Profile for carnifex > Reviews

carnifex

Melitta Look Deluxe Filter Coffee Machine, Black/ Silver
Melitta Look Deluxe Filter Coffee Machine, Black/ Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect., 27 Feb 2014
I bought this coffee maker in early February and, so far, have been pleased with its performance. The adjustable strength dial seems to work effectively, the water tank is easy to fill and the auto switch-off function is a useful feature.
However, there are a some failings which make this machine less than perfect. As others have mentioned, the level markers on the jug are too small to be of use and filling with the required amount of water is difficult to judge. In addition, although the water levels on either side of the machine are clearly printed in white, the background in the water tank is black and therefore the level of water poured in is very difficult to see. Finally, after the machine has finished its percolating cycle, there is always a trail of condensation which emanates from the top case release button and drips down the front of the housing onto the glass jug. Easily wiped off but irritating.
So, a machine which works well but is by no means perfect and because of these deficiencies only worth three stars in my opinion. However, I bought my Melita from Amazon.de at a price of £35 (including postage) and it was delivered in 4 days, which made it a good buy. Of course, as I knew it would arrive with a European 2-pin plug, I took the precaution of ordering a Brennerstuhl Travel Mains Plug via Amazon from Standish Trading (£3.20 with free postage - excellent purchase) which is very well made.

Mission to Paris
Mission to Paris
by Alan Furst

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: Mission to Paris (Hardcover)
I have to say that, unlike many other reviewers who managed to find so much to write about this book and who seemed, on the whole, to be reasonably satisfied with it, that I found it a great disappointment. Any new Alan Furst novel is to be anticipated with great excitement but this, his latest, smacks of the 'one book a year' school of literature, just to satisfy the demands of a loyal readership. Having read all of his output, from the sublime Spies of the Balkans to the pleasures of The Polish Officer and The World at Night, I was expecting great things but this turned out to be very lack-lustre: again the same formula of the expatriate in Paris getting involved with Nazi skullduggery, beautiful and available women and, in mitigation, always interesting descriptions of the Paris banlieue of the 1930s, but this has now become such a formula that I think I could possibly write a similar script myself. Personally, I would rather wait for another five years in order to read a really good, freshly-plotted novel than to be drawn into buying a rather poor annual offering by a author whose earlier work I absolutely adored.

Toshiba RDXV60 3-in-1 DVD, HDD and VHS Recorder (discontinued by manufacturer)
Toshiba RDXV60 3-in-1 DVD, HDD and VHS Recorder (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by DIRECT 4

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality machine, 21 Nov 2011
Toshiba RDXV60 Digital 3 in 1 320GB HDD / DVD and VCR Recorder with Freeview +.I bought this machine from an independent retailer (not Amazon) in August 2010 and, less than 15 months later, the DVD tray refuses to open. Toshiba UK have refused to consider a goodwill contribution towards the cost of repair, even though it's only just out of guarantee and is a replacement for my last Toshiba machine that lated about 11 years (so I've been a good customer). So now I have to find a repairer who can fix it and in the meantime, because it's an all-in-one unit, I shall have to be without a recorder of any sort. All-in-one units - never again; any product made by Toshiba - definitely never again!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2012 11:28 PM BST

Fellowes Powershred DS-1 Cross-Cut Shredder with SafeSense Technology
Fellowes Powershred DS-1 Cross-Cut Shredder with SafeSense Technology

1.0 out of 5 stars Fellowes DS1 shredder, 19 Nov 2011
Having owned this shredder for over 12 months I am very disappointed with the gradual reduction in performance. In spite of regular oiling and fairly light use it now struggles to cope with more than one lightweight sheet of paper at a time, and as for anything approaching 150-200 gsm, forget it. It frequently stops part-way through and then the reverse function fails to eject, necessitating a lot of tugging (and cursing!).

I would certainly think twice before buying another product from this manufacturer.