Profile for Disciple > Reviews

Content by Disciple

Disciple

Beethoven: The Piano Concertos (Decca Collectors Edition)
Beethoven: The Piano Concertos (Decca Collectors Edition)
Price: 16.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Ashkenazy, 22 Nov 2011
I agree with all the other reviewers. If you want a collection of these 5 works by the master, then you don't need to look any further.

Antonio Puig Quorum Aftershave 100 ml
Antonio Puig Quorum Aftershave 100 ml
Offered by PerfumeShopping
Price: 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Quorum Aftershave, 24 Dec 2010
I've loved using this aftershave for many years now. It seems difficult to get in shops these days, may be it's seen as a bit dated, I don't know. But it's a gentle but lasting scent, and the eau de toilette spray is excellent. I much prefer this to any deodorant spray, which I find irritates my skin.

R Strauss: Vier Letzte Lieder
R Strauss: Vier Letzte Lieder
Price: 7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical Soul Music, 8 Oct 2010
I was not familiar with this music before hearing it for the first time on 4th August watching the Proms Concert with the BPO, Simon Rattle and the Finnish soprano Karita Matilla. To say I was blown away with the shear sublime quality of the Four Last Songs is an understatement. I'm not a musician, but I love good music, and boy this was good. The mournful, soul searching qualities were a delight. As often happens, after hearing this I just had to buy a recording, but which one? When I saw one of my favourite conductors and the inimitable Kiri Te Kanawa, it had to be that one. I have played this so much over the past 4 or 5 weeks and each time it just brings tears of joy to my heart. The recording quality, to my ears anyway, seems perfect, and Solti's conducting of the Vienna Philharmonic, and his gifted piano accompaniment of the other 13 Lieder, are just magical. The VPO playing is of course up to their usual high standards and faultless, as you come to expect from them. As for Kiri Te Kanawa - her signing just takes your breath away. It's a magical combination and I can highly recommend this to anyone who wants to dip their toe into German Lieder and Strauss. I've got a recording of Janet Baker singing some of Mahler's lieder, and I guess the Four Last Songs are from a similar mould. All in all a stunning recording and a beatiful piece of music. Sit back and relax and drift off imagining your perfect scenery towards sunset, may be a gentle climb down from the hills overlooking Loch Lomond or driving through the alps between Italy and Austria. I hope you've got the picture. Just buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2012 11:00 PM BST