Profile for sir_isaac_newton > Reviews

sir_isaac_newton (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Comma XTC5L 5L XTech Fully Synthetic 5W30 Motor Oil
Comma XTC5L 5L XTech Fully Synthetic 5W30 Motor Oil

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems. Fully Synthetic. Decent quality container & a proper 5L's worth - just like we always used to get. Recommended, 14 May 2016
No problem. Fully synthetic. Decent quality container. Nice to get 5L again Not cheap but better value than Tesco. :)

The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees
The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees
by Robert Penn

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic & it does not warrant a hardcover, disjointed but I quite enjoyed this book on Ash anyway :), 16 April 2016
Not a classic & does not warrant a hardcover but I quite enjoyed it. It is somewhat similar to the author's BBC4 TV series - which I enjoyed - although really it is a book specifically about Ash. The title is misleading, a more fitting title might be: "The things people make out of Ash and why". The author cuts down an ash tree and has it professionally processed by a saw mill and the book is about that and his project to see all sorts of things made out of it (or similar native ash) - the things are generally made by other people.

Several times, it seemed like the author ran out of things to say so just fell back on research on side topics. Almost lists of facts. It seemed a little disjointed. A case in point: the history of Irish Hurling! I found it reasonably interesting but rather off topic.

I'm into greenwood though, so anything related to it tends to interest me. Also my own appreciation of Ash has similarly grown over time and I am interested in it, although I think the author has taken it too far -- there are many other species which have many admirable qualities. He tries to portray ash as "the best wood" - like an obsession with establishing a brand - but there is no best wood and he seems to struggle with that for fear of loosing focus on ash.

Nice cover :D which caused my mother-in-law to buy it for me! Good choice :)

Weldtite Red Devils Self Sealing Patch Kit
Weldtite Red Devils Self Sealing Patch Kit
Offered by bikemadness

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit nicer/tougher-looking than some I have used but massively overpriced @$1.96 inc. shipping. - should be 50p, 26 Mar. 2016
These work ok & appear to be quite tough. Nicer than some I have used (some seem like little more than thick sellotape or sticky backed foam) but they all seem to work and last well, and they all seem massively overpriced - 50p would be a more sensible price for one of these. Nice plastic box.

Red is a good colour for tyre patches as it allows you too see previous fixes quickly & easily. Used one on my red diving float, which was handy, as the repair doesn't stand out much more than the previous clear patches.
[Previous self-stick patches I have used have been white squares - easy to see - and clear disks, which are difficult to see.]

Cressi Corsica Snorkel - Dark
Cressi Corsica Snorkel - Dark

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent snorkel for spearfishing although I slightly prefer the (cheaper) basic Omer Zoom, 26 Mar. 2016
Works very well for spearfishing. I recently tried out several snorkels for comparison. This one seems a little narrower/noisier than the Omer Zoom but the extra length helps keep out the water in light choppy conditions. It took about 20 minutes to get use to it but then it became as effortless as the Omer Zoom. It was noticeably better than an inexpensive large bore model tried.

You feel the large moulded shapes beneath the mouthpiece with your lips when snorkeling, odd but not unpleasant.

Clearing the snorkel & keeping it clear & quiet is a concern and this seemed to be a problem at first but once I had got used to the snorkel the problem seemed to disappear (on some snorkels it never goes), so I probably just needed to get used to clearing this (not too hard, not too soft).

I used to look for soft bendy snorkels. But went off that after using a soft Beuchat Tubair Activa for several years and went back to 40 year old English-made Typhoon rubber snorkel, with soft rubber /silicone mouthpiece & bend and fairly stiff rubber pipe - it was the best snorkel I have come across until I lost it last year. This snorkel is bendy but in use I never noticed that, so they probably got the balance right :)

An excellent spearfishing snorkel, comparable to the classic Omersub Zoom (basic, black, non-bendy). Its clip is better & simpler than the Zoom's but I slightly prefer the Zoom - although that might change. Being longer, this might also be a better snorkel for choppy conditions that the Zoom. And I have other snorkels yet to try, not least the Mares Dual. Decent value @ £8.99 inc. shipping - the basic Omersub Zoom can be bought cheaper if you shop around though.

