Profile for Glosblue > Reviews

Content by Glosblue

Glosblue "bobeaumont" (gloucestershire, uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Red Storm Rising
Red Storm Rising
by Tom Clancy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, 3 July 2008
This review is from: Red Storm Rising (Paperback)
Written way back in the late 80's, the was the first Tom Clancy book I ever read and I am now on my second copy.
A depiction of what could of happened if the Warsaw pact had ever attacked NATO, it tells the story from both angles and the battle scenes are excellent. I have re-read the story many times now and even if you may not even remember those days, it is still a great read and a fantastic introduction to Tom Clancy.

House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD]
House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sid Haig
Offered by FilmloverUK
Price: 9.75

4.0 out of 5 stars A real chiller, 16 Oct 2007
I had heard about this film way before I finally got to sit down and watch it, I missed it at the cinema, but had read all the reviews and was expecting a real dumbed down gore-feast.
I was really surprised to be watching a excellent horror film, with good acting, intelligent storyline (for a horror film) and some distrubing imagery.
This was not what I was expecting!
There were certain point where I was actual beginning to feel quite disturbed, not by some of the gore, but by some of the images on the screen, "the taking of one of the one couples to the pit in moonlight, whilst they were dressed as rabbits", even when the lovely Ms Moon was singingin her strange little show, was almost too weird for me.
Highly recommended, however this is definately not for a teen post-Scream crowd, this is for serious horror fans only.

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
by Max Brooks
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Information packed, 15 Aug 2007
Well, I read World War Z first and really enjoyed it so sought out the authors first book. Whilst not being as enjoyable as WW Z, this is very much a different kettle of fish. I love my Zombies, and as such I am aware of much of the folk lore and film lore behind Zombie survival, this will however be of great help to the Undead unaware out there.
One main criticism of the book, is that it has a bit of a American slant to the survival tips (which the author admits).
Overall get fun, but as another reviewers has commented, read this before World War Z.

Declaration
Declaration

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 31 July 2007
This review is from: Declaration (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it first came out, and the power of the album to rock has not changed.
I have seen The Alarm and Mike Peters (the lead singer) live so many times, and it was in doing so many live gigs that they originally attracted a huge mid-eighties following. Some may say, that they were too similar to U2, they actually supported U2 at Red Rock, and it was only after they had played that U2 decided to go on with the gig after it had poured down and a large portion of the crowd had gone home.
As for the album, all the tracks rock and it is on Declaration that you find 68 Guns, this is the only song most people have heard of when you mention the Alarm.
For me the stand out tracks are Marching On, Blaze of Glory, and The Deciever. Do yourself a favour and buy this album, and then go see them live! Yes they are still playing (although with a new lineup).
Wind down the window and play it LOUD!!!

Desperation
Desperation
by Stephen King

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard Going, 31 July 2007
This review is from: Desperation (Paperback)
Mmm, what to say about this one. I am a big horror fan and King is one of my favourite authors, but this isn't one of his better stories. I, at times really stuggled to stay engaged with the story and charactors.
The fact that I read this book back to back with "The Regulators" didn't help. For those of you who don't know, the two books were released at the same time and use a lot of the same names of charactors, which was a bit confusing.
I would have personally liked a bit more of an explaination of what exactly what Tak was, and where had he come from, but you cant have everything!
Overall, not a bad read, but by Mr Kings efforts, a poor one.
By the way for those of you who think this book contains lots of gore can I point you in the direction of some early James Herbert novels, The Rats, and The Dark, to show you real gore.

The Funhouse
The Funhouse
by Dean Koontz
Price: 8.30

2.0 out of 5 stars Another poor review!, 21 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Funhouse (Paperback)
I am afraid that I have to agree with the other comments from reviewers. I am normally a big fan of Dean Koontz's work, but after a fairly good buildup with the back story the ending of the book seems really rushed, as though once Koontz had his main characters inside the Funhouse he ran out of ideas.

He mentions that this was originally a screenplay for a horror film (which I have never seen, let alone heard of), and that he had to "flesh" some of the story out.

Well it seems to me, he should have taken a bit longer and done it properly.

One for Koontz completists only.

Shogun Total War - Warlords Edition (PC CD)
Shogun Total War - Warlords Edition (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game Play, 11 April 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
A friend of mine had Medieval Total War and let me have a go on it, having enjoyed it I decided to start at the beginning of the series and try out Shogun.

I loved it, it was a total change from Age of Empires which I had been playing before, the fact that you could participate in individual battles was a revelation. There is nothing better than seeing your army rout another from the field of battle.

One slight complaint is sometimes parts of your army wouldnt move to where exactly where you wanted them to go.

Overall this game provided me with a good couple of months of excellent gaming. Recommended for all.

Bad Cat
Bad Cat
by Jim Edgar

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me chuckle, 3 April 2007
This review is from: Bad Cat (Paperback)
Good fun and definately recommended.

Nothing but pictures and comments underneath, while some of the comments are "American", you can still appreciate the photo.

One for cat lovers everywhere.

My favourite the kitten on page 243, you decide which is yours!

City of the Dead
City of the Dead
by Brian Keene
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Follow on, 3 April 2007
Well, I had a look and read what the other reviewers had written before I started this review and Mr Keene's book has certainly divided the readers into two camps.

I think I fall into the "enjoyed it camp", City of the Dead does not disappoint in its levels of gore and story pace, and nothing like as bad as one of the reviewers has made out. As others have mentioned the story picks up immediately from where the last book finished, so anyone reading this would have HAD to have read The Rising.

I won't go into the storyline again but would I recommend the series, Yes. I enjoyed the new take on the zombies especially the whole animal zombie aspect. Was the ending a let-down, not at all, I just wish it could have had a different ending so the series could have continued.

World War Z
World War Z
by Max Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to Zombie Literature., 26 Jan 2007
This review is from: World War Z (Paperback)
This books ranks in the top five of the books I have read. I read it in one sitting on a long haul flight back to the UK and like other reviewers found myself lost in Mr Brooks world.

The story is basically a bunch of recollections from around the world from various individuals of a plague of zombies, told to the author in a interview style.

The action is all post event, as the zombies were eventually defeated, but it was a close run thing. The interviewees range from the doctor in China who made first contact with Patient Zero, to dog handlers in the USA who train their dogs to hunt out the infected, to a computer geeks in Japan, who is so ingrossed doesnt even realise what is happening in the outside world.

Never silly, the story barrells along dragging its reader with it.

I haven't Mr Brooks first book the Survival Guide yet, but it is on my list!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11