Bluetooth. There seems to be many reviews complaining about dropout of the sound, so thought I would give a summary of my experiences so far. Playing music from my iPhone 4 is really a non starter. Even if I killed off all the Apps on the iPhone, the dropout was terrible. My iPad 2 faired a bit better, but was still not acceptable. However when I streamed music from my Mac, there was not this problem at all. The Mac is connected to my wireless router via an ethernet cable, so the only wireless connection is to the Z2. I have heard the odd dropout, but we are talking rare, rather then several times during a track. I disconnected the ethernet cable and connected the Mac to the router via wi-fi, to see if the 'sending' wi-fi link was causing the issue. My brief experiment of this found that wi-fi from the Mac was no worse than using ethernet. My conclusion is that you will get the odd wi-fi drop out, but in the main the dropouts I have encountered must be from my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I can only assume that these being older devices are struggling at multi-tasking. I would assume that the latest iPhones and iPads would be less susceptible to dropping out, as they have faster processors. Having said that I have used my iPhone connected to a bluetooth speaker once, and that did not have a dropout problem. I really think B&W should have covered the bluetooth route also, hence 4 stars rather than 5.
*** 4 months down the line .... If the microwave oven is on you can forget airplay, as is really kills the wifi. I guess this will also be a problem if you are near to your neighbour's microwave ***
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2014 7:15 PM BST

Retrotouch  Stunning Innovative Designer Range 2-Gang 1-Way Touch and Remote Light Switch, Black Glass
Retrotouch Stunning Innovative Designer Range 2-Gang 1-Way Touch and Remote Light Switch, Black Glass

4.0 out of 5 stars Trendy switch, 22 April 2013
Trendy looking switch. It is a switch and not a dimmer, which means it can control low power bulbs. The circles have a faint blue light when off and red when on. The switch is RF controlled so not subject to the false triggering my previous IR controller dimmer had. Beware even with a 35mm back box it is a tight fit. I had to send the first unit back as I could not loosen one of screws. Also check that the remote is included in the description and not just the stock photo.

Robert Ludlum's: The Bourne Supremacy: The Bourne Saga: Book Two (Jason Bourne 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Publisher take note, 20 Aug 2012
Dear publisher,iIf you insist on charging more for the electronic version than the papeback version, then at least proof read the electronic version. I had the hardback in my bag, but it became too cumbersome on the train so bought the Kindle version. There are dozens of transcript errors e.g. 'h' instead of 'b', and lots of missing spaces, especially after an exclamation mark (these errors are not in the hardback version). This just annoys me. If it was a few pence for the Kindle book then fair enough, but at £4.99 it is a disgrace. Good read spoilt by the shoddy transcript.

Severin 107890 Yoghurt Maker, White/ Grey
Severin 107890 Yoghurt Maker, White/ Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, 21 Jun 2012
Decided to return this to Amazon on 2 counts. The description said extra jars were included, they were not, and secondly it was supplied with a European 2 pin plug and no adaptor. The only electrical items that can be sold without a fitted UK plug are cookers. Quite capable of wiring a plug, but not having the extra jars as in the description means it goes back. Have now ordered the one with extra jars mentioned in the title, and not just the description. Beware.

Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket
Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket
Price: £47.99 - £90.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget jacket, 21 Jun 2012
The first thing to say is that the tag on the jacket says 'highly waterproof'. This is not the same as totally waterproof. For a jacket to be described as waterproof it does not have to be that waterproof, bizarre I know, but there are different degrees of 'waterproof' measured as the hydrostatic head. Berghaus do not quote a figure for this jacket. This jacket is good for short outings, and out and about town. However it is not the grade to take up a hill in a downpour, the hood is not good enough for one, it does not come over your head far enough. Having said that, I knew what to expect for the price and I am not disappointed overall. If you want a jacket to take walking up a hill, buy one with a least a 10000mm hydrostatic head. If you want a jacket to take 'just in case' and do not expect to be out in a downpour for long, you could do worse than this jacket. You pay your money and take your choice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 3:09 PM GMT

Unlikely Killer
Unlikely Killer

4.0 out of 5 stars The ending, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: Unlikely Killer (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book. For me it was a well paced, easy read which had me gripped. However it just seemed to fade away at the end. I found the ending 'unlikely' -as the title says. It had me thinking for a while, but I still find it not very plausible. I suppose that is the basis of the novel though. Worth a punt and an entertaining read.

Gladiator (Limited Edition Steel Book) [Blu-ray]
Gladiator (Limited Edition Steel Book) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than reports suggest, 30 Nov 2009
I held off buying this for a while as the reports of the poor picture quality put me off. It seemed to break down to 2 camps, those who has smaller TV's saying the picture was good and those with projectors not rating the picture quality at all. However now I have it I can't see what all the complaints were about. I have a Panasonic AE2000 projector and the Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player (US equivalent of the LX-91) so was expecting poor-ish picture quality. However the transfer is fine. Yes there are scenes which are grainy and some which are soft focus, but it would appear these were shot this way, brightly lit scenes and dark scenes for that matter are detailed. The transfer is very good and far from the rubbbish reported. I found myself trying to watch these reported disappearing arrows at times, rather than the film as whole, and I think I convinced myself on one occasion, but that was an arrow about half an inch long and probaly 1 pixel wide on a 96" screen against the sky; I did not scan back to double check, after all I want to enjoy the film. If the reports of poor picture quality put you off then ignore them and buy it. I would seriously question the quality of the TV and player of those reporting poor picture quality. I would have given this 5 stars but the sound is only 5.1 DTS-MA, whilst my US DVD version was 6.1 DTS-ES, so why was this not released on blu-ray in 6.1 or 7.1 DTS-MA? Still it sounds fine.

Face/Off [Blu-ray]
Face/Off [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ John Travolta

3.0 out of 5 stars Cut by the censors, 13 Feb 2008
This review is from: Face/Off [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Good film - but you need to buy the US release to avoid the censorship cuts. US version is unfortunately region coded. What is the point of region coding older films apart from being able to charge more in the UK? In fact what is the point of region coding period.

UPDATE : I wrote this review ages ago and have stumbled across some comments which warrant a response. The current US version is NOT region coded, as pointed out. (I think the initial pressing was, at the time of writting, but the US version is now a Paramount release which is region free).
The BBFC website shows if films are cut. Sometimes the guidance changes and previous cuts are waived, this is noted in any new classifications. There is no mention of previous cuts waived. With older releases such as this, it is sometimes more difficult to establish if there are cuts, as the video version will be labelled as 'uncut', but there will be a note indicating 'as UKCV', so you then need to check if the UK cinema version was cut. Sometimes this note is not there, so although the BBFC entry might say 'passed with no cuts' there are caveats to this. Unless the reclassification says 'all previous cuts waived' then tread with caution.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2009 1:54 PM GMT