Profile for Default pen name > Reviews

Content by Default pen name

Default pen name (MCR, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Postnatal Rescue [DVD]
Postnatal Rescue [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Denton
Price: 10.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit into my day, really works!, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Postnatal Rescue [DVD] (DVD)
I can't really add much more to the other positive comments already here. Being a sleep deprived working mother of two young children, anything I do has to fit into my day not the other way round. I watched this before my youngest arrived and cringed at the 'camera efffects' and the touchy - feely-ness of it. Being quite fit and active before and then throughout my pregnancies I thought the exercises were a bit too gentle. Little did I know. It turned out it was just what I needed. My latest pregnancy really worked my poor old body and I give full credit to this lady for putting my back straight again, gently but firmly. Although I did have to mute her towards the end for being annoying.

WOW Toys Danny's Diving Adventure
WOW Toys Danny's Diving Adventure
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't look much but it's lasted well, 1 Mar 2014
I do like this toy- I really can't add anything to the description already given in the above blurb. Actually bought this when me son was about 18 months old, he's five now and still plays with it at every bath! Still looks as it did the day we opened the packaging. Bought it based on the reviews at the time, and When it arrived I thought it was rubbish as it doesn't really do anything. How wrong I was.

As another reviewer has posted, I soak his toys in a sterilising solution every now and then, and they come up spanking clean.

Big Book of Recipes for Babies, Toddlers & Children, 365 Quick, Easy and Healthy Dishes: From First Foods to Starting School (The Big Book Series)
by Bridget Wardley
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you need from the start of weaning. Definitely recommended, 16 Jan 2014
As rubbish cooks and mega busy working parents who are also conscientious about what we feed our kids, we haven't got time for messing about with lengthy, fussy cooking and trips to special shops. This book has done us for the last 5 years, recipes aren't bad at all, and the nutrition guidelines at the beginning have been useful to refer back to over the years. We did baby led weaning, but the puree guides and recipes seem good too.

Early Learning Centre - Bugs Discovery Balls and Links
Early Learning Centre - Bugs Discovery Balls and Links

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited play value, 17 Dec 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Great for swapping around with others toys, if you have extra links and are able to do this on your bouncer, playful etc, but as the review title, I think the majority of babies will quickly bore of these. The two identical balls, one rattles, one has a jingly bell. The red dotty ball crinkles.

They are nice for baby to look at, but once they're past the batting toys stage there's not much else baby can do with them. They're too big for little hands to practice grasping and rattling with, even with both hands, and there aren't any interesting textures on them for baby to explore, which is a shame as it would have prolonged their play life. Bit of a disappointment really.

Smiffys Donkey Poncho with Hood (S, Grey)
Smiffys Donkey Poncho with Hood (S, Grey)
Offered by Special Days & Gifts
Price: 10.21

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality material, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Smiffys Donkey Poncho (Toy)
Reluctantly bought this after much deliberation. The material is cheap and thin, and the Velcro fastening catches on it which has left some damage already. Only been worn a handful of times for an hour each time at the most. Sizing isn't great. Not recommended.

Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer
Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer
Offered by net_price_direct
Price: 49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not really suitable from birth, 3 Dec 2013
We previously owned a Fisher Price Linkadoos bouncer which was fabulous and faultless from newborn, however it doesn't appear to be made anymore hence buying this one.

The seat was far too upright for our newborn, and we found that she would slide towards the sides where she'd almost exit the darned thing, even though she was strapped in. We used a Snuzzler to hold her in. Once she reached about 6 weeks she had enough weight on her to be able to depress the seat, to stay in it more comfortably without the Snuzzler.

Option of music or sounds, plus volume control is very parent friendly! Whether or not your baby likes it will probably come down to personality. Those babies who love it would probably love any comfortable bouncer that has toys and music. I can see from other reviews that some babies love the vibration - ours hates it, and quickly gets bored with the monkey and the parrot. However our boy liked toys but wasn't too keen on musical things while our eldest was quite happy to sit in a vibrating bouncer without any toys.

As a parent I think not being able to remove the toys from the toybar is a real downfall of this product. The toys are also no longer the right distance away for encouraging her to bat/grab/kick them. We remove the bar and put another plastic toy bar with interchangeable toys in front of her instead.

In short, the bouncer is ok - some parents will rate it more than others, but don't be sucked in by the hype. I think it is way overpriced for what you get, and I am so glad we didn't pay full price for it. We're not frugal about these things but having gone overboard with deluxe baby products before we're probably just a bit wiser now! We got ours from a well known auction site in pristine and hardly used condition for a fraction of the price.

