Profile for Shaun Dowdall > Reviews

Content by Shaun Dowdall
Top Reviewer Ranking: 588

Shaun Dowdall "Shaun Dowdall" (York, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Crenova 720P HD WIFI Home Surveillance IP Camera with Motion Alarm Detection Support Night Vision for Home Security
Offered by RAGU Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product with plenty of features, 6 Feb. 2016
Please note, I was sent this product to offer an unbiased review.

Despite the fact that the instructions were very poorly written, the end result is an awesome wireless camera that I can access anywhere from my smartphone. It is small, compact, and feels very premium. At first glance I thought everything would be cheap plastic, but after unboxing it all, I was surprised to find that most of it is metal. This gives a real premium feel and also adds weight to the device so it won't fall over all the time (mine survived two cats attacking it)

So, how easy is it to pair? Much easier than the odd instructions make out. Download the app, make sure your phone is connected to the wifi, plug the camera into the mains and make sure it's near your router, and bam! It's pretty much done. When you load up the app, there are some easy to follow instructions, much better than the booklet.

Once you're paired up you can access the cameras video and audio from anywhere you have data. I accessed mine on the network, and also away from home over my mobile network. Both times everything worked fine. I could access the audio and speak through the camera (which is great for confusing my cats)

When accessing the camera you have the option to record video, or take screen shots. These can save directly to your phone, or you can save them to a memory card in the camera. There are also alarm features that work on motion, or voice. Voice comes in very handy for pet owners, as the camera will listen for human voice and alert you if it picks up on this. I don't have to worry about the cats setting this off unlike with motion. If the alarm is triggered it will email me and I can then log in and view what is going on in the house.

For the price this is just an awesome product. It gives you peace of mind and works fantastically well. It's also an awful lot of fun!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo "Ultra High Performance, 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes, Universal CPU Cooler" Black Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install with fantastic results, 6 Feb. 2016
This is a great cooler and easy to fit. I've had others in the past that were next to impossible to get installed, but this was a breeze and took about half an hour max.

Once installed, I found that my temperatures dropped dramatically, and I was finally able to overclock without fear of melting my CPU.

I would definitely recommend this to others.

Home Treats ® Computer Desk With 3 Drawers & 4 Shelves, Home Office Workstation (Black)
Offered by HOME TREATS

4.0 out of 5 stars A little small, but a good and easy to assemble desk, 6 Feb. 2016
Please note, I was sent this item to offer an unbiased review.

Well, after spending a good amount of time putting this thing together, I have a desk! The instructions are pretty clear, and all parts and screws are clearly labelled which makes putting this thing together pretty easy. Normally you will need someone to help you translate the mess on the page in front of you, but these were clear and straight forward.

All in all, it took me about 2 hours to put this together. It came well packaged, although there was so much Styrofoam everywhere! Seriously, it was like an endless ocean of the stuff.

So once the desk was put together I found it to be pretty nice. There were a few imperfections and chips on things like the handles, but they weren't that noticeable. One thing, this is actually pretty small and you definitely couldn't use it with a PC tower. If you're wanting to use it for a work space, then it will only really work well with a laptop as the room under the desk is cramped and small.

It feels relatively durable, although I wouldn't want to put too much weight on it. Mine ended up with a monitor and speaker on top and it all feels sturdy, but given it's size, I wouldn't want anything weighty on-board.

For the price, this is a good looking and functional bit of kit. If like me, you're pretty tall and need leg space, or you want a desk to put a PC tower with, then this isn't the desk for you. However if you're just after somewhere to write, or use a laptop, then this is a lovely desk.

iPad Pro Leather Protective Case, KVAGO Genuine Leather Smart Cover with Hand Strap Stand Flip Shell Stylish Elegant Retro Vintage Real Leather Sleeve Folio Case for Apple iPad Pro 12.9 inch Tablet Black
Offered by Kvago

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality case and adaptable, 6 Feb. 2016
Please note, I was sent this product to offer an unbiased review.

The first thing that struck me when I opened this case up was just how premium it looks and feels. It's very well made and looks absolutely fantastic. The iPad fit's perfectly, with all ports accessible and easy to use. It does add a little bulk to the device, but it's not a massive amount. One thing regarding the bulk, the case comes apart, allowing the user to detach the outer casing making it easier to use as a tablet.

The case allows the user to prop it up with the inclusion of a small magnetic stand which is discreetly placed on the rear. This is a handy feature, especially if you want to pair it up with a bluetooth keyboard or watch any video.

All in all, the case offers fantastic protection, while also being very usable. It's got a nice range of features and is adaptable to most situations that an iPad user might find themselves in.

