Profile for HT > Reviews

East End Paradise: Kitchen Garden Cooking in the City
East End Paradise: Kitchen Garden Cooking in the City
by Jojo Tulloh

1.0 out of 5 stars Same as Freshly Picked!, 28 April 2016
Really annoyed to find this is EXACTLY the same as her previous book "Freshly Picked" with a different cover and title. its a lot of hassle returning a book and I lost out on the postage. I feel a bit cheated and worried about buying books by this author again.
If you haven't read Freshly Picked then I can certainly recommend it, particularly if you're an avid gardener as well as cook.

A Hopeless Romantic
A Hopeless Romantic
by Harriet Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars So dull, 28 April 2016
This review is from: A Hopeless Romantic (Paperback)
It's very rare that I abandon a book before finishing it, I found this one to be really slow and plodding in parts and finally gave up when I reached chapter 14 and the author decided to dedicate three whole chapters to the lead character's (Laura) holiday in Norfolk with her gran and parents, complete with intricate details of their food, drinks and dull trip to a stately home. Talk of shed fixing and trivial pursuit and just wow, wth? I have no idea how long the holiday bore lasted, this was around 1/3 of the way through.
I haven't read anything by this author before and I doubt I will again. It lacks structure - whilst it got off to a speedy start, darting in and out of Laura's dodgy/blind taste in men in then goes on and on about her boring affair with an unavailable man, the best way to sum it up is scatty and a bit all over the place. It's like being ranted at by one of those people who speaks to fast and won't quite get to the point and frequently goes off on a random tangent. By the time Laura's affair had come to an end I was exhausted and beyond imagining or hoping where the storyline might lead when I was then faced with chapter after chapter of holidaying with old people in Norfolk. I love chick lit and a good laugh out loud romcom but am truly perplexed by the 5 star ratings of this book.

Simon & Tom Yoffee Clear - Premium Fungal Nail Treatment. Suitable for Finger and Toe Nails. With Tea Tree and Argan oil. 10ml
Offered by Beauty Solutions Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works!, 26 Mar. 2016
I am only 3 weeks into this treatment. I have a fungal infection in just one of my bug toenails but it was bad. I've tried a few different things from the chemist in the last 6 months and non have helped, my nail got worse, turning darker and more crumbly on one side and the infection spreading towards my cuticle.
Since I started using this I can't believe the difference! The dark crumbly part turned white and I was able to cut most of it off after a week, the remainder of the nail is also much lighter and my nail is growing out healthy from the cuticle. I am taking biotin also to speed up the nail growth so I can get my healthy nail back quicker - previously this made no difference as the fungal infection was spreading across my nail bed towards my cuticle. Now that the fungal infection is dying the healthy growth is obvious and I have every confidence I will be able to wear open toe sandals this summer. Very impressed! I will keep using it and report back.

Gardman Extra Large Raised Bed
Gardman Extra Large Raised Bed
Offered by Garden-Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars I've purchased two of these now. Went together with ..., 15 Mar. 2016
I've purchased two of these now. Went together with ease and seem reasonable quality. It didn't come with a liner but was so cheap for a raised bed of this size, you couldn't build it for less unless you had some spare wood kicking around. Only giving 4 stars as the wood was quite damp when it arrived. Will edit next season to report on how it fared the winter.

10 Classic Yellow Ochre Dinner / Table Candles - 24cm - 8 Hour Burn - Non Drip
10 Classic Yellow Ochre Dinner / Table Candles - 24cm - 8 Hour Burn - Non Drip

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT NON DRIP!, 15 Feb. 2016
These are not non drip candles!!! I stupidly did not test them for dripping and they have ruined my beautiful candelabra and a very expensive table. It is really irresponsible to sell these as non drip, I buy them also for safety reasons because I have a small child and a disabled adult in the house, hot wax is dangerous and if it accidentally drips or is spilt it burns. They are also a really murky yellow colour, not as vibrant as they appear in the photo.
Comment Comment | Permalink

RevitaLash Eyelash Conditioner 2,0 Mililiter
RevitaLash Eyelash Conditioner 2,0 Mililiter
Offered by The Boom Bargain

3.0 out of 5 stars I was a bit disappointed when I received the product, 8 Mar. 2015
I was a bit disappointed when I received the product, the seller included a note saying if I left a positive review I would receive a freebie of the same product. At this point I figured it might all be a big con, but am happy to report otherwise. I have had eye lash extensions on and off for over a year and it was really ruining my lashes, plus every time I had a break from them I felt like I had pig eyes. A stranger told me about this product after I commented on her exceptionally long lashes, I figured it was cheaper than the extensions and so didn't have much to lose. I am now on week 4 and my lashes are much longer and thicker already. My beauty therapist (who normally does my lash extensions) has been measuring them against the falsies I used to have and has confirmed I've gone up two sizes in false lash, so they've grown about 2.5mm already. My lower lashes have got really long, so much so I've stopped using it every day on the lower lash line. I am not yet at the point where I can go without mascara but not far off, when I do wear mascara they look really long and I use a cheap £2 mascara from natural collection for daytime. Overall I am confident it does what it says and look forward to my lashes becoming longer still! I have just started using it on my brows where they are thinner in parts and have high hopes.
EDIT: since posting the above I have had some difficulty in obtaining my free "product" - which turned out to be a mac sample of something. I would have probably left a positive review anyway, however was met with a rude response when enquiring and the ambiguous "get one free if you leave a review, just shows a lack of integrity - it has spoiled an otherwise pleasant transaction. Great product, poor service.

