Profile for Martin Pratt > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Quiet End (John Corey)
A Quiet End (John Corey)
by Nelson DeMille

4.0 out of 5 stars All in all a great novel, its usually more than year between instalments, 2 Jun. 2015
Nelson Demille has written another page turner, I read it in two sessions!
This is a bit different from previous novels in that the action takes place between morning of Sunday 11th September, starting with a routine surveillance operation, ending at about 6am the following morning. The author reminds us that although the current 'threat level' comes from the Middle East, indeed his last two novels have used this plot line, a resurgent Russia under Putin makes an alternative threat credible.
Previous John Corey novels have taken place over a longer time line, this enables the maverick lead character more time to disagree with his supervisors and to rebel, with his marvellous sense of sardonic wit shining through and to be proved right (again). Because of the short time line of this story, this side of John Corey cannot develop as succinctly as in previous novels. Thus we can admire his quick thinking but are denied the battle of wills to the same extent as before. Thus we still get John the hero but not John the underdog hero.
All in all a great novel, its usually more than year between instalments, here's hoping the next one comes quicker!

Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren 7)
Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren 7)
by Lisa Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars but I have enjoyed them all and this one is probably the very ..., 19 May 2015
7th book in the DD Warren series; I think I may have missed one or two in the series, but I have enjoyed them all and this one is probably the very best that I've read so far

Reasonable Fear: 4 (Joe Dilllard Series)
Reasonable Fear: 4 (Joe Dilllard Series)
by Scott Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars they really are very good reads. the central character, 19 May 2015
no relative of mine, just coincidence of surname, I first came across Mr Pratt's novels about a year ago, mainly as I was searching for 'court procedurals' . they really are very good reads. the central character, Joe Dillard, is a well rounded individual with real problems and day to day issues and over the four books I have read so far he's been on quite a journey. But it is all so realistic and plausible. I know there are only 7 books, I feel a need to ration out the last three!

The Law Of Second Chances
The Law Of Second Chances
by James Sheehan

5.0 out of 5 stars this was an excellent book. it is a stand alone novel, 19 May 2015
this was an excellent book. it is a stand alone novel, although it sort of follows on the Mayor of Lexington Avenue, and you don't need to have read this one first, or indeed at all. The Mayor of Lexington Avenue I thought an okay book, a bit slow at times, whereas this book is far superior: story line was griping, characters you cared about and an all round good read

Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy)
Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy)
by John Lescroart
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars I found this a little heavy going. Its the ..., 19 May 2015
I found this a little heavy going. Its the first in a series and I deliberately started with this one for this reason. I do recall some other reviews, which I read before buying this, which suggested that the style has evolved greatly over the course of the series. Whilst there is nothing intrinsically wrong with this book, I'm not sure that my interest was piqued sufficiently to read any later ones of the chain.

Closer Than You Think
Closer Than You Think
by Karen Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars a good plot and a logical story line, 19 May 2015
This review is from: Closer Than You Think (Paperback)
this was a very enjoyable, well crafted, well paced novel. I have previously read many of Ms Rose's earlier books, but have not read the last half dozen or so. No particular reason to avoid them they were just coming out so thick and fast I lost track of which I had read and which were merely being promoted. Anyway, it had lots of interesting characters, a good plot and a logical story line. Its a long book, one that you might feel tempted to read in a single sitting (because it is so enthralling) but at 700 pages or so that was not possible. Did not drag in the elast though.

The Missing (Darby McCormick)
The Missing (Darby McCormick)
by Chris Mooney

3.0 out of 5 stars it was an easy read, pages turned quite quickly, 2 May 2015
I read this about a month ago. it was an easy read, pages turned quite quickly. However, four weeks later I cannot recall much more about it. This for me is the test of a good novel: how much it impacted on me at the time and my enthusiasm and recollection for it days and weeks later. That's why I have only given it three stars.

Shoulder Rope Pulley Maintain Range Of Motion
Shoulder Rope Pulley Maintain Range Of Motion
Offered by PHYSIO STOCK UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by my physiotherapist following a shoulder injury, 2 May 2015
Recommended by my physiotherapist following a shoulder injury: well thought out and designed. really light weight and yet robustly constructed. Very good

Bosch PSM 100 A Multi-Sander
Bosch PSM 100 A Multi-Sander

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I not buy one of these before? ..., 2 May 2015
Why did I not buy one of these before? For years I've managed to do all my sanding manually (and there's still a place for that) but this is ideal for both intricate work - as the point of the 'iron' allows access to places where manually it would be difficult, as well as for larger areas.
It comes with three papers, a smooth, medium and coarse. They do seem to wear down quickly, I've not actually sought out replacements yet (I think another review mentions they are quite pricey for what they are), this on-going need and cost of the consumables would be my only negative point.

Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers)
Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers)
by Alexandra Sokoloff

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought I was not going to like it because of the disappointment after the gripping start, 2 May 2015
an intriguing tale. It started in a hurry and then went into 'slow burner' mode. I thought I was not going to like it because of the disappointment after the gripping start. but persevere, it does build up and ends well. The readers sympathies moves from the FBI 'hunter' to the 'huntress' and back again. I won't say more as it would spoil the tale for others. I see that there are two follow on books which I shall probably read too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4