Profile for L. Power > Reviews

Content by L. Power

L. Power "lizleyann" (Wexford, Ireland)

Girls Aloud: Tangled Up Tour 2008 [DVD]
Girls Aloud: Tangled Up Tour 2008 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Girls Aloud
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not their usual standard, 12 May 2009
I have to say this is a good concert dvd. However, if you have a choice between getting Tangled Up Tour and the Greatest Hits (which was actually the Chemistry tour as the actual greatest hits one wasn't filmed for dvd) Tour dvd's then I'd recommend going for the Greatest Hits. As I said, this is a good concert but no where near as exciting and dynamic as the Greatest Hits show. The staging, costumes and lighting could have been an awful lot more colourful. Tangled Up, in my opinion, is not their strongest album and I think the staging of this concert shows that instead of disguising it.

Also, there is something weird going on with the sound at times, like the crowd noise has been taken out and the band's voices isolated which makes it appear like their miming (which they weren't). Crown noise only adds to the experience of watching a concert dvd, I hate when it's toned down too much in post production.

Before anyone has a go, I would like to state that I am a huge Girls Aloud fan, I was just disappointed with this dvd, especially after seeing the potential of their concert staging with the Greatest Hits show.

Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Student Edition (PC DVD)
Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Student Edition (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars a great, easy to use product., 9 Mar 2009
I've used Dreamweaver CS4 before and found it very easy to use, and it has a great interface. I've used the full version in college and will definitely be buying the student version in the near future.

I do not think the previous review of one star is justified as it states clearly in the product name and info that it is the student version and you have to be in education use it as with all student editions. Marking the product with one star because the reviewer failed to read all the info is uncalled for.

ART OF PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, THE
ART OF PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, THE
by Timothy Shaner

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for fans!, 28 Dec 2007
I love this book! It's a large book, with a padded hard cover that looks like black leather. Introduction by director Gore Verbinski and afterword by production designer Rick Heinrichs. This book has art from all three films, showing concept art and character development, and some story boards. The picture quality is astounding from the pencil sketches to the digital art photos in the fold out sections. Stand out pictures are the fold out section of the cursed pirates in the 'curse of the black pearl' section page 38, and the sketches of 'Bootstrap Bill' on page 65 and Keith Richards as Jack's Dad on page 139. Had I spotted this in a shop I would have gladly paid double the money - that's how good the quality of this book is. A truly beautiful book.

The Dark Sacrament: Exorcism in Modern Ireland
The Dark Sacrament: Exorcism in Modern Ireland
by David M. Kiely
Price: 10.50

1.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this, but..., 15 Feb 2007
I've honestly never read such a badly written book. I can't believe this tripe got published. Maybe there were grains of truth in the stories told, but the stories are written so badly it's hard to take them seriously. The authors also make some really irritating comments about the opinions of the Irish people in general which I believe are grossly mis-informed. They also make some, quite frankly, ignorant comments about the "occult". Some of the stories are laughable in the way they're treated, and some have contradictions. I really can't stress how badly I think this book is written, especially when they interupt a story for, to quote a shampoo advert, "the science bit" - it feels like they're begging you to believe the story and sometimes I found the science bits - and the bible references completely irrelevant to the point they wanted to make. And then there's good old Reverend Cartwright - he pops up a lot, not in every story, but a LOT. In the end I was waiting for the part when some poor afflicted person calls in a 'professional', and I couldn't help chuckling when, yet again, it turned out to be the good Reverend. On whole it seemed like there was no real research into where these "hauntings" came from, and really it wouldn't be hard to research a place or plot of land to find out what or who was there before the afflicted families. Instead we get the tale of the haunting, we get someone - usually the Reverend - coming in and cleansing the space or performing a 'deliverance', and that's it - no historical research, just be thankful to God for getting rid of the ghosties, because remember - it's those whose prayers aren't up to scratch that end up with the ghouls. And, in case anyone is wondering - I'm not a sceptic, that's why I picked up this book, and that's why I was bitterly disappointed in reading it. Like I said, I really wanted to like this, but...
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2010 11:32 PM BST