Profile for Shaun Dowdall > Reviews

Content by Shaun Dowdall
Top Reviewer Ranking: 799

Shaun Dowdall "Shaun Dowdall" (York, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
globehopper 15.6" Matt Black Laptop Briefcase Messenger Bag with Shoulder Strap & Carry Handles, Leather Feel
Offered by globehopper

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and stylish, 14 July 2014
This briefcase is durable and stylish, offering plenty of storage. There's pretty much a compartment/pouch for anything you could need to carry, allowing the user to keep everything separate where needed. The issue I had with my last laptop bag was that I had to carry my charger and laptop in the same section, with this bag I can have all my cables in one pouch, keeping my laptop free from any potential damage.

Although this bag is on the large side, when the separate pouches aren't in use it becomes relatively compact.

My only major concern with this bag is that the strap squeaks an awful lot, leaving me cautious and wondering whether or not the clasps are going to snap, like my last bag did. Fingers crossed this won't happen! Apart from this one issue I'm very happy with my purchase.

Dolextech high qulity mofi Nokia Lumia 1020 phone case cover stand (For Nokia Lumia 1020, yellow)
Offered by DOLEXTECH

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful colour, 14 July 2014
The case is an ok design, offering good protection for the screen. The two major issues with this case however, first the colour is absolutely ghastly, I hoped it would match the yellow of the phone but it's a million miles away, more of a dull mustard rather than a vibrant yellow. The second issue is that the case is extremely soft and I doubt it will last very long.

All in all I'd recommend giving this case a miss and grab yourself something better.

Qifull QT10 Qi Wireless Charger Pad for Google Nexus 5 /4 /7 Nokia Lumia 920/820 HTC 8X/Droid DNA LG Optimus LTE2 (Black)
Offered by buysku ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device with handy extras, 7 July 2014
I've tried a few wireless chargers now and this is by far the best I've used. It's a solid build and extremely light weight which is fantastic and pretty much the perfect size.

The pad is not too large or small, giving plenty of room to fit your device on comfortably.

There are a couple of big wins for this wireless charger, the first being that it will charge your device from flat. I've found that some wireless chargers are not capable of charging a device when its battery is completely out of juice, this one however, is more than capable. The second big benefit that I have found is that the charger has a small light that will flash when it detects your device, the light going solid when the device is placed in the correct position, giving a short beep to signal that you've placed it correctly, great if you're fumbling in the dark.

The charger is plugged in via a micro usb cable, unlike other wireless pads that take a completely different plug. Massive benefit that means you're not stuck carrying different cables.

As with all wireless charging devices, charging time is slower than directly plugging your phone into the mains, however this isn't the slowest device by a long way.

I've tested my charger with a lumia 1020 and Galaxy Note 3 and I must admit I'm really happy with this charger. It's fantastic quality with some really nice little extras. For the price you cannot go wrong!

The Remaining: Aftermath
The Remaining: Aftermath
by D. J. Molles

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it, 29 Jun 2014
Introduction

After reading the first book in the series I was pretty much hooked, desperately needing to crack on with the next book. As soon as I finished with the first, I downloaded Aftermath onto my Kindle and got reading, enjoying the changes that have been made in the second book.

Style

The style is very similar to the first book, descriptive and following the point of view of our main character, Captain Lee Harden. What I really enjoyed about the second book is that it covers a wider group of characters and really begins to flesh out the world while keeping the suspense and fantastic story telling alive from the first.

Characters

I briefly touched on this above, but there are a lot more characters in the second book, rather than having a singular focus on just one and a few extras. I felt that this really helped to develop the story with the addition of some interesting secondary characters. In the second book we now have a villain, a whole new group of survivors and a fantastic post apocalyptic world for them to explore.

The one thing that I did find disappointing about some of the characters was that there were some clear 'going to die' ones, the same as you get in a horror movie, their only purpose is being hollow and getting eaten by the monsters. They are few and far between, but when they show up they remain true to their genre.

Plot

So the last book ends with Captain Lee Harden discovering Camp Ryder and the next has him setting off on a journey with a small group to prove he can be trusted. Th plot is simple but effective, developing as the characters set off on their journey. What I really enjoyed is that Captain Lee Harden is now exploring an established area of survivors, figuring things out as he goes. The introduction of our villain, Milo, also really helps to mix things up a bit.

Conclusion

All in all this is a good book. I enjoyed it, not as much as the first, but still more than most novels of this genre. If you've read the first, then you wont be disappointed by what Aftermath has to offer, so check it out and see for yourself!

Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit - Charcoal Black
Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit - Charcoal Black
Offered by DealZone

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little smart watch, 21 Jun 2014
I’ve been using my Galaxy Gear Fit for a couple of weeks now. It was a bit of an impulse buy, on offer with O2, so I grabbed myself one. I prefer the look and feel of the Gear Fit vs the Neo or the Gear 2, and it’s definitely a much nicer device to wear on a day to day basis than the original Galaxy Gear.