Microsoft HD-500 Docking Station for 950/950 XL
Microsoft HD-500 Docking Station for 950/950 XL

2.0 out of 5 stars A fun experiment, but no where close to a PC like experience yet, 6 Feb. 2016
One of the big features that we got to see with the newly announced Lumia 950 and 950 XL, was Continuum. After picking up my 950 I tried Continuum using wireless methods, and they worked pretty well, but with noticeable lag. Finally, I managed to get myself a Microsoft dock and took Continuum out for a real test drive.

I'll admit, the results are ok, but until there are more apps supported, it's not really worth the investment. The big problem, app support. For anyone who has stuck around with Windows phone, you already know that the platform doesn't really get much support from developers, so I'm not holding my breath for anything to change with Continuum.

While using my phone on the big screen I found myself continually having to pick up my phone to use an application because it had no support. Continuum doesn't even try to just scale it to the big screen, it just gives you the option to load on your phone. Granted, the Microsoft apps work amazingly well, Office for example is absolutely fantastic.

When I first started using the dock, I found it laggy, unresponsive, and just awful to use. Edge browser didn't work, and most of the Microsoft apps were broken. After trying a full restore on my phone, I found that this fixed all of my issues (but it was a pain having to do a restore just to use my phone with a dock!)

So, I've said some not so great stuff about the dock, but it does have some great points. The dock itself is beautifully built, with a very premium finish. It's heavy, so you won't have to worry about it sliding all over your desk. A big win, it uses USB C to power the dock which means you're not going to end up with multiple types of cables to carry around.

The experience is ok. The apps that work are fantastic and great to use. When hooked up with a mouse and keyboard Continuum almost fools me into thinking I'm using a full blown version of Windows, but then I click on an app that's not supported, or try and multi-task, and I'm reminded it's not even close. At this stage though, this is NOT a PC like experience, it's a Windows 10 skin on a big screen that lulls the user into thinking it is more than it really is. As of right now you can't really do that much, and to be honest, you'd be better off getting a cheap Windows tablet that runs a full version of windows and hooking this up to a display.

The overall experience is ok, average, but it's not what Microsoft are bragging about. To be honest, getting an Android device and HDMI adapter probably works just as well, if not better than what Continuum can currently do, at least all of the apps scale to the large screen, even if they do look a little ugly. For the price, and the fact that you will end up carrying another accessory and more cables, I can't really find it to recommend this. It's a good experiment, and if Microsoft can actually get developers on side, then there is huge potential, but given their track record I'm not holding my breath.

Wireless Headphones,Venstar®Bluetooth 4.1 Headphones Headset,Noise Cancelling,apt-x,23 Hours Play time, Hands-free Calling Foldable Over ear Headphones for iPhone iPad,Samsung Android,TV

5.0 out of 5 stars The best bluetooth headphones I've used, 23 Jan. 2016
Please note, I was sent this product in exchange for an unbiased review.

These are a fantastic set of headphones, comfortable, stylish, and awesome audio quality. They come in a well presented box, all folded and ready to go in a stylish carrying case. In the box you'll find, the headphones, a 3.5mm cable, carrying case, micro USB cable, user manual, and warranty card.

They are easy to start up, giving the user the option of using bluetooth, or a 3.5mm cable to pair your device. The option of having both forms of connection is great as it means you're always going to be able to use these headphones with pretty much any device, old or new.

When it comes to noise quality these things are fantastic! The noise cancelling is mind blowing, literally cancelling out everything else around you while you listen to your music or take your calls. The audio range is brilliant, and my music sounds great when using these headphones. I can't stress how good these things are, especially considering the price!

The look and feel is good. They look stylish and they are extremely comfortable to wear, although, a little on the heavy side. However they are well cushioned and fit very well. They fold up and become even more portable which is a welcome feature.

I would personally be willing to pay more than the asking price when it comes to these headphones, and after reviewing other bluetooth headphones, I can safely say these are the best I've had the pleasure of using. Definitely worth picking up a pair.
Comment Comment | Permalink

VicTsing Wireless Bluetooth Hands-free Car Kit FM Transmitter MP3 Player Charger with Dual USB Type A Charging Port, LCD Digital Screen,3.5mm Audio Mic Port For iPhone 6 6S 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 Note 2 3, HTC One M7 M8, Sony Xperia L39h, L36h Z1 Z2, LG G Pro 2, Nokia Lumia 920 1020 1520, Blackberry Z10 Z30 Q10 and all Bluetooth Devices
Offered by VICTECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and insanely easy to set up, 17 Jan. 2016
Please note, I was sent this product to offer an unbiased review.

