Profile for Zanna T. Laws > Reviews

Content by Zanna T. Laws

Zanna T. Laws "ZTL" (Tasmania)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
We'll Meet Again
We'll Meet Again
Offered by Revival Books Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully some sunny day!, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: We'll Meet Again (DVD)
It's rather stiff and dated but no less enjoyable for all that. Based in a small English village during WWII and how they cope with the 'invasion' of an American airforce base.

Justified - Season 1-4 [DVD + UV Copy] [2010]
Justified - Season 1-4 [DVD + UV Copy] [2010]
Dvd ~ Timothy Olyphant
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Epitaph for Elmore Leonard, 30 Sept. 2013
I rented season 1 of this series not sure if it was my cup of tea. By episode 2 I was totally hooked - so much so that I bought this boxed set and wait excitedly for Season 5 to be released.

There is something utterly compelling about this series. It is based on an Elmore Leonard short story 'Fire in the Hole'. It takes place in Kentucky - a state where religion and guns go hand in hand and people often get shot for the stupidest of reasons. A bit scary and hilarious at the same time for people in a country where guns are not the norm. Timothy Olyphant, as the laconic deputy sheriff who tries so hard not to shoot people but usually always does, is not only gorgeous but mesmerising. The acting and writing is clever and superb and you actually care about the characters. It is not often that you get an American series of this calibre and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Moonlight - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] [2008]
Moonlight - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Alex O'Loughlin
Offered by FREETIME

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately not eternal, 12 May 2013
This sadly short-lived series had a different take on the whole vampire genre. Mick Saint John is a vampire private detective who doesn't kill humans but keeps blood in the fridge, sleeps in a freezer and whose love interest is a human cop who he saved when she was a child. Also the myth that vampires burst into flame in sunlight, have no souls and fear crosses is dispelled here - at one point Mick explains that to be scared or not 'is a life choice'!

I enjoyed this show - it was well written and acted and should have gone on for many more seasons. Alex O'Loughlin (Mick) is an Australian actor although, like in most American shows, has to speak in an American accent rather than his own.

Moonlight highlights the problem that it seems the good stuff always gets cancelled and the dross continues on!!

COLD SQUAD - The Complete Series 1 [IMPORT]
COLD SQUAD - The Complete Series 1 [IMPORT]
Offered by MMRSALES

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Cold Case, 28 Feb. 2013
Canadian series such as Cold Squad and the brilliant Da Vinci's Inquest have a quality totally lacking in American shows of the same genre. The acting and writing are excellent and they have a gritty realism without resorting to excessive blood, gore and perfect mascara. I caught both shows when they were aired at the crack of dawn on TV and have waited for Cold Squad to come out on DVD for a long while. Sadly, it seems that the whole series will not go to disc. DVI for instance ran for 7 seasons but only seasons 1-3 are on DVD. Having a multi-region DVD player helps, of course, as they are also Region 1.

If you want compelling, intelligent viewing then don't hesitate to buy both Cold Squad and Da Vinci's Inquest. You will be pining for more when the last episode plays!

Miranda - Series 2  [DVD]
Miranda - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabbyfun!, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Miranda - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I adore Miranda. She can do no wrong in my eyes. She is clever, insightful and hilarious and some of the situations she gets into had me laughing out loud! She is also wonderful in Hyperdrive.

Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen
Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen
by Jane Hawking

3.0 out of 5 stars Infinity and beyond - oh dear!, 1 Feb. 2013
To be fair I haven't quite finished it yet and I am a fast reader! Thus far I like the somewhat conversational style of the writing but it doesn't keep me gripped for hours on end and is just picked up in occasional quiet moments. Apparently this is the abridged version. Even so there is quite a bit of repetition and I feel a lot more could have been safely removed and more diligent editing would have done no harm. I also get no real insight into Professor Hawking himself and he is the one I am interested in. Jane Hawking has some conflicting and confused opinions about things and to a certain extent it often feels like she is preaching religion to readers - and I don't like that. All in all she leaves me with the impression that she is diffident and ineffectual and, had she been a more positive person, her life might not have been quite so demanding and difficult. For some reason it is hard to feel sympathetic towards her even though she is certainly deserving of it.

Stephen Hawking: A Biography
Stephen Hawking: A Biography
by Kristine Larsen

2.0 out of 5 stars oh for a black hole to throw myself into after this!, 1 Feb. 2013
I find the life and work of Professor Hawking fascinating - hence this purchase. However, this book shows the perils of buying online. If I had looked at it in a shop I would have hastily put it back on the shelf! I waded through three chapters before throwing it to the ground in disgust. Why? It is a biography of an English icon but not only does it read like rehashed sentences from other biographies but, most off-putting of all, is written by an American for Americans and every teensy bit of common knowledge is described to the nth degree as if revealing some arcane mystery. I had to suppress several small screams of anguish!!

I was going to say I hated it but felt that was a bit mean. I am sure some people will like it. I think I will donate my copy to a charity shop!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Complete Seasons 1-7 [DVD]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Complete Seasons 1-7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Michelle Gellar

5.0 out of 5 stars Stake of the Art!!, 7 Dec. 2012
I avoided Buffy for years assuming it was childish tosh. Then because I loved Firefly so much I wanted to see what other Joss Whedon offerings were like. So I rented Buffy season 1 and was hooked. Joss Whedon is a favourite of mine - especially Firefly - his writing is so clever, humorous and I love all the puns and sarcasm. I also like the way Buffy progresses. It begins light heartedly enough - despite the demons etc - and Buffy herself seems a bit frothy. But as the series progresses she matures and has to face all that life throws at adults only she has creepies to deal with too!! It gets darker and darker without losing the humour of course... and then there is Spike - sigh!!

The next step was to buy the boxed set. The only complaint I have is that the episodes are not listed anywhere in the packaging.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2013 4:18 AM BST

The Long Earth
The Long Earth
by Terry Pratchett

3.0 out of 5 stars Multiple Earths in many days, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Long Earth (Hardcover)
This is an entertaining tale and a great story concept. I like the work of both Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter but in all honesty I don't think it is the best work from either of them. The story just seemed to end without coming to a satisfactory conclusion and left me feeling a bit unsatisfied. Perhaps I am just not philosphical enough!!

Angel - Season 4 (New Packaging) [DVD]
Angel - Season 4 (New Packaging) [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Boreanaz
Offered by Champion Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all in the hair product..., 7 Dec. 2012
I avoided Buffy and Angel for years thinking it was only meant for kids How wrong I was and after just a few episodes became a fan. Well written and fun as we have come to expect from Joss Whedon but I have to confess to liking it more when Spike shows up and, of course, the lovely and sorely missed Andy Hallett as Lorne! If you liked Buffy then you just have to get the Angel series if only for the wonderful bit where Spike is observing Angel saving a wench and the screechingly funny running commentary he gives.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3