Profile for John > Reviews

Content by John

John (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
MSI BigBang-Xpower II Motherboard (Intel X79 Processor, 128GB RAM, XL-ATX, RAID, Gigabit LAN, Socket LGA2011)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great motherboard, great design (mostly) and great for overclocking!, 5 Feb. 2014
I bought this as I needed 4 x 16x physical lanes on my motherboard for 3 GPUs and a RAID card. I also purchased it because I love the plain black design. The only bad thing I can think of about this motherboard are the gun-styled heatsinks which really aren't my style, but other than that, this motherboard is great.

I absolutely love the onboard controls (PCIe power switches for debugging purposes mainly) are extremely useful.

Flux In-Ear Mobile Headset (PC DVD)
Flux In-Ear Mobile Headset (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality - Not so great build quality, 5 Feb. 2014
I bought these and my immediate reaction was: they feel very light and flexible - I hope they're not too weak.

Well, unfortunately they are. They lasted just over half a year, but the sound quality is excellent and I did love them while they were still alive. A loose connection is the problem I had with them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 11:31 AM BST

Eddie Stobart - Trucking Songs
Eddie Stobart - Trucking Songs
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album. Just a few songs on there that I wasn't too keen on., 5 Feb. 2014
The title says it all really. It's a CD and has a number of songs on it. In my eyes, it's a great compilation CD for the car but could be a bit better. When I read trucking songs, I generally think things more like what's on CD1, but CD2 and 3 mix a few songs on there that I wouldn't choose. Just my personal preference and everyone's is different. I actually bought this for my Dad and he said basically the same as me.

Corsair CH-9000020-UK Vengeance K95 Performance MMO/RTS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Black
Offered by Value_Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard. Love it!, 5 Feb. 2014
First things first: I've never used a mechanical keyboard before and I wanted to try it out so this is my first experience.

I wanted media keys and I wanted to be able to start up applications at the press of a key on the keyboard I purchased and so that narrowed down the selection of keyboards I could use by a hell of a lot. I saw this from CES 2013 and thought it looked absolutely amazing and so I was led strongly towards it when I got round to replacing my keyboard.

Am I glad I bought this! It's wonderful! The keys feel very nice (Cherry MX Red keys) and not too noisy though they are louder than my old keyboard. The software is relatively good and setting up the macro keys is quite simple.

By default, this keyboard won't work pre-OS on my machine and so thanks to its handy BIOS selection feature, I can switch the BIOS to one that does work when I need to.

As for build quality, I do really like it, however the macro keys are on a plastic extension which does feel a little cheap and makes the macro keys feel different (a bit mushy). Other than that, great keyboard!

Corsair Vengeance M95 MMO/RTS USB Laser Mouse - Gunmetal Black
Corsair Vengeance M95 MMO/RTS USB Laser Mouse - Gunmetal Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, but not the best., 5 Feb. 2014
I bought this mouse to replace my Razer Lachesis 5600 as I wanted more buttons!

Unfortunately, Windows is not capable of understanding all the buttons for standard actions, and the default buttons don't suit the way I hold the mouse. The software is pretty good though and makes it relatively easy to set things up the way you want them to work.

The build quality is absolutely amazing and it looks really nice but other than that, it's not really anything that special. Then again, it's a mouse and the most special you can really get is "moaar lightz". (Before anyone argues with me about that, I know that there are a lot of differences between mice, for example laser or optical, lower DPI/CPI or higher, the shape and feel of the mouse etc).

One thing I almost forgot: the middle click is extremely heavy compared to what I've used before. I've gotten used to it now, but at first it was extremely uncomfortable and awkward to work with. It will take some getting used to if you've not used heavy middle click mice before.

HighPoint Int-MS-1M4S 1m Internal Mini-SAS to 4 SATA Cable
HighPoint Int-MS-1M4S 1m Internal Mini-SAS to 4 SATA Cable

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 5 Feb. 2014
These cables were the cheapest and best looking cables that I could find. This is for my own gaming computer that I use to store a lot of media files too and so I have a RAID card and multiple HDDs. I wanted something that'd look nice were it's visible but still be functional. This suits that just fine!

My only minor issue with it is that the build quality does feel very low and I assume that's why they're so cheap, but if you're not going to move the cables very often, then this should be just fine for basic RAID use.

HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL 8-Port PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS/SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller with RAID 6 Support
Offered by SUKEROKUizm-EU (Cool Japan Select Shop)

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 5 Feb. 2014
You may be wondering why I gave this 3 stars and said "Almost perfect!"... Well let me explain:

I've never used another RAID card so I have nothing to compare it to, however, this seems to provide wonderful performance for my uses (RAID 5 with 4 x 4TB Seagate Barracudas) giving me approximately 450MB/s read and write (sequential) at optimal performance and it's relatively easy to set up and use.

However, for the first couple of weeks that I had this, it worked perfectly and my boot times had not been affected (other than a 10 second BIOS screen). But after a couple of weeks, my Windows boot time heightened to around 10 minutes, which at first seemed very ridiculous. Fortunately, I don't often switch my computer off so it's not a great nuisance, but I don't know why it does it and I can't figure out how to stop it. My computer works perfectly other than that, as does this card, but it's certainly something I can't figure out and does bug me. I'm assuming it's something to do with some drivers somewhere in my computer, whether it be the ones for this card or something else.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 6:35 PM BST

Logitech G27 Force Feedback Wheel and Pedal Set (PS3/PC DVD)
Logitech G27 Force Feedback Wheel and Pedal Set (PS3/PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great steering wheel for racing games and simulators!, 5 Feb. 2014
I bought this to replace my Logitech Driving Force GT. I loved that wheel and it made driving games so much more entertaining that with mouse + keyboard or an Xbox 360 control but it lacked the H-shifter and clutch that I really wanted to make my experience even better.

This wheel is amazing. The build quality is superb - far greater than that of the DFGT (though that's sturdy enough!) and the H-shifter makes your games so much more immersive.

My only gripe about the H-shifter is that it doesn't have 7 forward gears and so I've had to assign reverse to 7th gear in games where some vehicles have 7 gears. This is a minor nuisance as you'll usually have to hold some other button down when reversing, but for my main use (Euro Truck Simulator 2), the 6 gear H-shifter is perfect! I've modded the game to allow the 6 positions to control 24 gears allowing me to use this wheel with other mods that I use which is just even more awesome.

The little LEDs don't natively work with many games, but they can be made to work with a wonderful and free program called FanaLEDs. This gives you customisable control over what LEDs light up and when which is quite awesome.

Another little thing about this which is not so amazing is that there are only 8 easily accessible buttons (6 on the front and the two paddle shifts) when you're driving and you have to move your hand to the H-shifter module to press the other buttons and D-pad. It's not a problem in a lot of games, but there are some games that you wish you had just a couple more buttons on the wheel for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 2:41 PM BST

Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2M:1, 250 cd/m2, 8 ms, HDMI/DP/mini DP/USB)
Offered by NG Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Had an old TV as an auxiliary monitor and wanted to replace it with something better, 5 Feb. 2014
I've used many brands of monitor in the past and I've always found that Dell's are the best (in my opinion). So when I decided I was fed up of my lower resolution, poor colour reproduction TV as an auxiliary display, I turned straight to Dell for its replacement.

This monitor was definitely the best choice I could make as as soon as I took it out of the box, it felt very sturdy and well built and looked very nice. When I was wiring it up, I noticed that it has 3 display port connections: one full-size IN, once miniDP IN and one full-size OUT. I can only guess that this is intended for multiple monitors out of a single display port connector, but I haven't used that feature so I cannot say for sure.

I have 3 Dell 2312HMs that I love and was tempted to just buy another instead, but I thought I'd spend a little more and get something that looks even nicer and it was a great choice. The monitor looks amazing and the bezel is absolutely tiny! I think the spec says that the bezel is 6mm but I swear it's only 3 or 4mm, though it does have the bigger bezel on the bottom. That means that it wouldn't suit an Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround setup in portrait (which I use my 2312HMs for) but would be amazing for landscape.

I'm no monitor expert, but the colour reproduction looks very good and I love the screen - very clear, even backlighting and media looks great on it.

JBL J33 In Ear Headphone - Black
JBL J33 In Ear Headphone - Black
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced old in-ears with these and couldn't be more impressed!, 5 Feb. 2014
I used to use another set of in-ear headphones and they had good sound quality but were not so strongly built and the cable died after around 8 months of usage.

So I bought these instead and I have only been amazed by them so far. Great sound quality and great build quality! They feel like you could have a tug-of-war with them and they'd survive.

Page: 1 | 2