Profile for Shaun Dowdall > Reviews

Content by Shaun Dowdall
Top Reviewer Ranking: 920

Shaun Dowdall "Shaun Dowdall" (York, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Blackberry Q10 Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Blackberry Q10 Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by Online queen

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't write Blackberry off yet, 25 Mar 2014
Introduction

The Blackberry Q10 is the latest flagship qwerty device from the declining Canadian manufacture. It’s their premium model, the go to for business phones. So how well does it stand up against the competition and can it deliver something that other manufactures are missing?

Look and Feel

The first thing that struck me about the Blackberry Q10 is how well it is made. It feels premium and looks great. It has a good weight about it and feels durable, unlike some of the plastic competition out there. The textured back cover adds a little extra grip while also looking the part, with a carbon fibre look to it.

The main feature of this phone, its qwerty keypad, feels and responds excellently. I didn’t realise how much I missed using a hardware keyboard until I took the Blackberry Q10 for a spin. The keys are large and well spaced and the whole thing just fits nicely with the OS, especially when used as a business device.

User Interface

The operating systems is pretty good. I’ve only seen little short sharp bursts of Blackberrys own OS in action, playing with it for small amounts of time. This was the first time that I gave the OS any true attention and I must admit I’m impressed.

I love the multi tasking on the device and the gesture controls. You have your application panels, and when you finish with an app they will appear as tiles on your main screen, giving you the option to close them once you no longer need them. Having my open apps visible made me close them down when I was done with them, helping me to save battery where possible.

Gesture control works pretty well, swipe up to minimise an app and return to your main menu, really simple, effective, and above all, easy to use.

The operating system just worked, and it worked nicely. It’s main downfall… apps… or lack of. I loaded up the Blackberry application store and punched in the name of my two most commonly used apps to find neither were available. Now i understand you can side-load Android apps but for the average consumer this isn’t going to be overly appealing.

Battery

For a smartphone the Blackberry Q10 came out above average for its battery. I got a solid two to three days worth of juice out of this device and that’s with some good solid usage. It’s not quite as good as some of the Blackberrys we’ve seen before in terms of battery but it’s hand down better than the competition.

What I liked

I loved the keyboard. As I said before I didn’t realise how much I’d missed a hardware keyboard but using the Blackberry Q10 has reminded me how nice a physical keyboard on a smartphone can be.

What I disliked

Lack of applications has to be my biggest gripe with the phone. Why Blackberry haven’t started funding developers is beyond me. They are too reliant on the fact that this will be used as a business phone, or that people will just instal Android apps, but in reality neither is true.

Conclusion

My time spent with the Blackberry Q10 has left me with mixed feelings. It is a good solid device with a fantastic operating system, but the lack of application support leaves the device with an uncertain future.

I honestly thought I would hate the phone but I’m more than a little impressed. I would quite happily have this as my personal device. If applications aren’t overly important to you and battery life, combined with a fantastic keyboard are at the top of your list then this could be the device for you.

After my experience I wouldn’t write Blackberry off just yet. If they can work some magic and get developers on board, then there maybe some life left.

Daffodil ULT300 Dual Powered USB Light - 28 Bulb Reading Lamp with Desk / Headboard Clamp and Flexible Gooseneck - Battery (4xAA Not Included) or USB Power - 3 Brightness Levels - PC and MAC Compatible
Offered by Daffodil UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Flexible and bright, 2 Mar 2014
I purchased this lamp for painting models while in the living room which has relatively poor light. This lamp gives off a great amount of light and is extremely flexible, allowing the user to position the light exactly how they want it. A definite must at a great price.

Compressed Air Duster Can HFC Free Gas Flammable 400ml (1 PACK)- AIR DUSTER used as keyboard cleaner, Printer Cleaner, Laptop Cleaner, Xbox 360 & Playstation Console cleaner and most hard to reach electrical equipement.
Offered by Rybond

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cleaning product, 2 Mar 2014
I got this to clean up my pc tower and it has worked fantastically well. Managed to get rid of all the dust from the PC fans and mother board, all the places that were impossible to clean before.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo 3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo 3DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun game, 26 Feb 2014
Introduction

Zelda A Link Between Two Worlds is a pretty neat little game with a very interesting mechanic behind it. I’ve never really been able to get into any Zelda games and I’ll admit my 3DS was purchased purely to play the new Pokemon game on, so imagine my surprise when I found myself enjoying this game. So what makes this a game worth playing?

The game follows our hero, Link, as he battles a villain who is seeking to transform the Seven Sages into paintings, adding them all to his horrid collection. When Castle Hyrule is attacked by the menace things really get underway, sending our hero on his quest to save princess Zelda and the Sages.

Gameplay

imageWhat I really enjoy about Zelda is the casual gameplay. It’s easy to pick up and play and you don’t need to invest hours at a time to enjoy it. Exploring Hyrule and Lowrule is good fun, using a number of different tools to help get to new locations. The added ability to transform into a painting and meld with walls adds a whole new level of exploration and puzzle solving. I honestly didn’t know what to expect when I saw pictures of Link turning into a painting but I’m impressed with how well the concept works.

Puzzle solving works well in this game, giving the player a range of abilities and tools to help them get from A to B and discover treasure or hidden items. The puzzles aren’t overly taxing but they are enjoyable and add a little something more to the game.

