Profile for Paul Lemon > Reviews

Content by Paul Lemon

Paul Lemon (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Amber Fury
The Amber Fury
Price: 5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Greek plays, teenagers and murder, 21 May 2014
This review is from: The Amber Fury (Kindle Edition)
After listening to an interview with the author on Radio 4's Woman's Hour I was sufficiently intrigued to buy the book for my kindle. It is not normally my genre. I tend to go for Sci Fi/Fantasy so the story of a woman failing to come to terms with the death of her boyfriend was a bit of a departure for me. Set mostly in Edinburgh with occasional forays to London this book became a bit of a page turner so the plot builds as Alex, the grieving girlfriend escapes to run classes on Greek plays to a group of damaged and violent teenagers. Little does she know that young minds will be quite so impressionable or go to such
extreme lengths to get her approval.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
Offered by findprice
Price: 19.31

2.0 out of 5 stars It looks brilliant but shame about the mechanics., 10 Mar 2014
So far, about an hour in, meh. It's not very inspiring. The combat is clunky. It's not very obvious it's your turn and when it is, while selection of your powers is ok, choosing from a radial wheel, the timed hits take some doing. I failed miserably during the training sessions with Cartman. He did insult me very amusingly though. The games graphics are straight out of the show. In that they are more or less perfect. However the interface looks exceedingly boring and uninspiring. I guess it follows the general basic look of the game. So it's nothing to write home about. It's functional and that's the best I can say. Also it looks like it was designed for a PC, ie with a mouse it would be a breeze to operate

I just died after failing to control my character. Blocking is a pain and I can't seem to block for my companion unless I am missing something? So he keeps dying. Ho hum.

On a final note I hoped to get the intro theme from the show but no, just some orchestral music which does not really fit. Oh and the freeware software that I used to create my Facebook profile picture offered more character creation options.

I am not even sure if I want to play it again. Ok I was not expecting Skyrim production values but considering the delays is getting this game out I expected something more polished and fun to play. It has the lovely cut out graphics I expected and the voice track is as funny as I could wish but it's not pulling me back to play it again so it's a fail for me.

10 for graphics 10 for sound, 8 for the plot but 4 for the combat system, and 4 for the game mechanics. Thank goodness I did not shell out the cash for the Wizard deluxe version! Otherwise I would have outdone Cartman for expletives!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2014 11:10 AM GMT

A Pliocene Companion
A Pliocene Companion
Price: 1.79

3.0 out of 5 stars No maps in the UK Kindle edition, 4 Jan 2014
Love the books. I read them when they first came out thirty years ago. This companion guide is quite good but do check the US Kindle store index. It's longer than the UK version. Why? Also we are missing the maps which is the main reason I bought it in the first place. Bummer!

Diablo III (PS3)
Diablo III (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 19.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun despite a confused menu system., 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Diablo III (PS3) (Video Game)
Diablo III PS3

Having left a mediocre review of the latest Diablo on some PC site. I then got into it. I like my action RPGs.
However the continual point and click of these games wears me down after an while so I was looking forward to try the new direct control of the PS3 version. It is better than using a mouse though its not as precise. To offset this Diablo PS3 has auto targeting which helps, although at first, the way your target gets a red outline was a bit jarring. So now I have moved from clicking a mouse button to attack to pressing a trigger. I do wish I could just hold down the fire button at times but I guess that would deplete my power reserves too fast as certain moves need spirit power or rage depending on which type of character you are playing.

The graphics are not bad. Thankfully the PS3 version is more zoomed in than the PC version so I am not having to peer at the screen. I do wish Diablo III had a zoom function though so I could at times get more involved in the action. I would also like more PS3 games to run at 1080p instead of 720p as Diablo would benefit from the increased resolution.

Now to the bad stuff, the menu system. It's a bit of a mess. The lack of an instruction manual makes it worse. There are tabs and tabs and pages of skills and whatnot. The radial menu around your figure is confusing too. I am continually flipping around tampering with this or that. It's often hit or miss to add runes to weapons skills. Often you pick up a skill that you cannot even find in the menu system. Then an hour later when you are looking for something else you find it. It's a bit of a learning curve and not a very intuitive one either which is a shame as the game itself is pretty good.

Another thing I found lacking at first was the expense of health potions. At 500g a pop I was having to rely on the potion drops far too much and sometimes they fall like rain and at other times you just die. I have died more often in the earlier levels than I ever did I in the PC version. Once I got to say level 7 it did get a bit easier as the loot started piling in so I could flog it to buy more potions. However I have yet to amass more than 8 and this is playing on Normal/Medium.

