Profile for A. J. Martin > Reviews

Content by A. J. Martin

A. J. Martin (Huntingdon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Cambridgeshire Ghosts and Legends
Cambridgeshire Ghosts and Legends
by Polly Howat

4.0 out of 5 stars A page-turning thrill of local spooks, 31 Oct 2013
I picked this book up a while back, and have really enjoyed going through the stories, particularly about the ghost of Jacob Cross - who haunted Potters Lane, Ely, who is one of my relatives!

The book is a great read, regardless as to whether you know the area like I do.

Highly recommended.

Disunited
Disunited
by Anthony Camber
Price: 8.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong women and camp men in 'own goal' tome, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Disunited (Paperback)
Took me a couple of goes to get into this book, Camber's third. Football and gays - two subjects I've always ignored books on - but I kept with it, as i'd enjoyed his first zombie book.

The writer seems to have a convincing knowledge about the topics in this book, and Disunited acts as a 'what if' scenario for exploring both the sporting taboo of being a non-retired gay professional footballer, with a dash of feminism in the sport (the latter feeling somewhat hurried, but reminding me of a 'Footballer's Wives' sub-plot).

A few cheesy plot turns (the nachos, and tv bedroom moments) made me wince, but these are literally kicked aside by the brutal reality of the homophobia that abruptly interrupts when the going seems good.

Not as good as his debut 'Til Undeath Us Do Part', but this book must surely be more about making a point about the state of football, players, fans, and managers.

Black Shuck: The Devil's Dog
Black Shuck: The Devil's Dog
by Piers Warren
Price: 7.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Norfolk at its darkest, 7 Oct 2012
Having known of 'Black Shuck' all my life, and also having frequently visited North Norfolk's coastline, I had to read this book.

I have to say that i found this book to be a real page turner which kept me hooked as i read at night, giving me many bleary-eyed mornings. The authors attention to detail is spot on, and the use of short chapters keeps a pace with the plot.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and reading through the other reviews here, I was pleased to see that The Watch House exists!

Maybe I'll go.... but keeping my eyes peeled for that dark shaggy shape on the pebbles.

Treatment of Poverty in Cambridgeshire, 1597-1834 (Cambridge Library Collection - Cambridge)
by Ethel Mary Hampson
Price: 21.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A great insight into the poverty and life in Cambridgeshire, 18 Jun 2012
This book is perfect if you're a family historian, a local, or a local historian - there's plenty to learn here, particularly as it is detailed enough to even bear a few names alongside the many parishes and workhouses that it covers.

Cambridgeshire has a rich agricultural history, and together with it's flat harsh landscape, poverty was rife - with whole communities dependent solely on local landowners and the success of the harvest.

This book can help to fill in the gaps of those pre-(useful)census years, where you can only begin to imagine what life may have been like.

Till Undeath Do Us Part
Till Undeath Do Us Part
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An escalating university zombie romp, 5 Jun 2012
I know Camber's choice of streets and places well, but next time i find myself there, I'll be wide-eyed looking for movement in the shadows, just in case there's something lurking, ready to bite.

I found the book very easy to read, it has the right pace with short chapters that alternate between the then and the now. This approach helped to connect the characters and also to explain their reasoning in the 'now' chapters. I found the core characters completely believable and genuinely absorbing - leaving me wondering who would survive this plague of ravenous zombies, and keeping me guessing right to the end.

Camber's intimate knowledge of Cambridge can only have come from living or studying here, as could the observations of its student characteristics. He's spot on.

A thoroughly enjoyable, compelling, page-turner (ok, page-swoosher as it's only on Kindle).

LEGO 6360 The Weekend Cottage
LEGO 6360 The Weekend Cottage

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little escape, 5 July 2008
LEGO seemed to stop releasing residential sets at about this time (1987) but this little one is a lovely little set. The attention to detail is great - the porchlight, the lamp inside, the chimney top, the fryingpan and its contents. Thanks Lego :)

I bought this from Amazon Marketplace and it was great. It's easy to build and the instructions are very clear and it gives you a perfect blueprint for you to base some of your own houses on as it uses some pretty standard bricks.

Lego Weekend Cottage is the perfect addition to my Legoland.

Ghosts Of Essex [DVD]
Ghosts Of Essex [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Felix
Offered by zoverstocks
Price: 7.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Richard Does Essex, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: Ghosts Of Essex [DVD] (DVD)
Former Most Haunted Historian, Richard Felix, takes you on an informative tour of some of Essex's paranormal treats including the infamous Borley Rectory site and HM Prison at Chelmsford.

Packed with historical information, Richard meets local historians, ghost hunters and a whole host of spooky destinations in search of their ghostly inhabitants.

If you were a fan of Richard's Most Haunted episodes, then you'll enjoy seeing this dvd too - it's like a MH Richard Felix special but without him being told off by Yvette!

LEGO City 7732: Air Mail
LEGO City 7732: Air Mail

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice little model, 2 Feb 2008
This review is from: LEGO City 7732: Air Mail (Toy)
This is quite a nice little model, new for 2008. It's been a long time since Lego bothered to produce any Post/Mail sets (I've got a load from the 80s) and this small plane is quite a nice addition to them.

There's loads of pieces, for what you actually end up with but it was easy to build and doesn't appear to fall to bits easily. There's a slight flaw in the hinged roof compartment, in that it's hinge is made in a way that allows it to remain in position if half closed. Unfortunately, it also means that when you try and open and shut it, the hinge resists and the whole bit falls off in your hand.

Overall, i'm pleased with this item.

Glorious: The Singles 97-07
Glorious: The Singles 97-07
Price: 4.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but clearly she's not happy, 9 Sep 2007
Okay, so it's 10 years since the brilliant cover of TORN came out that catapulted Natalie Imbruglia back onto our screens, after her break from playing Beth in Neighbours.

Three albums later and this 'singles' album feels somewhat forced. I'm getting the impression that Ms Imbruglia wasn't happy about having to release this compilation and I think that whilst the 'old' singles are great, 'Glorious' isn't quite up to its name. I think Natalie would have been vastly happier releasing the new album, which she seems very keen to tell everyone, 'is out in early 2008'.

Catharsis or a compromise with the record label? You decide.

Doctor Who: Made of Steel
Doctor Who: Made of Steel
by Terrance Dicks
Price: 1.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember, it's a Quick Read, 24 April 2007
I think it's worth remembering that this is a 'quick read' which is generally aimed at encouraging kids to read or a few adults when they have the time. For example, I read half of this book in bed last night and I'll no doubt read the other half tonight. For 1.99, you can't really fault that.

With that in mind, yes it is short, but then it is meant to be and i felt that I was reading a 10th Doctor and Martha story. It reminded me somewhat of the 'Short Trips' books that have previously been published for the preceding Doctors. The author has clearly watched enough of Tennant's episodes to know who he's writing about and how to write him.

So far, I've found the story easy to follow, easy to read and it has left me wanting to know what's about to happen.. and that in my mind, is a brilliant foundation for a good book.

Page: 1 | 2