Profile for C. A. Godden > Reviews

Content by C. A. Godden

C. A. Godden "wizard lady" (North Yorkshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2
57cm BLACK BALL TOP CAST IRON FIRESIDE COMPANION SET
57cm BLACK BALL TOP CAST IRON FIRESIDE COMPANION SET

4.0 out of 5 stars For a woodburner, 7 Dec 2012
Bought this for my grandaughter who now has a woodburner.
The price was good and it looks pretty solid, but it is for Christmas so hasn't been used yet.

Dr. Marten's Unisex Black Leather Safety 7B10 Boots  9 Uk Regular
Dr. Marten's Unisex Black Leather Safety 7B10 Boots 9 Uk Regular
Offered by James and James Footwear
Price: 69.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the one for me, 7 Dec 2012
Not the one for me unfortunately. The boots looked well-made but they didn't fit me well enough and I found the leather too hard.

The Children's Hour
The Children's Hour
by Marcia Willett
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as enjoyable as I'd hoped, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Children's Hour (Paperback)
Marcia Willett's novels are well crafted and well written and you know, more or less, what to expect: lots of atmosphere of the West Country; the young couple, families, problems sorted etc. Sometimes that's just what you want for a 'good read'.
So I began this novel with those expectations. However, personally, I found the plot too uncomfortable and I don't think I would read it again.

The Town in Bloom
The Town in Bloom
Price: 4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Dodie Smith, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Town in Bloom (Kindle Edition)
Having said that, what is typical of her writing?
The books are all so different but all have fine writing
and a good, gentle plot.
Very enjoyable

Paperboy
Paperboy
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Now I know where Christopher Fowler is coming from!, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Paperboy (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book very much. I am a fan of the author's 'Bryant & May' oddball detective stories and reading this autobiography helped to understand just where he was coming from!
It was particularly interesting as we are roughly the same age and share some memories of just how life was during the 50's and 60's.
Coming from a settled,loving home, albeit not much money to spare, this book made me realise just how lucky I was.
I loved his mother: her story must have been so typical of so many women's at that time.
A good read from a good writer.

Sweet Death, Come Softly (The York Cycle of Mysteries)
Sweet Death, Come Softly (The York Cycle of Mysteries)
by Barbara Whitehead

4.0 out of 5 stars Set in York with lots of accurate location details, 21 April 2012
Another well-written detective story, set in York with lots of accurate location details. Many of her earlier characters pop up again, which always adds to the plausabilty of a series of books. This time it features a York chocolate factory and is fascinating in the detail of chocolate making and marketing. Really enjoyed it and will look out for others I might have missed.

All About Food
All About Food
by Helen McGrath
Price: 18.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost indispensible, 13 April 2012
This review is from: All About Food (Paperback)
I first came across this excellent book when teaching Home Economics in the 1990's:
It proved to be a 'bible' of information for the students. It is well written with clear diagrams and the recipes are foolproof too.
I gave a copy to both my sons when they went to college and university and now I've had a phone call from my grandaughter asking if I could get her a copy because her sister has pinched it...
Added to which, I find myself checking on the recipes for old stand-by's too!

Mateo the Girafe automatic nightlight
Mateo the Girafe automatic nightlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet nights now, 3 Mar 2012
I bought this giraffe nightlight for my baby great-grandaughter, aged 1, who quite suddenly became frightened of the dark. My grandaughter says that it is delightful and has solved the problem. Quiet nights for all now.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job., 16 Dec 2011
My husband needed a bow tie to go with a dress suit. This is just the job and he looked very smart. It didn't come very quickly (you get used to things arriving very fast now) but it was well in time for us to hit the town.

Practising Reiki. Aura. Chakras. Meditation. Distance Healing. Universal Life Energy. Sacred Symbols. Backgrounds & Philosophy. Treatment. Related Therapies
by Jennie Austin

4.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book, 16 Dec 2011
A very helpful book to get an understanding of Reiki. I am a Reiki Master/Teacher and like to give a copy of this book to my students after attunements to Reiki 1 and Reiki 2. It covers most of the information needed and probably fills in the gaps that I have had to leave out. A good handbook to take with you.

Page: 1 | 2