ARRAY(0xa7a98fd8)

Profile for Mr. J. Mortimer > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Mortimer

Mr. J. Mortimer (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Macally G-S350SUAB USB 2.0/Firewire 400/800/eSATA Case for 3.5 inch SATA HDD
Macally G-S350SUAB USB 2.0/Firewire 400/800/eSATA Case for 3.5 inch SATA HDD
Offered by duregExpress
Price: 70.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant desktop accessory, 19 April 2014
This is possibly the best external hard drive enclosure I've ever owned, worth every penny. It sleeps the hard drive when idle, does not cause errors when the iMac sleeps (like an Icy Box enclosure of mine occasionally does, but strangely not every time), looks the business and has enough different connector options to keep it relevant for years to come. I have a 4TB IBM hard drive fitted at the moment. Probably my favourite aspect of this case is the easy access power button on the front - looks great and is very easy to use; no more reaching around the back to flip a cheap fiddly little on/off switch.

Optimum Men's Cycling Fingerless Glove - Black/Red, Medium
Optimum Men's Cycling Fingerless Glove - Black/Red, Medium
Price: 7.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great either, 19 April 2014
The Velcro cuff is OK, the easy-pull grips are OK, the outer material is fine, the material on the palm bunches up a bit when holding the handlebars so is not that great. Shouldn't argue too much at this price point but I have some similar gloves from Halfords which I find more comfortable.

Altura Pro Gel Shorts -
Altura Pro Gel Shorts -
Offered by SDJ Sports Ltd
Price: 32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Size label makes me seem fat, 19 April 2014
This review is from: ALTURA Men's Progel Shorts (Misc.)
The shorts feel good on, if a little tight around the crotch to begin with (after a few rides they loosen up a bit). The size of XL makes me sound like an old fatty, but at about 35" waist I don't think that's true at all, I am the average size and weight for someone of my height so in my opinion these should be a Medium. Perhaps it's a psychological thing to make you want to ride more to lose weight? Get pedalling, porky!

ALTURA Men's Night Vision Progel Shorts, Black, XXL
ALTURA Men's Night Vision Progel Shorts, Black, XXL
Offered by Parkers of Bolton
Price: 40.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd size labelling, 19 April 2014
I don't know why they think I am XXL, I am not obese in the slightest, I can only imagine their Small size is for a 6 year old, their XXS for a fetus! At the time I purchased these I was about a 37" waist, now since riding I have gone down to about a 35" and can fit the XL size. They fit well and while riding the legs don't ride up thanks to the silicon gripper strip, which also does not snag on my leg hairs, I don't notice them really. The padding works well.

Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil 800 g
Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil 800 g
Price: 14.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan friendly, 19 April 2014
This was very well received by a vegan friend, used for cooking. Can't really comment any more on the item.

Optimum Men's Cycling Stowaway Jacket - Red, X Large
Optimum Men's Cycling Stowaway Jacket - Red, X Large
Price: 18.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well as an emergency rain coat, 19 April 2014
Only had cause to use this once, a sudden shower just got worse and worse until it was a full-blown torrential downpour and a howling gale, stopped to put this on and it kept what dry bits of me were left as dry as they were when I put it on. I normally ride with a Gore Phantom Windstopper which is shower-proof, and it did a pretty amazing job in this instance too but I felt it needed some assistance. This packs down to a very small size in the integrated stuff bag, about the size of a big fist, easy enough to fit in a small saddle bag or rear pocket.

Not something I would want to wear a lot, it is very thin material so may snag easily. If the weather was bad enough to warrant wearing a waterproof all day I think I would want to take something more substantial such as one of the full waterproof Gore jackets.

Garmin Tempe External Temperature Sensor
Garmin Tempe External Temperature Sensor
Price: 22.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes winter riding more interesting, 19 April 2014
One for the geeks, perhaps. Since getting my Garmin Dakota 20 I've enjoyed reviewing my performance up and down hills on my bike, but then knowing the temperature and seeing it rise and fall through the ride is also interesting. I clip it to the handlebars so that it receives accurate outside air temperature, it should also be possible to clip it to rucksack straps quite easily. Connects to the Dakota 20 wirelessly within a few seconds.

Topeak Modula EX Bottle Cage - Black
Topeak Modula EX Bottle Cage - Black
Offered by Cycle Sports UK
Price: 6.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A cage for most bottles, 19 April 2014
I have found this cage to be of most use when I needed to purchase a bottled drink from a shop, as the size can be adjusted so that just about any bottle won't rattle around. Feels well built and should last a lifetime.

Linens Limited Luxor 100% Egyptian Cotton 600gsm 4 Piece Guest Towel Set, Navy
Linens Limited Luxor 100% Egyptian Cotton 600gsm 4 Piece Guest Towel Set, Navy
Offered by Linens Limited
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Given as a gift, 19 April 2014
These were gratefully received as a gift so can't comment on them too much, but the recipient was very happy with them.

Topeak, Aero Wedge Quick Release Pack Large
Topeak, Aero Wedge Quick Release Pack Large
Offered by Leisure Lakes Bikes
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for proper days out, 19 April 2014
Some may scoff at a bag so big on a mountain bike but for me it adds options and is the perfect size for a day out on the trails and roads. The extending portion which can be unzipped adds that welcome extra bit of space in case you need to fit those full gloves or other slightly bulky item in. Mostly I have in mine one innertube, a few tools, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, sandwiches and other food goodies, compact camera, money, house keys, mobile phone. There is a pouch inside the flap for your keys or other items you want to keep tidy and in easy reach. The zips feel like good quality. The clip is very strong, hasn't come undone in all the rigorous riding I've done so far, the saddle post Velcro strap works well. I don't find that it moves around too much as the clip keeps it in place at the top, and it doesn't interfere with my legs or bum when riding drop-offs.

If you're riding trails all day then I highly recommend this, if you're just doing stints from a base camp or car then you probably don't need one so big. I use this in conjunction with a water bottle container, I can fit an extra layer or pair of gloves etc in the water bottle which can make the difference between a good ride and an uncomfortable ride when you're twenty miles away from anywhere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8