When I first popped this device into the cigarette lighter port in my car I was pretty surprised to see how quickly it was all up and running. After not reading the product description or instructions correctly, I expected to be forced to use an AUX cable, especially considering the price, but to my surprise I was able to pair my phone using Bluetooth.

Once paired the device will display the station channel you need to search for on your cars radio, giving you the option to switch these to whatever suits you better. Once the channels match, start playing music, and bam. It really is that simple.

The device itself feels durable and has an adjustable gooseneck so it will pretty much support all cars. You can adjust the display to make it easier to reach all controls while driving, and the addition of USB pass through is extremely handy as it means you can still charge your mobile device while using this at the same time.

Considering the price, this is a bargain and does a fantastic job. I'm more than happy to recommend this to anyone in the market for such a device.

[With HDMI Cable] VicTsing Quad Core Android 4.4.4 Smart TV Box XBMC Media Player Full HD 1080P WIFI HDMI Netflix XBMC, YOUTUBE, Netflix, QQ, SKYPE, GAMES
Offered by VICTECH

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome value for money with great video quality, 16 Jan. 2016
Please note, I was sent this product to offer an unbiased review.

So here's an interesting device. With the smart TV market heating up, there are more and more devices finding their way into consumers hands. Of course we've all heard of the big brands like the Amazon Fire TV, and the Apple TV, so what room does that leave for other, smaller, brands?

Well, apparently there is room! I personally use an Amazon TV box and I love it, so when I booted this device up I had some pretty high expectations. The first thing that struck me was the custom launcher installed on the device, something that I didn't expect to find. I thought it would just ship with plain old Android, making it difficult to use as a TV box, but the custom launcher makes using this with a remote an absolute breeze.

The box comes pre-loaded with media streaming apps such as Netflix and there are plenty more available from the Google Play store (a bit of advice, when I first logged into the Play Store it didn't work, however once I updated it, it worked perfectly).

Content looked great when streamed from Netflix, with sound and picture quality rivaling the big names, and having access to the Google Play Store gives users a huge range of content. Basically, if you can get something on your phone then you'll find it on this device.

There are some issues with this device, but they are to be expected at such a low price. First thing, and it's not a huge gripe, but the box itself is incredibly light, to the point that if you knock a cable it will go flying. The remote it comes packaged with needs clear line of sight, we really are talking direct line with no obstacles. I thought the remote had stopped working, but it was just not pointed direct at the box.

To be honest this is worth checking out. Granted, the user interface isn't quite as nice as the big name TV boxes out there, but for the price you can't go wrong. If all you're after is streaming TV and Movies to your big screen then this is worth giving a go. The cons are relatively minimal, and there really are plenty of great points!
Comment Comment | Permalink

NIUTOP Apple Watch Stand, iWatch Wood Charging Stand Bracket Docking Station Stock Cradle Holder for Both 38mm and 42mm
Offered by toparts2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great look charging stand, 8 Jan. 2016
A great little stand. This looks stylish and it's well made, with small compartments for your charging cables which will help to keep them organised.

The slot for the iPhone is large enough for all iPhone's which is handy, and will also mean that the chances are this thing will be future proof when Apple update their style in future. Also the slot for the iPhone is large enough to hold the phone with a case still on.

The stand is solid and well built, with a good amount of weight behind it which means it's not going to slide away if you knock it.

Please note, I was sent this for free to offer an unbiased review.

Microsoft Lumia 950 5.2-Inch 32 GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Microsoft Lumia 950 5.2-Inch 32 GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing phone, 4 Jan. 2016
Likes
• Light weight
• Lightning fast
• Awesome camera
• Dedicated camera button

Dislikes
• Random key presses
• Reboots
• Average battery

Introduction

So I finally have it, my Lumia 950. With the arrival of Microsoft’s first flagship handset, running their latest mobile operating system, things could really shape up and get interesting. The real question is, can Microsoft’s latest device hold its ground, especially when the competition is already fierce?

In all honesty, if you’d have told me 6 months ago that I’d be using a Windows device as my daily driver, I’d have laughed myself to death. I hated Windows 8 and disliked Windows Mobile just as much. The whole thing just seemed to be a mess, but after trying the Insider version of Windows 10 Mobile, my ice cold heart started to melt. A few months later and I’m wielding a Lumia 950.

So, let’s take a look at my thoughts and impressions.

