Profile for lakelander > Reviews

A Chinese Ghost Story [VHS] [1987]
A Chinese Ghost Story [VHS] [1987]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the version to get, 17 Jan 2011
Having lived with a version of this film recorded from TV back in the 80s, I was disappointed when I eventually bought it on DVD a while ago. The main reason is that, as others have commented, its subtitle translation is dreadful, to the extent that it put me off a film which had become a corner-stone in my wife's and my film-viewing history. After a bit of research I came to the conclusion that I would have to go back to a pre-DVD videotape version to recapture what we regarded as the 'original'. When we received this and anxiously watched it, we were delighted to find it shared virtually the same translation as our much loved copy - still quirky and clumsy in one or two places but certainly not distracting from the visual action and characterisation. There seem to be other minor variances too such as the points where the very atmospheric background music plays. The only downside to this version is that the subtitles are rather large and set in a panel below the picture, which is rather small as a result. Obviously the bigger your TV the less you'll mind this!

Delia's How to Cook Book Three
Delia's How to Cook Book Three
by Delia Smith
Price: 15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Deila classic, 17 Jan 2011
This series was greeted with a bit of cynicism from some quarters when it first came out but it's certainly proved itself and become a classic since. My wife's an excellent and experienced cook but she didn't have this third volume of the series. Since getting it, she's been delighted by what it covers and knows it will add to her existing skill and range of dishes.

Wolves 2011
Wolves 2011
by Browntrout Publishers Inc.
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure fire Christmas present, 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Wolves 2011 (Calendar)
My wife has been bought a Wolves calendar each Christmas for about the last seven years. It never fails - her enthusiasm for each new month's picture of this beautiful creature never wanes.