Profile for Davey > Reviews

Davey

Kingston 16GB Portable Storage Wi-Drive
Kingston 16GB Portable Storage Wi-Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Like a Charm, a Must Have !, 9 Mar. 2012
Don't let the the bad reviews put you off this very clever and amazing device. I will try to explain in detail why I think this is a must have and why I believe its better having one of these with for example a 16gb iPad rather than a 32gb iPad.

Whilst I love my iPad and iPhone and would not be without them there are some very frustrating limitations mainly due to iTunes which you must use to add media. Some off these limitations I was not aware before purchasing the iPad.

For me the iPad really comes into its own when travelling and its where I appreciate it most but this is where you will most likely encounter the iTunes quirks and limitations.

One of the biggest issues with Apple devices is that if you load up a load of films for example and then go travelling you will have no way what so ever to add extra media unless of course you pay for it through the iTunes store as you are only allowed one iTunes library on one PC which will usually be your home PC. So if you are carrying with you a hard drive full of movies music or photos it will never the see the light of day on your iPad or iPhone if your away from home and that is a very big drawback.

This is where the Kingston wi drive comes to the rescue. You download a free app then connect it to any PC and drag and drop your media. Within minutes its available on your apple devices. Absolute genius.

The Kingston wi drive also solves a number of other problems. One of them being the length of time it takes to transfer media to your Apple device via iTunes because of all the syncing, backing up and transferring purchases it needs to do. This can be a nightmare if your in a hurry and want to add something quickly which is almost impossible.

There is also a quirk in iTunes when adding media which prolongs the process even more and leads to more frustration. Lets say for example you had 6 movies on an iPad with 1.5gb of space left and wanted to add one more movie which was 1.1gb which is plenty right, wrong because you have to snyc all 7 movies over to the iPad and iTunes will say you are out of space. You see you cant just add one more movie. You have to basically tick all the boxes of all 7 movies and tell iTunes these are all the movies I now want on my iPad. To get around this you have to delete the 6 first then add the 7 all together.

Can you see where Im going with this. The wi drive just completely eliminates all the unnecessary time consuming messing about I detailed above as well as letting you add media on the go. For that alone its worth every single penny and worthy of 5 stars.

I know 16gb is not massive but all you have to do is carry a larger capacity usb stick with and swap media around which also eliminates the need for the 32gb version. Most people will already own small portable hard drives or USB sticks of some kind.

There are however some improvements I would like to see to make this device perfect. A more accurate battery display as well as improved battery life which is about 4 hours. Also its a bit disappointing the fact that you cannot charge and use it at the same time. The drive is a bit delicate and to not include some sort of basic pouch I think is quite mean especially given the price. For me though these are minor quibbles and I highly recommend it.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2013 2:38 PM GMT

Wired--up Gold Plated 3.5mm Jack Splitter Adapter - Black
Wired--up Gold Plated 3.5mm Jack Splitter Adapter - Black
Offered by EF-Cloud.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 22 Feb. 2012
Quite simply it did not work. I could not fit any earphones into one of the jacks which was obviously smaller than the other.

How to Make Bread
How to Make Bread
by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Pictures But Vital Information Is Missing, 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: How to Make Bread (Hardcover)
Since I could not find a copy of this in my local bookshop to have a flick through I decided upon this by the strength of the reviews alone. As there was only a handful I was a bit apprehensive.

The first thing you will notice is the impressive level of detail in the photography guiding you through each step of the process. However thats where the strengths of this book end.

As soon as you delve deeper into the guidelines and then on to the recipes themselves you will notice that there is vital information missing.

Such as, not once in the book does it give any advice on storing bread or the best way to store ingredients such as flour.

On page 11 when giving the recipe for a sourdough starter it does not mention what type of flour to use. While this may be obvious for an experienced maker of sourdough starters for me at least I had no idea.

Where the most vital of information is missing is in the basic white bread and since this is the blueprint for most recipes in the book as the author puts it, this severley lets down the rest of the book. If you follow the recipe word for using active dried active yeast as given in the ingredients list your bread will not rise just like mine did'nt and I had to bin it because it was a disaster.

I decided to Google what went wrong and I found out that active dried yeast needs to be rehydrated first before use, using a combination of sugar and water but the recipe does not require sugar or that amount of water. I have only ever seen one brand of active dried yeast on the supermarket shelves and since this is a book mainly for the UK market and the author is an active baker who gives classes I find it astonishing that this is not covered because simply using ADY as instructed in the book will not work as I have found out.

For the record I also tried the baguettes with a poolish and as above I had to bin the poolish the next day as the ADY did not work because the book does not cover how to adapt the recipes using ADY. Yes the book also gives the amount of fresh yeast needed but this is not something which is readily available to everybody.

In conclusion, if your an advanced baker and are confident in filling in the blanks with this book then you may enjoy it, but if your a novice and dont fancy continuously binning your bread and endless searches on Google then avoid this book.

