Profile for LondonMum > Reviews

Hama Beads 10,000 Beads in a Bucket
Hama Beads 10,000 Beads in a Bucket
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars We love hama beads, 5 Dec 2013
This big box of standard solid colours is good value and in our view you can never have too many Hama beads!

Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai (Frances Foster Books)
by Claire A. Nivola
Price: 10.09

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely book, 5 Dec 2013
This is a wonderful story and it is beautifully illustrated. All the more enjoyable and inspirational as it is true.

Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
by Carol McCloud
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for making children aware of how their behaviour can impact other people, 5 Dec 2013
I read reviews of this book on a US website and was ordered it out as an experiment. My son has a tendency to be a little negative and I was looking for a book we could use to discuss being aware of the impact of negativity on those around you. This book is perfect in that respect (although it is a little repetitive). To a UK reader it might seem a little preachy but I do not think that is a problem as it gets its message across. To summarise, the premise of the book is that we all carry an invisible bucket which gets filled when someone says or does kind/positive words/actions directed at us and that having a full bucket makes us feel happy. In filling someone else's bucket you also fill up your own, as making others feel good makes you feel good. Rather amusingly/predictably (perhaps for the slight preachiness mentioned) my son (aged 7) did not particularly like the book, however his little sister (aged 4), who is much more cheerful by nature, really loved it and would at the end of every day discuss whether she had "filled her bucket" and my son would then join in and so the book has certainly served its purpose. The expression has become part of our family's vocabulary and I will now say to him if he is very negative that he is "emptying my bucket" and he instantly understands and modifies his behaviour. I would recommend this book although if it hadn't been for his younger sister's enthusiasm this might have been less successful!

Fly Me to the Moon [DVD]
Fly Me to the Moon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Stassen
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 3.80

3.0 out of 5 stars not the same version we saw at the Imax Cinema, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fly Me to the Moon [DVD] (DVD)
We saw this film at the Imax cinema and we all loved it so I ordered the dvd when i saw it for a sale on Amazon about a year later. However the dvd version had an extra little subplot about Russians trying to sabotage the rocket which personally I found jingoistic and which spoiled the film for me; my children of course were oblivious and still enjoyed it. My partner then did some research and discovered that there are two versions of the film around, I'm still not sure though how you'd distinguish when buying it.

Not Everyone is Nice: Helping Children Learn Caution with Strangers (Let's Talk)
by Frederick Alimonti
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point for talking about stranger danger, 5 Dec 2013
I read reviews about this book and decided to buy it as my partner and I were mildly concerned that our daughter was a little over trusting of strangers. We sat down and read it together with her old brother (she was just 4 and he was just 7). I found the situation in the story a little unlikely (i.e. that a child of who appears to be approx 4 would be left to wait for her mother outside her nursery on a street corner) but that wasn't really an issue as we talked about situations where they might be out of our sight briefly for example at the park. The book was a good starting point for a discussion about how grown ups might try to be friendly and invent things they have in common with you to make you feel comfortable around them but how they could be lying and you should not accept anything from them or go anywhere with them and it uses the idea of things that look nice being dangerous. We think that there is a small risk of harm for our children from stranger danger (compared to traffic and road safety which we have spent a lot of time talking about) but that we wanted to gently introduce this topic to them and this book was excellent in this respect.

Side by Side/Lado a Lado: The Story of Dolores Huerta and Cesar Chavez/La Historia de Dolores Huerta y Cesar Chavez
by Monica Brown
Price: 9.11

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely book, 5 Dec 2013
We enjoyed this book and our son, aged 7, seemed interested in the ideas, though I think he's perhaps still a little young for it. I am teaching him Spanish so that is an added bonus.

Hetty Feather
Hetty Feather
by Jacqueline Wilson
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific story, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hetty Feather (Paperback)
We bought this out of historical interest initially as we live near Coram Fields, the site of the Foundling Hospital where Hetty grew up. We read it as a bedtime story to our (then) six year old and he loved it. Hetty is a wonderful heroine; resilient, resourceful, impetuous and brave. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing and the vocabulary as I had heard some negative comments from parents about this author. I gather some reviewers feel her books can be a bit repetitive but this was the first we had read and the description of poverty stricken childhood in Victorian London was fascinating to my son (who is generally only moved by Star Wars!). We have subsequently read the two sequels and loved them both.

Staedtler Triplus Colour 323 SB20 Fibre-Tip Pen Desktop Box - Assorted Colours (Pack of 20)
Price: 13.67

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality pens, last a long time, 5 Dec 2013
I ordered these for my two children who have used them pretty much every day for months and they are still going strong.

Studio Yoga Mat Bag - Grey/Black
Studio Yoga Mat Bag - Grey/Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap broke after very little use and Fushi Wellbeing (the seller) refused to replace or refund it, 5 Dec 2013
I ordered this product on 20 July 2013 from Fushi Wellbeing and when it arrived I was initially very pleased with it as it looks strong and well made. I chose it over other cheaper yoga mat bags as it was plain and waterproof and I liked the look and functionality. Since then I have used the product approximately 12 times, to go to a yoga class one night a week, and to get there I strap the bag with the mat in onto the back of my bike (so there is no stress on the strap when I use it). However the strap on one end has pulled out of the bag almost completely, and has frayed very badly so it is not reparable. There appears to have been no excess strap sewn in to make the join strong or secure. Apart from this the product still appears new as it is barely used. I contacted the seller, Fushi Wellbeing, through Amazon at the end of November 2013 to inform them of the fault and ask for a replacement bag. They replied that they would not replace or refund as I had had the product too long. I then googled their phoned number and called them to give further details (as you only get 200 characters on Amazon to explain the problem) and offered to email them a photo of the product or return it to them and they replied saying that they accepted that the product was faulty but that I had had it too long for them to be expected to replace it. I subsequently contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau Consumer Online advice guide which states that this sort of product should be replaced if it fails within 6 months (I had contacted Fushi Wellbeing 5 months after purchase). I have now gone through the Amazon A-Z guarantee to seek help and will update this review when I hear back from Amazon. Overall a very disappointing experience from both product and seller, and a shame as I liked the bag.