I do find myself getting into a killing spree with the PS3 version far more than I ever did did with any of the PC versions. It's not quite up to my experience with the first God of War game where I had to stop playing eventually as my heart was racing and my hands were shaking! With that game for once I could see a connection with video violence spilling over into real life as I could have easily come away from God of War and killed a cat or two! Diablo III PS3 generates in me some of that excitement as I throw my character recklessly into huge brawls that he only has a slim chance of winning, but when he does, boy does it feel good!

Overall I quite like the game. It's not a showstopper but its pretty solid. It's marketing hype might propel it to the top of the charts but I predict it won't hold the number one position for that long.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2013 1:11 PM BST

Gerber GDC Hook Knife - Keychain Knife
Gerber GDC Hook Knife - Keychain Knife
Offered by UK Outdoor Store
Price: 11.40

4.0 out of 5 stars I just hope I never have to use it., 19 Aug 2013
This neat little knife has one main purpose. To cut through a seat belt if you ever get trapped in a car. The blade is a funny shape and apart from cutting a seat belt I am not sure how else to use it. Ideas anyone?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2014 8:03 PM GMT

Williamson Tea Large Elephant Grey - Earl Grey
Williamson Tea Large Elephant Grey - Earl Grey
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THE nicest Earl Grey tea I have tasted, 19 Aug 2013
I love Earl Grey and this one is delicious. Also if you research it then this tea seems to be the one used by the Royal Household no less! If its good enough for the Queen then its good enough for me.

Home Sweet Tin Coffee Canister
Home Sweet Tin Coffee Canister
Offered by ViaGenius
Price: 8.61

2.0 out of 5 stars useless, 19 Aug 2013
as the seal does not work. It looks nice though. However my coffee is in a sealed tin inside it.

Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls Book 1)
Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls Book 1)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A great fresh voice in fantasy, 19 Aug 2013
Ok we have to get it out of the way. This book follows the usual formula - a boy unaware of his great power saves the world from a an evil wizard. However there are a whole host of other interesting characters. His bonded for one. Bonded? Well you will have to read the books. He does not save the world alone, it is a group effort. There is a great magic system and the villain, for once, while he does very nasty things, is a bit of a comedy act which is a nice change. Unhinged, evil and funny is good.

This is the first in a set of 5 Kindle books. However there is a a volume 1.5 which I have yet to read which I guess is an off-shoot story. At this point volume 5 is yet to be published. It is due Sept/Oct this year. Mr Cooley writes very fast. There is none of this gap of years between books which you get with some other writers (mentioning no names, ok ok - ice and fire are clues). The story zooms along and is easy to read. It could almost be young adult fiction in that there is no sex and little to no swearing. I am currently on book four and I got here in less than two weeks. I now want to slow down so I can go straight to the final volume when it comes out.

One final point....its sooo cheap! What 2.60 or so? Cheap but classy. It costs less than a cup of Starbucks vanilla coffee and is better for your waistline. Trust me, you will love it.

Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD)
Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD)
Offered by RAREWAVES
Price: 31.22

2.0 out of 5 stars After all this wait I expected a better game than a reboot, 16 Aug 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Same music, well in Tristram anyway. Deckard Cain is still kicking about. He should be long dead by now. Same old mechanic click here, click there. You cant zoom in, well at least not with the scroll wheel. Apart from the snazzier graphics and better sound what is the difference between this and the two previous Diablo games? Not much so far. Dullsville - back to the far superior and far cheaper Torchlight II. No amount of hype will save this. I definitely will be cancelling my PS3 order. Blizzard, you blew it, big time.

Birkenstock Arizona 51061 Normal Width Unisex Clogs, Blue, EU 44
Birkenstock Arizona 51061 Normal Width Unisex Clogs, Blue, EU 44
Price: 39.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it's true these are the most comfortable shoes ever!, 14 May 2013
Last year I thought I had struck gold with my first ever pair of Crocs. However, as comfortable as they are they are really ugly. So after seeing Birkenstocks reviewed on QVC I took the plunge with these Arizona Birko-Flors. They are great, They stay on when you might think they would fall off having no backs. I have previously had to use Scholl inserts as my arches tend to fall in ordinary shoes. However the footbed on the Birkies is beautifully shaped and very supportive.

With the weather in the UK as rubbish as ever I am currently using them as slippers but once that sun shines I will be out there strutting my stuff in my Birkies. As regards sizing I followed other reviews and went down a size from what I would normally wear. I have 11.5 size feet and these are 44's and fit perfectly. These are my first pair of Birkies and they wont be my last.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4