The Druid Craft Tarot: Use the Magic of  Wicca and Druidry to Guide Your Life
The Druid Craft Tarot: Use the Magic of Wicca and Druidry to Guide Your Life
by Philip Carr-Gomm

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but big!, 11 Aug. 2014
I have started reading tarot again after a 10 year break and have tried a few decks before settling on this one. The illustrations are beautiful and rich in symbolism, similar theme to the Rider Waite which makes it useful for beginners or those starting over like me. The reasons I've rated it a 4 and not 5 are -

1/ the cards are huge and very difficult to shuffle, it is nice to see more detail but id prefer a smaller size for sure
2/ the reverse of the cards are a dull brown with a simple border, as there is no pattern scratches show up really easily, despite this being a new deck and used only a handful of times many of the cards are already scratched and as a result some are identifiable to me before I flip them over
3/ the book is nicely laid out and of good quality, it's worth reading and I especially like the numerological references and detailed descriptions of the court cards, however the minor arcana only get a few paragraphs for upright and reversed and lots of vital info is missing - would recommend you buy a good tarot book to use alongside if you are a beginner.

Overall I really do like them and have already had some very accurate readings from then, though I am on the hunt for a more easy to handle (smaller!) deck as these are just too big and clumsy for regular use.

The Yellow World: Trust Your Dreams and They'll Come True
The Yellow World: Trust Your Dreams and They'll Come True
by Albert Espinosa

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird, 31 July 2014
This is such an unusual book! I had no idea when I bought it that it was about cancer. I was drawn to the cover and abstract design, it intrigued me, it still does.

Albert Espinosa describes his experience of fighting cancer from the tender age of 14 to 24. The first part of the book focuses on the lessons he learned, it is quite philosophical and thoroughly inspiring. Throughout he references "yellow people" with the promise to elaborate further later in the book. This is where it all got a bit vague for me.

Espinosa describes yellows as what most of us would call something like a kindred spirit, soul mate or perhaps a chance encounter with a stranger that touched us deeply. He goes on to describe how to identify these people, but it's all a bit fractured and confusing. His philosophy is actually quite simple - you will meet people in life from who you will connect with and learn something important, he suggests they will all share a common thread - or 23 to be precise, and encourages you to determine what these 23 marks of "your" yellows are, so you can find them. He then goes on to suggest how you might interact with these yellows. Some of these suggestions are poetic and lovely but I struggle with the way he writes as though they are essential, or the only way. I don't believe there is one way for all, for as he says himself - we are all different.

I'm not sure a "yellow" can be defined in these contexts. Most sensitive, thoughtful people are aware of these chance encounters, meeting of minds or beautiful moments with another person, sometimes fleeting and sometimes enduring. Many do not have a heart big enough to accept those communions or lessons when faced with them. Some of us will identify them and others will drift through life seeing none of the beauty or wisdom that is right infront of them.
It's a fascinating subject but Espinosa has tried to box it up and label it based on his own experience and he has not done so very concisely.

Overall, the first part of the book is interesting and inspiring. Espinosa faced his battle with cancer bravely, with great humour and spirit. He beautifully describes his associations with people and the wisdom they imparted, but his final chapter on "yellows" is baffling, self righteous and a very frustrating if intriguing read. It will force you to ask questions and analyse the subject of yellows, but provides no real answers or enlightening wisdom.

Would I recommend it? Probably not, it's not much of a self help book. Though people suffering from cancer may draw some strength from it.

Tarot of the Hidden Realm
Tarot of the Hidden Realm
by Julia Jeffrey
Edition: Cards

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Tarot of the Hidden Realm (Cards)
I haven't picked up a deck of tarot cards in almost ten years, I previously read from the enchanted tarot, which I adored. However I wanted to start over with something different and felt very drawn to this deck.
There is no denying the illustrations are beautiful, each card is like a portrait. Whilst I am madly in love with the artwork I knew as soon as I looked at each card that they were not going to be easy to read.
There is a lack of the symbolism that is prevalent in some more traditional decks, my rusty cogs need these visual clues and I am really struggling to interpret the illustrations.
The book offers interpretations but they focus on the being in the portrait, describing him/her as an individual and it's traits, it isn't always easy to translate this into something other than a personality.
For sure this is a beautiful deck and I don't doubt those that are very experienced in reading the tarot will love it, but if you're new to tarot or like me have had a long break and need those familiar symbols with which to refresh your mind then this deck will likely be a struggle.
I am going to purchase another deck to start my tarot journey again but will keep these beautiful cards until I am a bit more proficient.

Happy Endings [DVD]
Happy Endings [DVD]
Dvd ~ Will Ferrell
Offered by wantitcheaper

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Happy Endings [DVD] (DVD)
This is by a long way the most boring movie I have ever had the misfortune of watching. I hung in there hoping it would get better and the plot would become clear, then it ended, and I was like WTF was that. Pass!

Page: 1 | 2