Technisub Micromask - Diving Mask
Technisub Micromask - Diving Mask
Offered by Planetmultistore

4.0 out of 5 stars The best low volume spearfishing mask I have used so far, 26 Mar. 2016
Seems a little small/narrow ("micro") for my face but seals although it leaves a significant impression on my face. It has a noticeably better field of view (FOV) than my previous low volume spearfishing masks: Omersub Alien & Seacsub Combat X, comparable to my big, clear silicone SCUBA mask (Typhoon's version of the Cressi Big Eyes). It is similar to those earlier masks and it is as at least as good in all regards (except price) but it feel slightly better in several/most areas.

The strap & clasp work well, both seem to be an improvement on my earlier masks. Some say the buckles are weak, so use the box supplied when not wearing it. Comes with a decent reusable box, not quite as good as the one that came with my Seacsub combat mask tho' (the Alien had only a cardboard box - yuk :( ).

In use it occasionally presses in against your face but being so low in volume it is quick & easy to compensate. It is a very good mask, it just works really well.

AGM® Super Bright Waterproof 50M AGM 1000Lumens CREE XM-L L2 LED Scuba Diving Flashlight Underwater Dive Torch Light Magnet Switch with Battery+Charger
Offered by sanzoom

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good so far, I like it. Nice little kit, except the lanyard is not fit for purpose & should be replaced before use ;), 26 Mar. 2016
The lanyard this comes with is weak, so I replaced mine with 2mm braid & silicone tubing before use. Otherwise it seems very good so far.

I have only used it in the sea once so far - for spearfishing - and it worked very well. It has a long, narrow focused spotlight beam, which is surprisingly bright. I found it good for looking under boulders & in caves. Not sure if it needs to be quite so narrow/focused but it allowed me to look under several neighbouring boulders at once and along quite long tunnels under rocks.

I used the switch underwater several times (it has only full beam & off - that's all I want & expect) but perhaps unnecessary as the battery is rechargeable and holds several hours worth of power, so I could have just left it turned on.

It comes with:
a. Torch
b. Lanyard - not fit for purpose, replace before use.
c. UK 3-"square"-pin adapter/charger inc. plastic battery holder. Small LED on wall-wart shows red while charging and green when fully charged (appears to be auto-off :) ) - good feature.
d. 1 large rechargeable battery - that fits torch & charger.
e. A spare set of 2 red O-rings, which is a good feature.
f. Instructions - basic but adequate.The instructions could usefully recommend the types of lubricant suitable for the rings (& the kit could usefully include a small sachet).

I bought a small mask torch too, as a back-up & for night diving support - that could usefully be included in a kit like like this but perhaps best to keep things simple.

Good value. Not cheap but probably the best value around currently. Good LED dive torches should become cheaper but this is not bad considering it has a nice robust metal & plastic case, bright focused LED beam and includes rechargeable battery & a decent UK charger. Pity about the neat looking but inadequate lanyard (same as the one which came with my tiny mask torch).

UV Reader Brown Tortoiseshell Reading Glasses Wayfarer Style Mens Womens UVR010 Strength +2.50
Offered by ROWALK HOLDINGS LIMITED

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value @£4.99 inc. shipping. Good width fitting. They sit a tad high on my face/nose, 18 Mar. 2016
I quite like these, although they sit a little high on my face, which is unusual. The bridge is probably a bit too narrow. Like most readers these are a bit narrow for my big head but these are a better fit than most width-wise. The shiny faux tortoise-shell frames could pass for more expensive glasses. The lens seem good/correct. At £4.99 inc. shipping they are good value.

If the bridge were 1 or 2mm wider they might be perfect

Chimney Cleaner 750gm
Chimney Cleaner 750gm
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

3.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to tell if it is doing anything at all., 18 Mar. 2016
Impossible to tell if it is doing anything at all. Does not produce coloured flames as many competing products do.
It's a grey powders, so it could just be a bucket of ash as far as I can tell. On the other hand, it might be working great.

SupaDec Decorator Sandpaper Assorted Pack of 12 468198
SupaDec Decorator Sandpaper Assorted Pack of 12 468198
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems ok, 18 Mar. 2016
Seems ok

Puregadgets© LED Illuminated Jewellers Jewellery Loupe Magnifying Glass Eye Lens 40 x 25mm Loop Hallmark Eye Lense Microscope Mini Pocket Magnifier
Offered by Electro World

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems ok, 18 Mar. 2016
Haven't used it much but seems to work ok and comes in a nice protective box, ready for when I need it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20