Look and Feel

The first thing you’ll notice about the Lumia 950 is how nondescript it looks. A plain black slab with rounded corners. There’s no metal, but I don’t mind, the plastic shell feels durable with its matte finish, and it’s replaceable. On the rear of the device you’ll find a silver windows logo, camera hump, and triple LED flash. At the top is a single 3.5mm headphone jack, then left side has nothing, the bottom has a USB C port, and then the right side has volume rocker, power/lock button, and a camera key!

So all in all, it’s pretty plain, but it looks smart. The Lumia 950 resembles something I’d expect to see if the HTC HD7 and the Samsung Galaxy S2 had a baby. It feels light weight and comfortable to hold, and as I mentioned above, the back is replaceable and there are already some awesome looking rear cases hitting the market. Check out the Mozo shells as an example.

The display! Oh it’s gorgeous. It’s bright and the viewing angles are insane. This is one of the best displays I’ve seen. The quality is absolutely fantastic. I always hear people talk about the quality of blacks on the screen, and until using the Lumia 950 I hadn’t really paid any attention. In the dark the blacks blend in completely, leaving nothing but the colours on the display. It makes for a pretty interesting illusion when you’ve just got a Windows logo hovering above your hand when the phone boots up in the dark. Out of all the displays I’ve seen on a phone, this has to be the best I’ve seen.

Camera

The Lumia range have always been known for their fantastic camera’s and the Lumia 950 is no exception. The device is capable of capturing amazing photos with very little effort, but if you’re into playing with camera settings then you’re in luck!

There are a range of settings that you can customise, allowing for better manual shots to be captured. Also, for those who really seek quality, you can capture in both JPEG and DNG formats.

When using the Lumia 950’s camera I was impressed by how well the automatic settings worked. The auto focus was pretty good at finding it’s target, and macro photography works well with this device. I’ve used plenty of mobile phone cameras and when it came to close up shots they always seemed to struggle at close range, the Lumia 950 however performs great here.

The addition of the camera shutter key is a welcome one. It not only allows you to load the camera quickly just by clicking the button, but it also allows for better photography. You can hold the phone in a more natural position which will help minimise shake, and just click the button, there’s no need to try and get your finger on the screen. There are also two levels to the camera shutter key, a light press will focus the camera, and a second harder press will capture the photo.

The camera performs well in low light situations, with images coming out with very little noise compared to other smartphones (I’m looking at you Xperia Z5!) and for those truly dark situations you have a triple LED flash. Now, like most phone camera flashes this one isn’t great, with a tendency to light things up too much, draining colour from the subject, but it does perform better than most others. I would have preferred a Xenon flash like the Lumia 1020 had, but then I also like not having a huge camera hump.

I love playing with cameras, and the Lumia 950’s is a pleasure to use. From my experience it blows the competition out of the water, even the Xperia Z5 range.

Windows 10

I think it’s safe to say that regardless of the hardware Microsoft threw at their latest handset, unless they got the operating system sorted then it was destined to be a sinker. So how is it? A pleasure to use is the answer!

There’s something great about the simplistic look of my home screen. It’s easy to navigate to every app or service I use on a regular basis and the home screen doesn’t feel crowded despite having almost every app I use pinned to it. Love them or hate them, Live Tiles are back, and for the first time ever I find myself preferring this over the competition. My folders are organised, becoming one big live tile, for example, all of my office applications are in one folder, with the Live Tile cycling what is on display so I can see all the apps in the folder at a quick glance.

Windows 10 is lightning fast, with apps opening quickly and multi tasking working like a dream. The settings menu’s have been cleaned up, making individual options a lot easier to find now, unlike previous iterations in which it was sometimes impossible to find a setting you needed.

The Action Centre has also been improved, resembling Windows 10’s desktop counterpart. Pull down from the top and you’ll see your notifications, and just above these you’ll find your 4 most commonly used settings. Hit the expand button and you’ll find more quick settings, enabling you to toggle features quickly without digging deeper. These quick settings can be customised, allowing the user to chose which quick options you can add to your Action Centre.

As is always the case with Windows Mobile, the Lumia 950 comes with a host of Office Applications. We’ve got Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook. These apps have all been massively improved and are a pleasure to use, even on the smaller screen. Outlook allows you to pin your individual email accounts to your home screen, letting you get to the email account you want faster, rather than having to fish through the app. Of course, these apps all become even better when you hook your Lumia 950 up to a monitor and use Continuum (More on that later)

So, it all seems pretty great right? Well, just remember that Windows 10 Mobile has literally only just launched for consumers, so you will find issues. So far my phone has rebooted every couple of hours (although this seems to have stopped since a software update last night) and certain apps seem to go a little mad, or just not work properly (I’m looking at you Groove Music!). I’m sure there will be updates landing quickly, but it’s worth taking into consideration that you will face issues during this early stage.

