Profile for Mr. J. Mortimer > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Mortimer

Mr. J. Mortimer (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
VeloChampion Tornado Sunglasses White with 3 Sets of Interchangeable Lenses and Soft Carry Pouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart looking and versatile, 30 Mar. 2014
The lenses are very easy to change, work well in all conditions, and best of all it's a great fit. I purchased mine for £12, can't go wrong at this price (this was my second pair, the first pair are still great but I wanted a spare set of lenses in case I lost or scratched them).

Gnomes for Homes Mini Chill Out Gnome
Gnomes for Homes Mini Chill Out Gnome

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plant pot filler, 30 Mar. 2014
If you have a small rockery or a large plant pot this gnome will slot right in and won't overshadow the plants. Great finish and brilliant detail in the moulding.

Gnomes for Homes Midi Toadstool Gnome
Gnomes for Homes Midi Toadstool Gnome

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, 30 Mar. 2014
Lovely finish to this gnome, feels solid and looks like it would survive outdoors for a few years at least, but I would still try to keep it out of direct summer sunlight to prevent the paint from fading or varnish cracking. Really nice authentic look and detailed moulding.

Carradice Carradura Rack Bag
Carradice Carradura Rack Bag
Offered by SJS Cycles

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but with a few niggles, 30 Mar. 2014
Things I really like about this bag - it's quick to attach or remove from the bike, does not need a saddle rail attachment, it's done entirely to the rack rails; it has generous side pockets and a very large main compartment without being too large on the bike (it sits below the saddle level on my bike); it comes with a rain cover which I have had cause to use on one occasion so far, however the bag material is waterproof to a degree anyway; useful storage area on the top for quick access to rain gear or for storing long items that won't easily fit in the main compartment.

Things I don't really like about this bag - the zips have a low-quality feel to them, they occasionally stick and don't run very smoothly, for the sake of a few more pence this could have been much better; the cord used for the external storage arrangement could have been made of an elastic cord instead of plain flat material; a couple of side-pockets in one or both of the side pockets to keep puncture repair kit and tools in would have been a boon, like the kind you get in camera bags for SD cards and batteries.

Would be five stars if it wasn't for the mediocre quality zips, the other niggles are just personal taste.

Altura Night Vision Waterproof Cycling Helmet Cover
Altura Night Vision Waterproof Cycling Helmet Cover
Offered by Leisure Lakes Bikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry headwear, 7 Aug. 2013
I've been on the look out for a waterproof helmet cover and this seems to fit the bill, so to speak. I read other reviews that said this didn't fit helmets, that may be true depending on the size of the helmet and the peak, for me it seems to fit rather well (see photos which I will add to the gallery).

I have a Bell Venture B194X helmet, size is 54-61cm.

I like that it comes with a special zip-lock plastic bag, so it can be kept clean and will neatly slip into my saddle bag out of the way until needed, taking up almost no room or weight.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Precision PREC0034 Touch Sensitive Alarm Clock
Precision PREC0034 Touch Sensitive Alarm Clock
Offered by Stuff Plus

2.0 out of 5 stars Good when it worked... briefly, 6 July 2013
I wanted to like this, already owning its larger brother from Precision (Precision PREC0097 Radio Controlled LCD Wall Mountable and Desk Clock) which has been brilliant, but the PREC0034 I received just didn't work.

The clock itself is great in concept, it is small and compact, and displays all the information I want at a glance. The 'touch sensitive' part is merely a rocker inside that detects any vibration, so the backlight would probably come on if you sneezed at it, there's no fancy touch panel as implied but that's fine, it does what it's supposed to. It picked up a signal from inside an old thick-walled building in the middle of town, not bad really (though it picked up reception quicker when it was by a window).

When it worked it kept time and looked great, but that only lasted a few minutes; the unit just randomly started to display nothing, the screen either went off completely (not just the backlight) or would display random segments of the numbers. I reset it several times by taking out the batteries (I tried about three different sets, all brand new), each time it would go off after several minutes. This clock is supposed to remain on all of the time, only the backlight should be switching itself off.

Amazon were great, they offered me a replacement which I opted for in case it was just a bad batch, but after a few weeks told me that it was no longer available and gave me a full refund, probably for the best as now I can choose a different one. I would buy Precision again, just not this model.

Precision PREC0097 Radio Controlled LCD Wall Mountable and Desk Clock
Precision PREC0097 Radio Controlled LCD Wall Mountable and Desk Clock
Offered by Smartshop Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for keeping GMT, 25 Feb. 2013
I have this in the office at work, within about two feet of the window. The building has thick walls and the window looks out onto a street with tall buildings on either side, but still manages to maintain a signal at all times. I tried it out at home where the walls are even thicker (about 1.5 feet of solid stone and brick), it needed to be close to an outside wall and a window for it to receive the time signal.