For me it’s the style of the watch that I like. It’s small and compact and looks smart, giving a solid two to three days of battery life. Throw in the added water resistance and Samsung have really gotten themselves a winner.

When it comes to screen size, the Gear Fit is unusual, but work pretty well. I have my display oriented vertically, making my notifications and menus much easier to navigate through. Speaking of notifications, I don’t really use the watch much for them. Granted it’s handy to be able to see who is calling, or why my phone just vibrated, but for me they are an added bonus.

S-Health is a great complimentary piece of software for the Gear Fit, tracking your heart rate, steps walked, calories burned, sleep patterns and exercise. It’s nice to have these stats in one place, and you can chose when your Gear and phone sync up. I must admit however, the software still has leaps and bounds to go before it is any real use. Right now it’s more of a handy little link up to store your information, but you can’t do a massive amount with it.

So that’s it really, short and sweet. As I mentioned, this is a fantastic watch, and by far my favourite wearable so far. It suits me perfectly as I was looking for a nice looking watch, that had added functionality thrown in. Is it for everyone? No, but if like me, you want a nice watch, that can also link with your phone, then go ahead and take the plunge.

The Remaining
The Remaining
by D. J. Molles

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from other books in this genre, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Remaining (Paperback)
Introduction

I got this book from a Goodreads giveaway and I must say, I’m extremely glad I did! I wasn’t expecting much, the plot intrigued me but I didn’t expect to be drawn into this book. I read the first couple of pages, just to check it our before returning to another book I had been reading, and suddenly I was hooked.

Style

The writing style is fantastic. It’s narrative and descriptive, the author clearly knowing more than a thing or two about the subject matter (not the infected, the weapons etc). There’s more than enough level of detail, without being too overpowering, which keeps the pace consistent and the reader interested.

The story is delivered in an interesting way, as mentioned above the pace is excellent. The chapters are pretty lengthy, focusing on a particular time frame or event in each one, hooking the reader and pretty much forcing them to read the next.

Characters

I’ve got to say, the characters are interesting. The main character really is the focus point of this book, the entire thing told from his perspective, which luckily is a pretty intriguing one. There’s a lot of depth to the main character. He’s a soldier, but not over the top all guns blazing, there’s some emotion behind him. As the story progresses we see more of the main character, empathising with him and bonding with him.

The support characters aren’t as strong as Lee, our main character, but they are adequately fleshed out. Again as the story progresses I found myself enjoying them more, growing more attached, but still Lee remains the primary focus.

Plot

The plot really stands out, being different enough to set it apart from other books in this genre. Originally when I read the blurb I expected a typical zombie novel, a strong start, weak middle, followed by an all guns blazing ending. However that’s definitely not the case with The Beginning.

I won’t spoil the plot, but it basically follows the United States Governments contingency plan for when the world falls apart. That contingency is a soldier who is needed to restore order and unite groups of survivors in a world over run by the infected.

I really enjoyed learning more about Lee and his objectives, a different take on the standard zombie novel.

Conclusion

As I mentioned in the introduction, I was really surprised by what I read. I didn’t expect much at all but I was really impressed, enjoying the book from start to finish. I’d definitely recommend this book, especially to anyone who is a fan of the world ending type of story. I’ll be starting the second book in the series tonight and I really hope the standard remains as high as the first book! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender
Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and easy to set up, 16 May 2014
This device is absolutely fantastic and extremely easy to set up. It literally took 5 mins from unboxing it to getting it up and running. Our house is three floors, our router on the bottom, which doesn't offer fantastic coverage on the top floor. I've set the extender up on the middle floor and now every room in the house gets perfect wifi signal with no interference to the download or upload speed.

I cannot fault this device at all. It is absolutely brilliant.

Draper 73860 200 mm Telescopic Squeegee with Sponge
Draper 73860 200 mm Telescopic Squeegee with Sponge

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 10 May 2014
For the price this is absolutely fantastic. My windows look spotless after using this and the customisable lengths come in really handy. The device is durable and feels like it will last.

TeckNet® M002 Nano Wireless Mouse,6 Buttons,18 Month Battery Life,2000 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels-Grey
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Small compact and works well, 10 May 2014
I got this to use for some light gaming with my macbook. It's got pretty good battery life and is small and compact, but large enough to use without feeling uncomfortable. For a portable lightweight mouse this is a great mouse.

Car Radio Release Keys
Car Radio Release Keys
Offered by RadioWorld

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked like a charm, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Car Radio Release Keys
Exactly what I needed to help remove the old radio from my Peugeot 306. I have absolutely no idea about cars but even I could work with these.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11