Despite these issues, the overall feel of the operating system is great. I absolutely love it. Is it for everyone? Probably not, but if you want something that looks and feels professional, is productive and easy to navigate, then Windows 10 Mobile is worth a look.

Windows Hello and Continuum

Windows Hello is perhaps my favourite feature of my Lumia 950. There’s just something fun about lifting my phone up and having it scan my eye to unlock! I mean, who wouldn’t have fun with that?

Once I got over the gimmick I found myself impressed by how accurate the scanner is. You can train it multiple times in the settings, which obviously helps increase accuracy. Windows Hello works in darker conditions, it works at arms length or right next to my eye, and it works at angles so you don’t need to stand like a statue, you can just unlock your phone naturally. If you switch between wearing glasses, then have no fear, Windows Hello recognises my eye with or without my glasses.

Now, there are two big problems with Windows Hello. The first is that it makes me unlock my phone like Derek Zoolander, I always seem to stop and strike a pose. Hopefully this will end soon! The other issue is that almost everyone who has seen me use this feature has immediately asked “What happens if you lose both of your eyes?”, this is normally followed by me being given some pretty insane hypothetical situations that I have to come up with solutions for.

When Microsoft announced the Lumia 950 they also revealed Continuum. This made me weak at the knees, and seeing it in action still has me really excited. As I mentioned above there are plenty of productivity apps and once they’re loaded up in Continuum they look just like their desktop counter parts. This is quite frankly awesome!

It’s in the early stages right now and doesn’t allow for multiple apps to run in windowed mode which is a shame, but hopefully with future updates Continuum will become even more similar to the Windows 10 desktop we are all becoming used to.

One thing that I feel is worth mentioning is that Continuum works with pretty much all forms of display adapters, both wired and wireless. I originally thought it would only work with Microsoft’s Display Dock, but then I paired my 950 with my Amazon Fire TV and BAM! Continuum worked. You can load Continuum with Miricast devices, standard HDMI adapters, basically anything that will pair your phone with a display. Pretty handy.

I won’t go into a massive amount of detail regarding Continuum as it deserves it’s own article, and also I need to spend more time with it before I can form any more opinions.

The App Gap

Whenever anyone talks about Windows Mobile, the ‘App Gap’ always seems to get thrown in there. Now, let’s be honest, there is a lack in applications for Windows mobile, but with universal apps working across all Windows 10 devices, it looks like the future could get brighter. For me, the app issue isn’t a big one. Everything I need and use on my phone I can download, with only a few apps that I’d like missing from the store.

However, there is one huge and glaring issue, and that’s maps! Here Drive is no longer the default sat nav app, which is understandable, but what really breaks my heart is that the application is no longer available to download. This wouldn’t be an issue, but Microsoft’s own maps app just isn’t as good.

Oh well! Things will get better, especially with universal apps, and to be honest there are already plenty of apps available.

Battery

One thing that I loved about my Lumia 640 was the battery. I was getting about 3 days of usage so I was hoping that the Lumia 950 might deliver similar results. Sadly it doesn’t, in fact, it’s one of the let downs on this device. Now, it’s not bad by any means, I get at least a solid day, we are talking at least 24 hours, but I wouldn’t like to try and get all the way through the second day without a charge.

One of the benefits is how fast this device charges. I plugged it in for about half an hour and came back to find the battery had almost completely charged from practically being flat. Now that’s impressive, I only wish the battery lasted a little longer, but it’s certainly not below average so it will do!

Conclusion

Well, that’s a brief overview of my thoughts on the Lumia 950. I absolutely love it and I can’t wait to see what comes with future updates to the software. This isn’t a phone for everyone, and probably shouldn’t be one that users who absolutely love their applications should get just yet, but this is definitely worth keeping an eye on. If Microsoft can deliver on their promises to get more apps onto their platform then they stand a very real chance of gaining market share in the mobile sector.

My only concern is how poorly Microsoft have handled the launch of the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. They confused potential buyers with where and who they could buy the phone from, there was also a lack of launch date and a huge delay between announcement and actual launch. To top it off, in the UK right now this device is still pretty much vaporware. It’s almost impossible to find in any stores which makes adoption… Well… Impossible! Fingers crossed Microsoft will pull their fingers out and give this device the support it deserves.

So, would I recommend this phone? Yes! Absolutely. I will be using this phone as my personal device and would put this head and shoulders above the competition in so many departments. It feels great and the camera is superb. If you’re a fan of the Windows ecosystem then this could be your next mobile purchase.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2016 3:58 AM GMT