Profile for P Grainger > Reviews

P Grainger

JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
Price: 13.57

5.0 out of 5 stars They are big and gaudy but the sound is amazing for the price, 14 Mar 2014
The sound quality is that of a much more expensive ones. I've had various headphones from prices varying from 5 to 100 and they are probably on par with the top of that scale, if you want amazing quality they won't cut it. Day to day I don't think you can do any better. The colour is a bit bright so it may not be to everyone's taste, they aren't a conservative looking earphone.

The Good.
- The headphone leads are long enough, I would have preferred slightly longer but they are sufficient.
- The bass is great.
- The seem pretty rugged, they have lasted a year so far.

The bad.
- The heads are quite big and they look it. Much bigger than any I've seen before, they aren't that annoying just look weird.

Conclusion.
They are big and gaudy but the sound is amazing for the price

Kitchen Craft 45 cm Deluxe Cast Magnetic Knife Rack
Kitchen Craft 45 cm Deluxe Cast Magnetic Knife Rack
Price: 11.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, no issues., 14 Mar 2014
Installation was no issue, just drill two holes put the supplied wall plugs in and slot the ends on, no fuss.

It has held all my knives securely although you need to watch out for the thinner knives as they don't feel as secure as the thicker ones.

It looks nice, does the job at a reasonable price. Can't ask for more.

Vinturi Wine Aerator, Red Wine
Vinturi Wine Aerator, Red Wine
Offered by Dining Ware
Price: 25.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The action is five stars but the value makes it three, 14 Mar 2014
It's a good product, maybe one of the most used gadgets that I own, but there are many similar products on the market that look identical and are half the price.

The idea behind the device is pretty simple but it has such an effect I feel like I want to take it to restaurants or bars whenever I drink wine, I feel like I'm wasting the wine.

I'm not really a huge wine drinker, but if I do drink it I hate the after-taste that lingers in the mouth. With this that is gone and you can taste the main flavour without the unpleasantness.

My conclusion is yes, get a wine aerator, but don't get this expensive one.

Datel Wireless and Network Adaptor (Xbox 360)
Datel Wireless and Network Adaptor (Xbox 360)
Price: 34.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Was going to give it 4 starts but there is nothing to complain about., 14 Mar 2014
I'm not sure that I'm qualified to talk about this as I just put it in and it worked.

Use it nearly every day and haven't had one issue with lag, don't see why you would need anything else.

I haven't compared it against the official XBOX adapter but I don't see there would be any difference.

The Travel Book: A journey through every country in the world (Lonely Planet Travel Book)
by Lonely Planet
Price: 30.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really what I was after, it's good but nothing amazing., 14 Mar 2014
I bought this for my girlfriend for Christmas. We both love travelling and I thought it would be great to find out about the best places to go to and give me inspiration. However I got bored of it really quickly, I suppose when you can find out pretty much anything on the internet it makes this kind of book a bit obsolete. I kind of wish I didn't buy it now, it was a bit of an impulse.

The Good
- It's amazing value, I don't know how they make it for this price.
- Some of the pictures look amazing.
- It tells you when to go
- I trust lonely planet...a bit anyway.

The Bad
- It's a little too big, it's hard to keep anywhere out of the way
- There is nothing new in it.
- I would like more ideas, I think the book about great adventures or great trips would have been better.

The Pianist: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939-45
The Pianist: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939-45
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you understand the polish mentality.... a bit., 14 Mar 2014
I have a Polish girlfriend and I wanted to read something that made me understand the culture a bit better. It was written during the second world so things have changed since then, a bit :)

She recommended this book as she found the Polish version to be one of the most engaging (indirectly) about the war. I've read a few books set in this period but mainly from the English perspective.

The Good
- A lot of the characters in the book are very well written, I suppose because it is a true story, and
- It continues at a brisk pace that keeps you wanting more, I normally read before bed, my girlfriend was sometimes pretty angry at me!
- It made me feel for the lead character, even mundane facts were written in such a way that I felt closer to the character
- It's not depressing. Although bad things do happen it is written with some humour. A lot of war books make you feel like the world has lost all humanity. This book makes you believe in humanity even more!

The Bad
- It's really short, I would rather a good short book than a bad long one but I felt a bit cheated, however better than dragging it out.

Conclusion
It is definitely worth a read. I don't normally read translated books, I feel like something is always lost in translation, however it's the story that sells this book, I would recommend it to anyone, it's a great story.

Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Gluten Free Program
Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Gluten Free Program
Offered by Thinkprice
Price: 116.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it worth your time buying the cheaper one?, 14 Mar 2014
Before buying this bread maker I was torn. There were alternatives on the market for a much cheaper price but the reviews for this were so good that I thought I would take the risk.

