Profile for Em > Reviews

Sex and Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll: The Life of Ian Dury
Sex and Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll: The Life of Ian Dury
by Richard Balls

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive, 16 Jan 2010
I really enjoyed this book, especially the insights that the author gained through actually meeting his subject.

Sympathetic, and written with a genuine interest in Dury, this autobiography gives us a portrait of a talented and sometimes difficult man that is both warm and truthful.

Read this one!

Ultimate Ears Super.Fi - Universal Fit Earphones - 5 Pro Extended Bass - Black
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi - Universal Fit Earphones - 5 Pro Extended Bass - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars good sound, rubbish fit, 7 Feb 2007
I read the reviews, I thought long and hard, I compared to the Shure ones and after due consideration I spent a LOT of my hard earned on these.

Maybe I've got strange ears, maybe I'm doing it wrong (though I am following the instructions in the handy booklet), I've pulled my poor ears every which way, but they just fall out. As soon as I get out onto the street and moving, oh what's that sound, ah yes, it's the world because my earphone has fallen out. Again.

I've tried every tip in all manner of combinations, not a thing will make thse fit in my ear and blimmin' well stay there.

In the nanosecond that I have them in my ear the sound is great, nice and punchy with no need for high volume, I've gone from volume at 12+ to around 6 or 7. So they are good on that, but I just wish I could get them to stay put.

Apart form that though, I spend a lot of my time pushing it back into my ear and that makes them sore.

All in all, for me, a waste of money, wish I hadn't bothered.

A Theory of Relativity
A Theory of Relativity
by Jacquelyn Mitchard

1.0 out of 5 stars Sentimentality at it's worst, 23 Feb 2005
This review is from: A Theory of Relativity (Paperback)
No stars - I only gave it one because I had to put something into the field.
I read this for my book group. Correction, I started it and had to skip read it. I absolutely hated this book - it's mawkishly sentimental, full of stereotyping and ultimately poorly written. There was no evidence of the 'humour' referred to in the press reviews. Bizarrely, this is referred to as the author at her best - her previous works are non-fiction, a completely different genre, the two cannot be compared.
The story is wholly simplistic despite the presence of lengthy blocks of american child custody law and I just couldn't believe in the characters, plot development or rough characterisation.
The ending - I won't give it away in case you really have to read it - but it was too neat and the very last bit is too arch for its own good.
If you really want to read it, get it from your library but save your money and don't buy it.
Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Jun 2003
I've waited ages for this book to go into paperback, and I read almost all of it in one go!
The writing is beautifully understated and pared down, there's not an unnecessary word in it.
The characters are finely drawn and realised, Takeo is a confused mixture of boy and almost adult, with all the mixed emotions that period of life can being, and there are real female characters with real emotions and stories. I really cared about the characters and their fates, and I love the fact that some of the women can really kick it!
And the story itself is gripping and exciting - there are no compromises just because it's aimed at a younger audience, blood and death, love and passion, duty and honour, revenge and morality - it's all there...and it keeps you reading, breathlessly hurtling towards the end and all the while trying not to rush so as to keep it with you as long as possible.
I loved this book and I can't wait till the next one arrives in August.
If you liked His Dark Materials and Melvin Burgess' Bloodline, then this is for you.