Profile for Calixthe > Reviews

Content by Calixthe

Calixthe

Page: 1 | 2
11th Hour: (Women's Murder Club 11)
11th Hour: (Women's Murder Club 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Patterson story, 11 May 2012
I consider good stories to be those that are insightful, engaging and entertaining while rife with lessons. 11th Hour fulfills that. It turned out to be a well-deserved wait. The characters are very real too in a way that most people can relate to them. The pointed narratives and dialogues served their purposes. I enjoyed 11th Hour and Triple Agent Double Cross and will read them again. I like good stories that leave me feeling like I missed something in the story.

THINK FAST DIE LAST
THINK FAST DIE LAST

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 11 May 2012
I like action-packed thrillers and H Ellison's Think Fast Die Last fulfills that. The characters are rich and exciting The story is written with a perfect mix of narrative and dialogue which makes it fast-paced and the page-turner that it is. With a brilliant plot that reminds me of Triple Agent Double Cross, this story deserves the credit it has been given so far. Thumbs up H Ellison.

Night
Night
by Elie Wiesel

5.0 out of 5 stars Very touching, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
This personal account of the holocaust by Elie Wiesel's book is a horrifying story of the Nazi death camps. The author tells the story in a simple manner, yet it is easy for a reader to end up feeling haunted by the accounts in NIGHT. It stirs sadness and profound questions in the bosom of a reader. The lessons from this book about the evil side of fallen human nature and the faith, courage and moral strength to fight the evil must never be forgotten. I recommend this book to any reader interested in the holocaust and the specter of mass killings plaguing the world today.Survival In Auschwitz, Disciples of Fortune, Triple Agent Double, Anatomy of a Nightmare,The Gulag Archipelago are also recommended reads to help have a better understanding of threat humanity faces from the evil ideologies of hate.

Peter the Great: A Biography
Peter the Great: A Biography
by Lindsey Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars The Russian legend, 30 Mar. 2012
This is a well-written book that tells the story of the legendary Russian Czar and an era in ways that few other books have been able to door. It is written with a deep appreciation of facts and flows smoothly.Peter The Great's personality is well describes, his travels well told, his goals well articulated and the challenges he faced trying to realize them well exposed. I ended up knowing more about Russia,its history, culture and mind set in ways that I never imagined before and set me on the path of looking for other works that explain Russia to a foreigner better. It led me to The Union Moujik,The Master and the Marguarita. What we see as divisions in Russia today, or the broader Eastern Slavs are well explained.

We Die Alone
We Die Alone
by David Howarth

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating story of endurance, 11 Mar. 2012
This review is from: We Die Alone (Paperback)
This is a story I enjoyed reading right from the opening chapter. I like stories that ring true and depict human endurance that make our daily ordeals look pale in comparison. We Die Alone does just that, with Jan and his friends going through trials that take them through hell and back. I like the era, WWII, after reading Disciples of Fortune that has a similar setting. The plot of We Die Alone is brilliant and the writing flows in an effortless manner, bringing forth a strong narration and succinct dialogue. Overall, this is a great story.

Peter the Great: His Life and World
Peter the Great: His Life and World
by Robert K. Massie

5.0 out of 5 stars The Russian legend, 5 Mar. 2012

Feast Day of Fools
Feast Day of Fools
by James Lee Burke

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast in its own right, I would say, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Feast Day of Fools (Hardcover)
This is a touching and insightful story. I love deep writing and do not hesitate to show my appreciation when I come across one.This is a well written work here with tons of good characters. The prose is excellent, the dialogue flows, the narrative is effective, the plot is gripping and the style is unique and simple.There is no point going on and on. The month has been off to a good start; reading The Oaf and Feast Day of fools. This is a story that will strike a chord with its target readership and even beyond. However, I am glad I stumbled onto it.

The House of the Mosque
The House of the Mosque
by Kader Abdolah

5.0 out of 5 stars A good story, 19 Jan. 2012
This eerily true to life story is well written. I applaud the author for the depth of his imaginative mind, which is revealing in this story. He drew the reader into the story from the opening chapter all the way to the end.The descriptions are very vivid and gives the reader a sense of the setting that is almost real.Its depiction of religion in the way some people apply it in the every day lives of man is very reveal, bringing to mind a description I read in The Union Muzhik. The author did a great job at characterization. The compelling plot added further credibility to the quality of the story and the pacing made it a page-turner. Coming from reading Triple Agent Double Cross, I have deep respect from authors who take us to unfamiliar settings and implant us to the point that we relate to the story and its characters as if we were there. This is a story that will strike a chord with a broad readership.

One Day
One Day

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep and fun book to read, 12 Dec. 2011
This review is from: One Day (Kindle Edition)
A lot has been said and written a bout this book, so there is little to add. However, it lived up to the hype. The author did a great job of creating distinctive and very believable characters with voices that resonate very well with reality. The way the story is written reminds me of the the thriller Triple Agent Double Cross. The plot in this story is brilliant and the setting makes it even more appealing. There are tons of lessons in this book. In short, this mesmerizing story attests to the creative mind of the author.

The Best of Me
The Best of Me
by Nicholas Sparks

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this story, 24 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Best of Me (Paperback)
November has been a month of reading for me. So, I had enough time in my hands today to spend on this story. But I started it late at night with the intention of reading three or four chapters before falling asleep. But I was wrong. Nicholas Sparks sucked me in from that first chapter. The story is deep, gripping and wide in scope, drawing from mind-blowing dimensions. The Best of Me, and Disciples of Fortune are my favorite reads of this month. The unique style of the writing is unusual, the setting is great and the unique style of writing is an added attraction too. It makes the blood run hot and cold in turns.

Page: 1 | 2