Profile for Ian Brocklehurst > Reviews

Content by Ian Brocklehurst

Ian Brocklehurst

Page: 1 | 2
Lenoge® Dell Inspiron 1525 1545 1526 1440 1750 Laptop/Notebook Battery Fit for GW240 RN873 K450N
Offered by Orelax

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement battery!, 22 May 2015
Was slightly worried at how cheap this item was but, so far and a month or so in, it's breathed new life into my old Dell laptop which previously couldn't operate at all without being plugged into the mains. I've not tested it on battery only for any length of time but for short term use away from the mains (which is generally what I need) it's more than adequate.

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing

2.0 out of 5 stars A slow, contrived read., 27 Jan. 2015
Well constructed story but I found the plot frustrating especially as the contrivance hiding the real reason for Elizabeth's disappearance seemed so obvious. Why did nobody.mention Elizabeth's illness earlier? I know some people have raved about this book but I found it as gripping as chewing cotton wool.

Panasonic DMC-TZ60EB-K Lumix Compact Digital Camera (18.1 MP, 30x Optical Zoom, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD (New for 2014) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing little camera!, 26 Sept. 2014
Only had this about three weeks so I'm still getting to grips with it but I'm very impressed. In full auto (which is all I want initially) it performs brilliantly usually finding the right exposure and even selecting whether it's a portrait or a landscape. The zoom is accurate with little sign of blur even at long range and hand held. The macro feature really does allow you to get incredibly near to objects. The GPS feature is great fun too, rapidly detecting where you are. The wi fi fi transfer feature was ok and it was intriguing to remotely operate my camera using my iPad but to transfer pictures it was just as easy to remove the SD card and put it in my computer.
My main reason for buying this was its small size (much less bulky than my SLR when on holiday) and the viewfinder and I liked the latter feature a lot. On sunny days it's so much easier to use this to frame pictures. OK, it's not the clearest of views - though there is a feature in the menu to increase its resolution - but definitely better than struggling to view the LED screen in bright sunshine.
Battery life seems a bit on the low side; I seemed to get about 120 shots before the battery began to run low but I may have got this wrong and, anyway, good cheap replacement batteries (Ex Pro Ultra) are available on line and seem to perform just as well as the Panasonic ones.
As I get more familiar with this camera I'm sure I will enjoy using all the manual features it has to offer as well but, for the time being, I'm extremely happy.

LADIES REGATTA LIGHTWEIGHT BREATHABLE WATERPROOF JACKET IN A BAG SIZES 10-26 (12, BLUEBERRYPIE)

5.0 out of 5 stars God value kagoul, 8 Sept. 2014
Good colour, well made and very good value. Exactly what I needed. Item was delivered quickly too.

Alan Turing: Unlocking the Enigma (Kindle Single)
Alan Turing: Unlocking the Enigma (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting biography, 13 Aug. 2014
Shortish but very interesting account of Turing's life and achievements. A little more technical detail of his code breaking work at Bletchley would have been welcome but that would have made the book much longer. It definitely sparked my interest and I will be reading more detailed accounts as a result.

The Last Witness: A DCI Daley Thriller
The Last Witness: A DCI Daley Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably good but not outstanding., 5 Aug. 2014
Good sense of place throughout with some very evocative descriptions but the ending seemed melodramatic, rushed and left some slightly unsatisfactory details that were unresolved. The plot was interesting but the resolution (twins for heaven's sake!) strained credibility and was glossed over by the writer almost as a throwaway.

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary Part 2: More Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary Part 2: More Ghost Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of ghost stories, 16 Feb. 2014
Having seen several screen adaptations of M R James on television, I always wanted to read the stories myself and this free volume provided the perfect opportunity. They are all very good with some of them genuinely chilling. Highly recommended!

London Symphony Orchestra Highlights
London Symphony Orchestra Highlights

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sampler of the LSO., 5 Feb. 2014
Apart from being totally free to download, this sampler provides an excellent overview of the LSO's brilliant performances. The music is lovely with some brilliant performances and the selection of tracks is imaginative. Some of the recordings sound slightly dated to my ears but for a free album, who's quibbling?

Silva Screen Soundtrack Sampler
Silva Screen Soundtrack Sampler

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sampler!, 5 Feb. 2014
It's free! If you are a fan of film music the selection of tracks on offer here is brilliant with a good mix of the familiar and the slightly off beat. Well worth it even if you only listen to it occasionally.

TOMTOM USB Lifetime Free Traffic Receiver Car Charger Vehicle Power Cable Cord for TOM TOM XL 335 340 350 335TM 335T 340TM 340T 350T 350TM TM T M GPS Navigator (4UUC.001.01, 4UUC.001.01, 2UUC.002.00)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and effective, 5 Feb. 2014
Much cheaper than usual so I was a little worried as to whether it would be any good. It is! My TomTom latched on almost immediately and it now provides glitch free traffic information. Excellent value for money.

Page: 1 | 2