Profile for Julia > Reviews

Julia

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Call From France
A Call From France

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking read - just the thing I love!, 26 Jun 2014
A heart-rendingly honest account, based on the author's own experiences, of a move to France, the struggle to establish a business there, and the bewildering traumas of a difficult teenage daughter, who belligerently rejects her family and finds herself in situations that are every mother's nightmare. She is an intelligent, young girl who has every advantage, a loving family, a bright future, yet it all goes horribly wrong. Most of us who are parents can sympathise totally with this situation: the guilt, the questioning (what did I do wrong?), the terror of having to stand back and watch the possibility of a life falling apart. The epilogue gives some indication of what happened later; I only hope that the daughter was able to retrieve something positive from her mistakes, to turn her life around, and to recognise and appreciate the strength of her family's love and support.

Hotel Paradise (Kindle Single)
Hotel Paradise (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing read, 17 Mar 2014
I was transported to Paris then to a little island off Cannes as I read this story, a lovely afternoon's relaxation. Genevieve and Paul meet again at the Hotel Paradise after 12 years and she relives her past affair with the man she thought was the love of her life. The descriptions are so sensual, intense and immediate that the reader absorbs the Mediterranean ambience, filled with joy, passion, drama and grief. You can almost see and smell the dusty rooms, the herbs in the garden, the sea crashing on the rocks, the vivid sunshine ... Lovely book with a satisfying depth to the final message.

Cross My Heart: (Alex Cross 21)
Cross My Heart: (Alex Cross 21)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly badly written, 25 Nov 2013
What a disappointment. I have loved this series (and others) by James Patterson but I don't think I will be reading any more. The ending was abrupt and there was no resolution as you should expect in a thriller; it just petered out. I like novels which leave questions at the end (food for thought) but this was simply badly written. It also had Cross implying the culprit was someone whom we know did not do it, so it was all very odd. I assume that this is a technique to get readers to buy the next in the series where (presumably) we find out what actually happened. But sadly, I won't be one of them. I also feel that the Cross family was an excellent narrative creation to provide a counter-point to the horrendous parts of Alex's job: a safe haven with excellent characterisation. But now there is no such contrast, as Cross's family and background have been written as merging totally with the criminal (and insane!) scenes. Oh dear...why did Patterson think all that was OK?

My Way: How I took my book to the top of the charts...and how you can too!
My Way: How I took my book to the top of the charts...and how you can too!

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned a lot!, 27 Oct 2013
As an author, and trying to be proactive about advertising and marketing, I've read a number of texts about book promotion and have often found that they haven't really taught me anything I haven't already been trying to do. However, David Perlmutter's book My Way hit the spot. I found the sections on book covers, amazon pages, and blogging reassuring that I was on the right lines - but it was the section on Twitter which was most valuable to me. As I read, I realised that I had never properly understood the concept and use of Twitter professionally for an author. I've just spent a happy afternoon following David's advice and, frankly, it is enlightening! Thank you, David! There are also useful sections on pricing, marketing and facebook. It's an easy quick read (I read it all in less than an hour)and it is written in plain English with no unexplained technical jargon, but I shall keep dipping into it for some time to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars not for reading in sunlight, 23 Jun 2013
I am quite happy with what the kindle fire can do as a whole, but it is hopeless in sunlight, even the relatively low light in my UK garden. I will not be able to use it on holiday and will need to take my old original kindle as well in order to read outside. There is nothing to suggest this on the amazon site and I was basically told "tough" (really!) by the amazon employee I spoke to on the phone! He said that this wasn't what it was for!!! What? A kindle isn't for reading books!!! Potential buyers need to know this inadequacy. He also said that they never say what a product can't do, only what it can (?), even when it's misleading the potential buyer. Isn't this somewhat misleading marketing? It is in my opinion! I rechecked the site and it implies that kindle fire is OK for reading in sunlight. The latest ads on TV actually state that kindles are great in sunshine, and imply that this includes the kindle fire. It doesn't - only the original basic kindle and the paperwhite. I was advised to buy anti-glare stickers (wait - wasn't the Fire advertised as "anti-glare?!) which I foolishly did, but they make no difference whatsoever. A waste of money! Beware anyone who buys a Kindle Fire for outside reading - it's certainly not for reading on holiday on your balcony or by the pool.
Quotations from the Amazon Kindle Fire site, which includes a whole section on reading books on the device: "books and magazines in stunning colour", "stunning HD display", "crisp detailed text", "advanced polarising filter and anti-glare technology", "a display that's easy to view, even in overhead light". How does this marry up to "as a tablet it's not for reading in sunlight"?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2013 11:48 AM BST

Storm Clouds Gathering
Storm Clouds Gathering

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of emotion and sensitivity, 15 Jun 2013
The first novel of Pauline Barclay's that I have read but I will certainly read others by the same author. The background of a mid 1960s mill town is well depicted and I recognised a number of 60s references, bringing back that era to my mind. The issues of loss, betrayal and bereavement were sensitively handled. I just wonder whether Pauline managed to write this novel without tears, as there were sections where I felt that I might not be able to read any more, the emotions of painful loss were so clearly depicted.

A Chateau in Provence
A Chateau in Provence

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 April 2013
I thought that I would be reading about a chateau in Provence as the title suggests but instead it was a light and rather odd bumpy story about an ex-con. The chateau was almost irrelevant to the plot. The characters are not well rounded and I found it predictable and actually rather silly. Some parts of the plot were almost incomprehensible in their lack of reference and there were many inconsistencies. The ending was a complete let-down.

A Villa in Tuscany
A Villa in Tuscany

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but uneven, 18 April 2013
I really don't know why I enjoyed this as in some ways the plot shifts annoyed me, and I found it uneven. However, the Italian background was well described and I could imagine it well. There was some irritating lack of consistency and cohesion: I think that at one point Charley Wood forgot why the main character had wanted to go to the Tuscan cooking school in the first place - wasn't it to finance a restaurant and learn about the food, not to become the chef? - and there were some odd plot bumps, but I still enjoyed the read, as much for the Tuscan context as anything.

Borrowed Time
Borrowed Time

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable but trudged in places, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Borrowed Time (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Edie Claire's Long Time Coming and started Borrowed Time in anticipation of another absorbing read. However I was a little disappointed in that the character of Sarah tended to annoy me after a while. I began to wonder why Adam bothered with her - although as a minister there was always the lost soul element. Some parts were dark, in terms of character development and plot, and I did not feel it unfolded as well as Long Time Coming which had far more threads within it. But still, an interesting "mystery".

Long Time Coming
Long Time Coming

5.0 out of 5 stars romance and mystery conbined, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Long Time Coming (Kindle Edition)
I really loved this book, with its elements of romance, mystery and the paranormal. I don't usually enjoy the latter but in this case it was woven expertly into the plot and was a part of the mystery rather than some kind of paranormal romance genre. Although I had an inkling of the resolution quite a way before the end I still enjoyed reading it to the denouement. I liked the style of writing too and the way that the author Edie Claire interwove the threads of realism and non-realism.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3