I emailed the author for some further advice on the missing information and I got no response. Perhaps if you went on one of his courses and got all of the instruction needed then this may compliment the course nicely, but right now Im off to find a more authoritive and complete book on bread.

Update 1 Since writing this review and searching for a more complete book on bread I have came across The Handmade Loaf. Now if you click on "look inside" and scroll down to the page on yeast you will see that the author gives exacting and very specific instructions on how to use prepare and incorporate dried yeast into the recipes. This just goes to prove my point above on this book missing the vital information on how to use dried yeast in the recipes which is at this point non existent and I think the author should address this.

Update 2 Emmanuel the author has been in contact with me by phone on a number of occasions to try to ascertain why the basic loaf is going wrong. He believes the loaf tin I have been using is too big and has kindly giving me a revised recipe. I have not tried the revised recipe because I got a bit fed up to be honest and tried an online recipe which gave outstanding results first time so I felt there was no need to revert back to the basic loaf in the book.

I have since tried the croissants in the book and to be blunt they were a disaster especially since I have tried croissant recipes before with great success. The croissants were the final nail in the bread bin and this book has since been sent back to Amazon and I have decided to go with Bread Matters: Why and How to Make Your Own which on first impression is certainly more detailed for instance exactly what type of flour to use for your sourdoughs and what temperature they should be kept at, both pieces of information are absent in this book.

I wish the Emmanuel every success with the book but it was not for me and I would find it very hard to recommend.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 9:04 PM BST

Undercover Curry: An Insider's Expose of British Indian Restaurant Cookery
Undercover Curry: An Insider's Expose of British Indian Restaurant Cookery
by Dave Loyden

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous and lazy, 4 Jan. 2012
Ok I can understand why some people might enjoy this book, but its not for the average at home cook.

This book is so bad I dont know where to begin. That quantities for the recipes given are ridiculous to say the least. You dont get any measurments for the recipes all you get is "dipping".

Now all this is fine and dandy if you have copious amounts of time and money to experiment with "dipping" and cooking quantities fit for a banquet, but for the average cook no.

I dont understand why the author could not simply test the recipes in a test kitchen and then list the quantities used which would then make the book more practical and accessible to most. This is just lazy and pretentious.

Ive already sent mine back to Amazon.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2014 6:35 AM GMT

The Takeaway Secret: How to cook your favourite fast-food at home
The Takeaway Secret: How to cook your favourite fast-food at home
by Kenny McGovern

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, Fantastic Results, 4 Jan. 2012
This is easily one of the best cookbooks I own. The great thing about this book is the variety of recipes and the quality of the results. Normally Im a bit wary of cook books that cover so many styles and cuisines because the results are not always that great.

Ive cooked about 10 - 12 recipes from this and the results have astounding. I really cant stress enough how good the results have been.

Most of the curries Ive tried and found them better than the curry secret. The naan bread I couldn't stop thinking about it after I made it. The Macdonalds breakfast worked well as well as a number of the kebabs and the Macaroni.

This is the recipe book that just keeps on giving. The only bad result I have had was the chicken korma which was so sweet it tasted like a dessert but still very worthy of 5 stars.

American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
by Peter Reinhart

5.0 out of 5 stars The closest you will get to real pizza, 4 Jan. 2012
After trying numerous recipes online and from a huge amount of books I was always left feeling that the finished pizza could somehow be better and something was always missing.

I didn't think this book could pull it off because pizza recipes are so similar but I was ecstatic with the results. The pizzas without doubt from this book are without doubt the best I have ever made and I highly recommend this book for serious pizza lovers.

Inside you will find many different styles of pizza from deep pan to takeaway style. There is something for everyone and the results will be better than most takeaways and especially frozen pizzas.

Enjoy

You Can Cook Indian Takeaway
You Can Cook Indian Takeaway

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite there yet, 2 Jan. 2012
The author attempts to shortcut the lengthy process of British Indian Restaurant curry which is often found in many other books of its kind.

I made the Tikka Masala and followed it to the letter. The main problem with this book is lack of any base curry sauce which is essential in BIR curry. Instead most use a puree of onion. I was skeptical but carried on with an open mind. Unfortunately the curry was extremely dry as you would expect without any sauce and just spices. As advised by the book I added some extra warm water but this will just keep evaporating because of the high heat, so you will be fighting a losing battle.

Overall the curry lacked depth of flavour and texture with an overwhelming ketchup flavour as this is an ingredient in many of the curries.

My advice would be to try the curries in The Takeaway Secret by Kenny McGovern which are not as lengthy as some recipes but still taste amazing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2014 9:20 PM BST

Belkin 3.5mm Headphone Splitter - White
Belkin 3.5mm Headphone Splitter - White
Offered by Kikatek

1.0 out of 5 stars Did Not Work, 6 Dec. 2011
Decided to spend a bit more to avoid any hassles and I was totally wrong. Bought this for myself and my daughter to use with my iPad on a recent flight. The sound coming out of one set of the earphones was so low it was impossible to hear.