Profile for D. J. Farrell > Reviews

Content by D. J. Farrell

D. J. Farrell "davefarrell" (Hyde, Cheshire)

NEW TEAC CRH240
NEW TEAC CRH240

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant bit of quality kit, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: NEW TEAC CRH240 (Electronics)
A quick word of warning for those wanting/expecting a compact quality system capable of playing MP3 discs, this will NOT play MP3 discs. First thing I tried when I powered it up. I have seen these on various websites and some list MP3 playback in its features and some do not. If this is not an issue for you then I would recommend this quality bit of kit.

It is very easy to set up and use. I had a load of DAB stations at my disposal within minutes of switching it on, using the supplied 'T' wire aerial. A clever feature with the DAB radio, is that it has the ability to remember which stations you have listened to frequently and flag them as favourites with a little heart symbol. These will then be stored together at the beginning of the list of stations, so your favourites are alongside each other with the other stations on hand should you need them.
The sound is nice and crisp and is perfect for use in a bedroom, which is where mine is situated.
The display is nice and bright and has the neat feature of automatically dimming when you set the sleep timer. It can also be dimmed manually if you so wish.

Bass and treble tone controls can be adjusted individually. On the rear there are a number of connections, these include phono sockets for auxiliary items, connection for a sub-woofer and an optical out socket. The connection for the DAB aerial is a proper F-Type and the speaker connections are proper bare wire binding posts on both the unit and speakers.

It is heavy and has a nice solid feel to it which just adds to the overall quality.

One thing to bear in mind is that both the unit and the speakers are quite deep and will not sit on shallow shelves. So if you are thinking of replacing an existing system with this one, I would check the space you have or consider repositioning it.

These are currently on ebay from the official argos clearance shop for just a little over £100 delivered. Bargain!

Sony S-Video Cable (PS3)
Sony S-Video Cable (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for all Playstations, 17 Oct 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Despite Amazon having it under the PS3 heading, it will work for both its predecessors too. It says so on the packaging and as it is an official Sony product it must be right. I bought it for my ageing PS2 (one of the 'fat' ones) and it is great. Go on, treat your PS whatever its number!

Cordless Action Controller PS2 Gamepad
Cordless Action Controller PS2 Gamepad

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 16 Oct 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Set up in no time and it works faultlessly. Has a nice solid quality feel about it. Very impressed overall.
To give you an idea of the range, the original wired controllers fell about 1M or so short of where I wanted to sit and as it claims 10M range on the box it is more than adequate.

Sony CMTNEZ7 DAB/CD/MP3/Cassette Micro System
Sony CMTNEZ7 DAB/CD/MP3/Cassette Micro System

5.0 out of 5 stars A little DAB'll do ya..., 16 Dec 2005
I wanted a source of music for the bedroom and seeing that this played MP3, CD-R & CD-RW discs and it had a DAB radio I was more than interested.

It is not terribly expensive and you can see where Sony have made cuts to keep the price down, that said it is still quite a handsome unit. This is my first venture into DAB and I can say that I am impressed with the choice and clarity. The CD player works well with MP3 tracks, enabling you to choose which album to play then each individual track (providing of course you put them on the disc in that way). It will play in random order too. There is a sleep facility that allows you to listen to the radio and it will shut down after the chosen time.

I agree with the previous reviewer about not bothering with AM or FM as DAB has it all. Sony recommend that you get a proper aerial for DAB broadcasts but I have been using the basic wire one that comes with the unit and have had no problems with the stations I listen to. There are a few stations it cannot tune but this maybe regional or because of the limitations of the aerial.

My main HiFi comprises of separate units, each costing more than twice this so I am used to a certain level of sound quality. So putting things into perspective when considering the performance, this is, for the price a good buy for a kitchen, conservatory or bedroom.

I have bought my parents one for their kitchen as a Christmas present as I am that impressed.

This is a nice piece of kit for DAB introduction at a reasonable price.

Sledge Hammer - Series 1 [DVD]
Sledge Hammer - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Rasche
Offered by rileys dvds

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust Me...I Know What I'm Reviewing, 4 April 2005
All you Hammer Heads out there will know what a great show this was and like me probably have VHS copies from the original TV screenings and re-screenings that are more than a little worn. I was really looking forward to the DVD release of what was one of my favourite shows of the time. I was not disappointed, it was well worth the wait. There were a few episodes that I had not seen before so it was even better!
A great cast and funny scripts make this a real gem. Season 2 is even better.
This is a fantastic package and very well presented. A real credit to Anchor Bay.
The Region 1 release for the Season 2 set is scheduled for April 2005. Please can we have a Region 2 release soon!