My dad bought a cheap bread maker for less than half the price and he altered the recipe bit by bit until it worked perfectly and he used it for 10 years until the motor burnt out. He got a better loaf by making the dough cooking it in the oven so I can't really compare, so you can make the cheap ones work, but I'm lazy.

The Good
- It makes consistent bread, most of the loafs that come out of the machine look and taste the same. Can't argue with that.
- It's easy to use, it comes with a very precise manual and with loads of recipes, I like the Italian loaf with pasatta and sun dried tomatoes

The Bad
- It's big, really big, I've seen bread makers half this size.
- The bread is not in the best shape. You get this with all bread makers though, so more of a criticism of all bread makers.

The conclusion
If you just want something that works get this. If you want to mess around with the cheaper ones I think they are the better option, if you have the time.

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
Price: 5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for wresting fans - Warning: you might get the urge to watch old wrestling programmes..., 13 Mar 2014
I was a teenager in the 90's, for most boys of that age when wrestling was starting to become popular, it was the TV show of choice and there was still some doubt about how real it actually was. I chose to read this book based on a recommendation from one my roommates plus I quite like sports biographies now and again.

If you are a fan of sports biographies you should buy this book...now, no need to read the rest. If you are not bothered either way keep reading then you can make a decision. My overall opinion of the book is that it is a great story book that happens to have sport in it, it may actually be the best biographical book from a sports personality I have ever read.

Just so you know, this review is not a spoiler I'm not putting any plot lines in it. The book has basically three themes running through it, one is his past life, the second is the fun he is having and third is the downfall (his words not mine) of modern wrestling.

The Good:
- The stories about his family growing up are very immersive and the way they are told are fun and the pace is quite brisk while still containing enough detail.

- If you are interested at all in wrestling there is something voyeuristic about finding out little details about their life. It's a little like finding out secrets about your friends. :)

- You feel like he is telling you the truth. There are some stories in there that you think might get him in trouble, some are about his friends and family that don't paint them in the best light, however it doesn't seem to be vindictive.

- He has an interesting life and he portrays it in a fun and interesting way, can't get any better than that really.

- It's easy to read. This might be good or bad depending on what you looking for, It's one of those books that you can take on holiday with you or read on the bus or train, it's not going to stretch you.

The Bad.
- He comes a across as cocky and arrogant, when I first started reading the book I was going to stop reading altogether. I hate arrogance, and I didn't want to waste my time listening to someone brag for hours. However if you can get past that you will see that it's just a mask. When you realise that wrestling is all about bragging and portraying this unreal version of yourself then you can understand the effect it had on him

- It might turn you into weirdo that watches old wrestling on you tube. You have been warned!

Conclusion.
If you like biographies of any kind you will like this, if you are looking for something to challenge you or a fantasy story don't get it.

Storm Caladonian Men's Flap Pocket Urban Bag
Storm Caladonian Men's Flap Pocket Urban Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably hard wearing, 8 April 2012
This must be the hardest wearing bag I have ever owned.

I bought this bag when it was on special offer in 2005, It has been the main bag I have used over this period and nothing has broken, the leather on the underside is a bit worn but non of the stitching has come away, the zips still work well and no buttons have come off.

The bag has three compartments a large main area, with a zipped up compartment on the inside, a smaller compartment on the front with some smaller pockets for pens etc, and an even smaller compartment which has something to attach your keys to. It also has a small thin zipped compartment against the body which is good for hiding valuable stuff in as it is pretty impossible for a pick pocket to open it (unless you take it off :) )

It is great and couldn't recommend it highly.

The Naked Trader: How anyone can make money trading shares - 3rd edition
The Naked Trader: How anyone can make money trading shares - 3rd edition
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for begining trading, 8 April 2012
At the beginning I was not too keen on the conversational style of the book, I am not a big fan of authors wasting words. That said I refer to this book probably more than any other trading book I have owned. As opposed to the books written by the likes of Peter Lynch (One up on wall street, beat the street) this book gives you practical methods of picking shares, how to follow them, and probably most importantly how to follow a stock and re-evaluate.

If you are new to investing, or need a refresher to your skills and require a practical book to take you through modern techniques then it is definitely worth the price tag. If you are confident stock picking and looking for a more in depth analysis this won't help.

I don't really like the little bits of humour throughout the book, but that is just a clash with my sense of humour (expect dad jokes). The only other issue I had was some shameless self promotion which spoilt it a bit, but I did finish with the sense that he was trying his hardest to help the reader become a successful investor.