The large numbers on the display make it very easy to read at a glance.

All in all a very useful office or kitchen time piece.

Really Useful Storage Box Robust Stackable Single 84 Litre Unit W444xD710xH380mm Clear - Ref 84C

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful box at the right price, 25 Feb. 2013
I am using this to store my 8inch SCT telescope, using the original packaging as a base. The box accommodates the telescope with a focuser, star diagonal, finder scope, and still has room to spare on all sides and the top. Perfect for those trips out to a dark site!

The plastic structure feels quite rigid, the lid fits well. Handles under the lip at either side provide a firm grip for lifting and carrying.

Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (Mac DVD)
Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (Mac DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK on i5 iMac and i7 MacBook Pro, 25 Feb. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have the Steam version (which I gather is identical to this one, as users end up downloading it from Steam anyway), with all of the expansions as they were on special offer at the time with the main game.

People have complained about frame rates on the Mac - this is true, from about the mid-game onwards there are some framerate problems but mostly when zoomed out, if the view is kept zoomed in the framerate problems are small to none (playing with full detail and maximum resolution on a Late 2011 17inch MacBook or a Late 2009 27inch iMac i5, both with 16GB RAM). I have experienced no other problems at all with this game from a technical point of view, it has not crashed or frozen and there have been no graphic or audio glitches. The game does seem to take a lot of something out of the Mac's GUI performance when played in a window, even though RAM and CPU usage is not that high when the game is in full swing; playing in full screen is frustrating in Mountain Lion as I'm not able to swipe back to the desktop, when playing in a window the rest of the Mac feels a little sluggish and the game tends to hog the mouse pointer until something outside of the window is clicked on. Some Mac OS X integration wouldn't go amiss here.

As for the game itself, aside from a few changes it is much like Civ 1 from the Atari ST - the same old ropey AI diplomacy (which can be rather annoying sometimes - really, Japan? You want to negotiate peace but I must surrender ALL my cities apart from my capital, with no negotiation possible?), the same kind of tactics still work, mostly. Not being able to stack units makes the game play slightly differently when war crops up, but ranged units and fast attackers (chariot archers, knights) make it more interesting than before in my opinion. The unit animations are fun and make battles more interesting. There are many options for creating a custom game, the expansion packs can be turned off individually, as can the different ways to win (diplomacy, tech, culture, etc).

Something I haven't found yet are keyboard shortcuts, I find it rather annoying having to mouse or trackpad over to the icons for next turn etc every time, it would be nice to have keys for telling units to heal or fortify, or controlling the cursor / active hexagon using arrow keys. The in-game help doesn't seem to mention keyboard shortcuts (not that I could find) and there's no manual provided outside of the game itself.

In conclusion this is a fun and addictive game which is very nicely presented both graphically and audibly, with just a couple of gripes in the lack of keyboard shortcuts and no Mac OS X Mountain Lion integration. The frame rate problems when zoomed out are not a game-breaker for me.

Tech 21 Style Sleeve with D3O Protection for 17 inch Laptop
Tech 21 Style Sleeve with D3O Protection for 17 inch Laptop
Offered by Techoffers UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits a 17 inch MacBook Pro OK, 25 Feb. 2013
I had previously purchased a similar case for my 17 inch MacBook Pro, LArobe, but the only problems with it are no handles or shoulder strap and nowhere at all to keep cables or other slim accessories. This Tech 21 sleeve solves those problems with two discreet pockets on either side which are suitable for the cables and something like a mouse or some CDs. The pockets are surprisingly spacious.

The handles are thick and feel strong, constructed from material with some form of stiff padding inside (maybe more material). The shoulder strap feels good and is made of seat belt type material, with a nice large pad to go on the shoulder and some way down the back. As another reviewer mentioned the clips are plastic, but with a bit of thought I'm sure these could be replaced with inexpensive metal clips.

I'm not sure where the faux fur comes into it, the interior has a slick orange material lining with covered seams. For a 17 inch MacBook Pro, which is a very slim laptop, the bag feels a little too roomy, there's a definite gap of about an inch of unused space at the top and about 1cm at one side, but when the bag is carried or over the shoulder the MacBook is so heavy that it tends not to move about too much. The bag came with some stiff polystyrene type packing inside so I wonder if this could be used to pad it out a bit!

Overall it looks very good for the money (9.99 at present), and much easier to handle than my LArobe case which is probably more suited to putting in a ruck sack (it is just too big to fit inside the Tech 21, I tried, though it may be interesting to try a slimmer neoprene 17 inch sleeve as an additional bit of lining).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8