Profile for M. H. Ferrieux > Reviews

Content by M. H. Ferrieux

M. H. Ferrieux "helen fx" (Perpignan. France)

Page: 1 | 2
The Lemon Grove
The Lemon Grove
by Helen Walsh
Price: 3.49

1.0 out of 5 stars I was really disappointed in the story (possible but highly improbable), 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Lemon Grove (Paperback)
The publicity for this work, which I read in The Sunday Times Culture section, is highly misleading. After all the trouble I had about the delivery, I was really disappointed in the story (possible but highly improbable), the annoyingly pretentious style ( "She sits". "She gasps". "She drinks".) and the language reminiscent of a 12 year old school-boy: I mean there are other nouns for the outer reproductive organs than ****, ****, **** or ****. Ok, we're adults, but that's just it - adults have a wider vocabulary & need not resort to 4-letter words. To my mind, the book reads more like pre-teenagers' literature, to be savoured with a torch under the bed sheets..
I WANT MY MONEY BACK ! ! !

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling
Price: 7.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Ouch!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Paperback)
I bought this book purely because of the author. JKR has written fabulous books for youngsters and I imagined Casual Vacancy would be equally thrilling a book for adults. What a disappointment. In fact I was amazed to see how such (forgive me...) RUBBISH could find a publisher. Had the author been called Joe Bloggs it would never have found its way into print.
A score of unbelievable characters show us very brief segments of their activities: These cardboard cutouts are so alike that I couldn't distinguish if it was Samantha or Shirley who sold outsize bras. Was it Mr. Wall or Mr. Price who was a wife-beater? Ruth or Tessa or Terry or Kay who was an outsider? Does it matter? They seem interchangeable. As for the melodramatic corpse-strewn ending...oh please! Hamlet it ain't.

Angell, Pearl and Little God
Angell, Pearl and Little God
by Winston Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars The good die young, 30 Jun 2013
I first enjoyed this book about 15 years ago.
Reading it again recently, and now knowing "what happens", I appreciated all its character studies. The stolid, bulimic, cultured solicitor; the pretty, slightly snobbish, shop-girl who quickly learns which side her bread is buttered, and the beautiful, pint-sized, uneducated Godfrey who is all things to all women. This is not a thriller although it does end with a killing. It is more a study of jealousy, desire, opportunity, revenge and possession.
The seemingly strong character turns out to be the weakest; the seemingly weakest is in fact the strongest and the brute is shown to be the only sincere angle of the triangle.

Tails Don't Lie: A Decade of Dog Cartoons
Tails Don't Lie: A Decade of Dog Cartoons
by Adrian Raeside
Price: 9.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a smile?, 30 Jun 2013
Adrian Raeside is a cartoonist with not only sympathy but, more important, empathy with dogs. He knows how they feel; he understands the divine joy a dog feels when it's adopted from an animal refuge, but also the joy of finding just the right stick to carry home in triumph.
Most of the cartoons are hilarious; most of them make you laugh-at-loud, but some of them pull at your heart-strings when Adrian depicts the sadness of a lifetime spent in a refuge, or shows you - through canine eyes - the pain of a puppy mill. But don't despair: this book is full of love and will make you want to hug your faithful companion even more ardently.

The Old Maid
The Old Maid
by Edith Wharton
Price: 3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, 6 April 2013
This review is from: The Old Maid (Paperback)
loved this book. love the author. have read most of her works.
it seems i have to write two more words!

The Mighty Walzer
The Mighty Walzer
by Howard Jacobson
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 1 April 2013
This review is from: The Mighty Walzer (Paperback)
loved the book - love the author. reminds me of growing up in manchester in the fifties. very nostalgic. thanks

Daily Telegraph Big Book of Quick Crosswords 17: No. 17
Daily Telegraph Big Book of Quick Crosswords 17: No. 17
by Telegraph Group Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossword, 1 April 2013
Extrememly pleased with service. The two books arrived in one parcel thus saving some postage expense. Would most certainly recommend it and shall use it again.

Don't Look Now and Other Stories: Not After Midnight; A Border-Line Case; The Way of the Cross; The Breakthrough
by Daphne Du Maurier
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Paperback, 1 April 2013
Perfectly satisfied with service. Very many thanks. Would certainly recommend it. Shall use it again and surely very soon. Thanks.

I, Gloria Gold
I, Gloria Gold
by Judith Summers

5.0 out of 5 stars Is that me?, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: I, Gloria Gold (Paperback)
Gloria Gold is a 50-something housewife & mother. She lives for cleanliness and spends her life scrubbing away the imaginary dust, stains and spots in her house. Her daughter can't tolerate her mother's nosiness nor her mother's attempts to get her married off to a nice Jewish man (preferably a doctor - or, if he can't stand the sight of blood, a lawyer). When she comes face to dusky face with her daughter's live-in lover it is not at all what she expected or hoped for. However, there's also a son - a handsome, eligible accountant. Gloria meets his young paramour who is everything a potential mother-in-law desires : a good-looking young doctor working hard to become a specialist. Absolutely ideal....if only it were a woman.
Gloria's husband, Morrie, isn't everything a husband should be: he hides behind his newspaper as soon as he comes home, and once in bed, turns over. So, although not looking elsewhere for moral (& maybe more..) comfort she happens to come across a comforting man......if only his name were not Christian.
This book is subtly funny and reminded me of my own Mother, bless her. Reading it for the second time when my own kids were older, I thought "OMG - could Gloria be me....?

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

1.0 out of 5 stars Before I Go To Sleep, 28 Mar 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Hardcover)
The premise is excellent. Young woman wakes each morning with no idea of who /where she is, a traumatic car accident having left her with short-term amnesia.
But......the continuing story is improbable, the dialogue repeats itself ad nauseum, the villain can be guessed from about page 20 and the American terms (cookies, etc) tend to be jarring. (I'm sure Americans know what a biscuit and a pavement etc are). The ending is ridiculous - bring on the violins.
I wasted 4 and a couple of hours on this facile pseudo-chic-lit.(I was convinced S.J.Watson was a woman writer...but that's an insult to women writers).
Oh, go on, buy it; it'll larn you to believe the hype about new publications. (Did I hear something about "a pig in a poke"...?)

Page: 1 | 2