Summer Infant Snuzzler - Terry Cotton - Ivory
Summer Infant Snuzzler - Terry Cotton - Ivory
Offered by Hello Baby
Price: 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not for long enough!, 5 Nov 2013
Supports baby's head and stops it wobbling around, along with the padding around the body overall reducing the size of the space. We used this in the bouncer and the baby rocker to hold her in position until she wasn't in danger of sliding sideways anymore (about 6 weeks) and in the pushchair until 3 months. Then she outgrew it. We otherwise loved it, it gave reassurance as baby was titchy at only 6 and a half pounds, and I think it helped her daytime sleep thanks to its snugness around her body. I would recommend this to be used as we used it; if we'd had a lie flat pram/carrycot (instead of our "pushchair suitable from birth") we wouldn't have needed to buy it.

As another reviewer has mentioned, some simple design readjustment would help it to last a lot longer. Being able to remove the body padding would also enable baby to fit in it ( in the buggy) while wearing a thicker coat. The head part can be repositioned in a taller position on the velcro but this has the side effect of snagging on the rather delicate Terry material, leaving a laddered effect. It also bobbled easily on this side despite careful, normal use and not having washed it. Not too sure why the 'legs' bit is on there; I had hoped it would help to lift her up a bit if we tucked it under her bottom, but this bit actually isn't padded at all.

I'd also like to point out 'Summer Infant' appears to be the name of the maker, not it's recommended use for those disappointed that it isn't keeping their baby cool!

Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red)
Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red)
Offered by Think Fast EU
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars worked fine for us, still in great shape years on, 26 Oct 2013
we love this little cup. Never needed to use it for cup feeding, and I am not sure why anyone would need to (not judgemental, just feel there are other ways for babies who are unfortunately unable to feed from a regular feeding bottle).

This worked great for us from the start of my son sitting down to meals with us at 6 months, we had tried a two handled Tommee Tipped cup but he just couldn't't figure it out. It took him about a week to work out that he didn't need to try and latch onto the Doidy cup and with a little assistance at first he was able to hold and drink from it himself. He was about 9months old when he was able to confidently lift and drink from it himself independently and without spillage. He used it daily u til he was about 2.

5years later we still have it and will definitely be using it again! Buy it, regardless of all the 'best for teeth' business it's still a little bargain.

Morphy Richards Never Loses Suction 73231 Family and Pets Compact Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, good suction, compact and not too noisy, 5 July 2013
Bought this to replace my beloved almost 5 year old Morphy Richards Bagless Cylinder vacuum after I stupidly broke part of the hose by dropping the whole thing from the very top of the stairs. Amazingly it still worked perfectly, just the hose kept flying out while trying to use it.

Since moving to a much smaller house and being impressed with the brand and the reviews for this, I decided to go ahead and buy - and I do like it a lot. Perfect for my currently dodgy joints and back, so easy to use, empty and to store. The lead is quite short and I imagine this would annoy those who live in a bigger house than mine. Also for owners of pets I would imagine that you'd empty it a lot more frequently than I would, but for a nice looking vacuum cleaner that doesn't take up a lot of space, I wouldn't have expected differently. I don't actually have any pets but have quite a deep carpet and a rug that likes to moult. Also find long hair and fluff everywhere quite a lot (thanks kids), and it deals with this fine.

Summer Infant Rayshade (Single, Black)
Summer Infant Rayshade (Single, Black)
Price: 11.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase - still going 4 years later, 4 July 2013
I bought this 4 years ago after reading the reviews, having at the time just bought as beautiful buggy with a hood that was completely useless at providing any shade. It has since been used on 4 different buggies with no problems whatsoever. As the Rayshade is just a soft black jersey-like material, with a bit of common sense it is obvious that your buggy needs a canopy for you to be able to use it. On windy days it can fly up, but if your buggy allows, you can get round this easily by adjusting the front Velcro fastenings. It is very effective at providing shade and encouraging naptime, and has been so valuable on sun holidays abroad. There's quite a lot of stretch in it and could easily cover my baby in the older style Quinny Buzz with its big hood, right down to his toes without blowing back.

The Rayshade is NOT water-repellent as the description says (or at least, mine isn't!) although that is clearly not the reason that I bought it! It is still going strong. I haven't really looked after it to be honest, it even stayed on the buggy from leaving the house all the way through a budget flight to Europe, the duration of a holiday with lots of trekking and back again, still no holes or visible signs of wear. Pockets are big enough for bottles of suncream. Buying one was probably one of the best parenting tips I was given actually...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3