Combat starts out pretty basic but as you progress through the game it gets a little deeper. The new items the player acquires help out in fights, all causing different types of chaos for your enemies to deal with. One thing that I found to be pretty different is how the players user interface becomes more intuitive as they progress, the quick skills bar evolving with time.

Graphics

The graphics are pretty good, a top down, cartoon style. It’s just what you’d expect from a game built for the 3DS. The style works really well and works perfectly with the 3D option.

Speaking of 3D, I found that it works well in Zelda, the most tolerable game I’ve played yet with 3D on. After a while though the novelty wore off and I went back to 2D but I’m sure there will be plenty of players out there who will be able to play all the way through with 3D on.

What I liked

I loved the way that this game mixes things up with new concepts like turning into a painting to explore. It’s different to anything I’ve played in quite some time and really adds depth to the game. I can’t really imagine this being a particularly great game without these added concepts.

image

What I disliked

That the guy I rented my house out to kept taking my rented items if I died! Damn you!

Stand Out Feature

It’s definitely the range of unique tools and abilities this game gives the player. It just adds so much and really helps to mix things up. I’ve had some great moments staring at the screen figuring out where on earth I need to go next when a lightbulb moment hits me and I use one of my tools to fly over some spikes or meld with a wall to cross a mountain ledge. Hats off to the developers on this one, some really good fun things to play with.

Conclusion

As I said at the start of this review I’m not a fan of the Zelda franchise but I’ve really enjoyed my time with this game. I’ve enjoyed it so much that I’ve even decided to give Ocarina Of Time another blast!

If you’re looking for something to sink a fair amount of time into on your 3DS then is recommend giving this game a blast. I’d almost go as far to say I’ve enjoyed it more than Pokemon… almost…

Give it a go and see for yourself how much fun this game is. You won’t regret it.

18 x Philips 40 Watt GLS Bayonet Cap B22 Clear Glass Finish Incandescent Household Light Bulbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 Feb 2014
Great value for money and works perfectly. No issue at all with these light bulbs. Long life with no faulty bulbs so far.

P11 PS3 Headset - EU
P11 PS3 Headset - EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones for a fair price, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: P11 PS3 Headset - EU (Accessory)
I've used these headphones for a long time now and love them. The sound quality is superb and the microphone works like a charm for online gaming. The overall quality is pretty good and for the price you can't go wrong.

I've used these headphones for gaming on my PS3 and my Gaming PC. Both devices it was very easy to set the headphones up with and the quality sounded great for both. The only issue I ever face is that the microphone volume occasionally drops to a very low volume and I have to fiddle about with the physical microphone to get it working again. This is relatively rare though.

The headphones are comfortable to wear and very light. Even for hour long sessions of gaming they don't get uncomfortable.

Definitely worth the price and the overall sound quality is great!

Belkin QODE Ultimate Bluetooth Keyboard Case with Autowake for iPad Air - Black
Belkin QODE Ultimate Bluetooth Keyboard Case with Autowake for iPad Air - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic case, 8 Feb 2014
I got this case for my new iPad Air and I'll admit it's very impressive. I've used a lot of cases similar to this but the quality is amazing. I was put off at first by the price but I read other reviews that talked about how good the quality is, and they were right!

The case looks and feels great, matching the iPad's gorgeous exterior. The keys feel great and have a definite click, they are also well spaced and easy to type on.

The magnets that hold the screen in position are exceptionally strong, allowing the user to hold the entire device by the keyboard without the screen falling down. There's also no risk of you knocking the device closed when the iPad is upright.

Battery life is great, I've had this case for two weeks now and use it daily and never once needed to charge it!

Overall if you're looking for a case with a built in keyboard then this is head and shoulders above anything else I've used. Definately recommended!

Sony LCSBBMB Carrying Case for QX10 Lens Style Camera
Sony LCSBBMB Carrying Case for QX10 Lens Style Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely case, 7 Feb 2014
Absolutely fantastic case. Feels great and has a lot of padding which looks like it will protect my lens from harm. It's a little larger than I expected but overall it's a great product to protect my lens from scratches and damage.

50 x A4 300gsm Premium Thick White Printer Craft Card
50 x A4 300gsm Premium Thick White Printer Craft Card
Offered by Soho Paper Products

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality card but doesn't work with my printer, 7 Feb 2014
the card is very good quality, feels great and the thickness is just right. Really disappointed that the ink just becomes a huge smudge when using the work printer which this was needed for. We use a HP Laser Jet Pro which I expected the card to work with but unfortunately its not. Worth while check printer compatibility.

Anker® Screen Protector for Apple iPad Air iPad 5 [2-Pack] - Xtreme Scratch Defender Ultra-Clear High-Response Premium with Lifetime Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Good screen protectors, 3 Feb 2014
These screen protectors come with a fair amount in the package to ensure that you get a smooth and bubble free experience. Inside you get your usual cloth but you also get a sticker to help remove any dust or lint from the screen before applying the screen protector.

Although I eventually got a bubble free screen I did need to use both screen protectors in order to do this. Compared to some screen protectors these are not the most user friendly but the end result is great. The finish is clear and feels pretty tough which is reassuring.

I would definitely recommend giving these protectors a go as the entire kit is pretty good and they are clearly of a high quality.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8