Profile for T. M. Eden > Reviews

Changeling: The Autobiography of Mike Oldfield
Changeling: The Autobiography of Mike Oldfield
by Mike Oldfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam?, 18 July 2007
Mike makes reference in this book to the fact that with some of his albums (Hergest Ridge & Incantations) he lost enthusiasm before the end. I can't help feeling that's what happened here: There is such detail on the recording of the early albums that I eagerly anticipated reading the same for Amarok (many fans' favourite) only to find that he squashed three albums into literally less than two pages!! (Yet he can still muster up three pages, about the same time, talking about one hot air balloon trip with Richard Branson).

Added to that was the frustration of Mike seeming so uncertain about many of his facts; he constantly says "it was at.....I think" or "it was called something like....." ["My first album was called Tubular Bells I think; something like that anyway" - I'm exaggerating but you get the point].

He even gets major facts wrong like referring to Maggie "Riley" [sic] on Moonlight Shadow as someone who had "done some backing vocals on some of the tours" when in fact she had already sung lead vocals on the last two albums!! Some of this patchy research (e.g. being sure where his mum and dad met) could surely have been solved by one phone call?

Be prepared also for the downbeat ending to so many parts of his life. In just one paragraph he goes from "It was wonderful where we were living..." to "I wanted to leave...I didn't feel comfortable there."

HAVING SAID ALL THAT...there are many, many interesting passages and anecdotes which lead me to still give this three stars despite all my apparent criticisms above.

If you are a fan - will you be engaged by much of this? Yes. Will you be ultimately disappointed? Most probably.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2014 9:44 AM BST