Profile for Motion picture man > Reviews

Dyson DC40 Animal Lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 339.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Damages carpets, 30 Sep 2013
I was a little concerned to feel how the strong suction made the whole thing difficult to push over the carpet. I decided to test what this was causing by selecting the same area to clean 5 times. The size of the area was approximately 2ft by 5ft. The carpet was perfectly clean after first try and I emptied the cylinder. I then went through the same process 4 more times and each time I emptied the cylinder. And each time the cylinder had a new small clump of fluff picked up, about the size of a large cherry. When I cleaned this piece of fluff and compared it to an untangled loop from the same carpet, it was exactly the same fibres, identical. This is conclusive proof that the DC40 pulls up carpet fibres every time it is used. People are often impressed by the amount of stuff a Dyson picks up without realizing that a good proportion of that stuff is actually your carpet plus dust, hairs and dirt which discolour the carpet fibres giving the impression that the Dyson has really cleaned your carpet well. Well it has, but it has also stripped it. This is no different to scrubbing your self clean until you are removing some of your skin. If you have a Dyson try my experiment for yourself. I have now concluded that a non damaging carpet vacuum cleaner is one when you can just about feel the cleaning head lightly gripping the surface. There are many models of this kind nature costing between 50 and 100, I now have one and my carpets are safe. Each to their own, but remember when you use your Dyson it is not only stripping fibres but loosening many more only to suck those up too next time you use it. This review is based on an actual experiment it is not an opinion it is a fact. I hope it is helpful to others as Dyson offer no refund for this discovery I have made. They told me to contact the carpet manufacturers. I'll leave you to reflect on that.

The Big Country [Blu-ray] [1958] [US Import]
The Big Country [Blu-ray] [1958] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Burl Ives
Offered by Moref Designs
Price: 9.34

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Country- Blu ray US import, 7 Jan 2013
Firstly, this US import Blu ray plays in the UK, I mention this as it is not clear on the UK Amazon listing that this disc is region free or at least playable in Europe.
The Big Country is an intelligent Western and when I first saw it way back in the late sixties I was too young to fully appreciate its maturity. I remember of course the rousing score by Jerome Morross and the vast landscapes. To view it again on my 42in LG tv in splendid Blu ray has been magical. NOTE: Do not be disappointed during the opening titles, for some reason these images have not been Blu ray'd, I dont know why. This does not spoil the experience when the majestic theme music sounds as beautiful as ever accompanying the thundering stagecoach.
When we then see the very first scene of the movie, the tiny town, the splendour of the Blu ray kicks in with sharp, dynamic colour and contrast. From then on the blu ray version is a visual feast. The Big country landscapes become even bigger and the larger your screen the more amazing it will look.
I refer you to other reviews and wikipedia for the plot.
The Big country is for me quite out on its own in the way it interprets a story of the American West in the 19th century.
It considers the struggles and dilemmas to maintain some integrity, morality and justice facing those settling in this huge expanse. It reveals alot of the personality of each of its main characters gradually and cleverly. Romance is very realistically handled as is the true value of love. Pride and honour eventually determine it's outcome. A destiny the viewer eventually realises was sadly the only fate deserved.
It really is unique in its genre due to how it drip feeds the viewer its engrossing saga. Even for those who may not grasp this aspect too well, the Big country is a wonderful cinematic sight, it is amongst a few movies which display brilliantly and conclusively the real meaning of the 'big screen', sweeping to its full width and depth the awesome panoramas of open country, their splendour ever present in a very big story. Enjoy, and make it Blu ray, you will be in the cinema!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 5:42 PM GMT

The Innocents (Blu-ray)
The Innocents (Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Jack Clayton
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 13.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 16 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Innocents (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
Once upon a time before special effects there was a fine art in cinema which used the viewer's mind to create effects which have not since been improved upon. Film makers during this period strived to maximise this through shot composition, art direction, light and shade, music score, simple editing, evocative cinematography and a style of acting to further enhance the desired effect in close relation to all of these disciplines and skills. 'The Innocents' is one the finest examples in this category. Engrossing and disturbing, always compelling. Lower the lights, open your mind and dare to let this black and white masterpiece contaminate you with endless psychological colour. You cannot fail to find yourself reflecting on its effect and feel the energy of its masterful delivery. Enhanced clarity in sound and vision via blu-ray.(I hope readers are not deterred from purchasing this disc due to some people receiving faulty discs, it is important to remember they are reviewing their experience and not the film. I suggest returning and requesting another if this happens, Amazon will accommodate I'm sure)
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2014 12:33 PM BST