Profile for edzshed > Reviews

Seraphim Falls [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars the best western in a long time, 4 July 2011
This review is from: Seraphim Falls [DVD] (DVD)
loved it, this film has it all, I would not have considered putting either of the 2 actors in these roles, but they are magnificent, Pierce Brosnan especially. This is one of the best movies I've seen this year. There are nods to classic Clint films (you have to really pay attention to spot these) and I loved God and the devil.

Ace

Gone Tomorrow: (Jack Reacher 13)
Gone Tomorrow: (Jack Reacher 13)
by Lee Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 12 April 2010
I must admit I'd grown tired of Reacher's antics, how much stuff can happen to 1 guy?? That aside I figure I've read all the others so I might as well give it a go, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Told from the first person perspective, which we haven't had in a while so we only find things out as Reacher does, it reads more like a novel by Coben than Child. From page 1 you're involved as it literally starts on a train with Reacher spotting a terrorist and that's it then, you are well on the way.

Well worth a read, if you haven't read any of this series before it's probably quite a good one to start with.

Riders on the Storm: My Life with Jim Morrison and The Doors
Riders on the Storm: My Life with Jim Morrison and The Doors
by John Densmore

4.0 out of 5 stars The Door's ajar, take a peek inside, 12 April 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book, if you are thinking of reading this then the one thing worth noting is that this is not a book about Jim Morrison, of course he features heavily in it but John Densmore seems just as baffled (if not more so) by Morrison's behaviour as the rest of us.

I've had this book on my shelf for a couple of years, whereas I've always wanted to read it, I figured I'd have to be int he right frame of mind to read something this dark.....I couldn't have been more wrong, it's not particulary dark , Jim Morrisons death is covered in chapter 1 and this seems to get it out of the way so Densmore can tell his story. It works really well, the book is far easier to read than I thought it would be.

Presumed Guilty
Presumed Guilty
by Tess Gerritsen

3.0 out of 5 stars A step in the right direction, 11 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Presumed Guilty (Paperback)
Many reviewers have slated this as it is not up to the standard one expects from Tess G, however those reviewers clearly did not think to look when the book was 1st published. Those of you who are in the know will be aware that this is one of the books 1st printed early in her career and re printed more recently.

This book in comparrison to her other early work is a marked improvement, whilst it may not be on the same level as The Surgeon, it is clear when reading it that her narrative style is beginning to emerge. All in all I enjoyed it, I wasn't sure I would when I started the book, but by the end I found myself keen to find out who dunnit which is never a bad thing.

It's worth a go, but as I said her later work is far, far better.

Doctor Who: Prisoner Of The Daleks
Doctor Who: Prisoner Of The Daleks
by Trevor Baxendale

3.0 out of 5 stars Prisoner of the Daleks, not for long!!!, 3 Feb. 2010
The thing is I don't feel the title fits particularly well, by the time the Doctor becomes a Prisoner of the Daleks you will have read half the book, there are better Who books with prison escapades in them (try the BBC EDA series for example).

That said the author does bring the Doctor's character to life very well and there is an interesting scene with a Dalek prisoner, I can't help but think this could have been deeper and the story could have centred on the prisoner aspect more. It is worth a read though so give it a go.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2012 9:40 AM BST

Sea Lord
Sea Lord
by Bernard Cornwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 2 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Sea Lord (Paperback)
I have read all of Cornwell's historical novels, it's taken me a long time to get round to reading a thriller by him and now that I have I wish I had done so easily. The lead character is very easy to relate to (surprising given that he's a Lord) and the plot moves along at a fair old rate.

One thing that put me off initially was that clearly this is a book was going to be about boats, now I'm certainly not a boating man and have found books written by other authors thaty involve time at sea hard going and I'll admit this is oft down to my ignorance about all things nautical. I needn't have worried, Cornwell explains everything very clearly yet without coming accross as patronising, in fact he made the whole sailing life seem appealing.

I'd certainly recommend this book, and I also feel the need to read his other thrillers

Monsoon
Monsoon
by Wilbur Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
It's got to be said I did enjoy this book, initially I thought it was going to be similar to Birds of Prey, but no this is totally different and equallly enjoyable. Frankly it amazes me how Smith's books are so chunky yet one gets through them so quickly.

The depth of the characters and the setting is awe inspiring, no one writes like wilbur Smith, a true master.

I will say this though, don't read this if you haven't read Birds of Prey. It occurs to me that whilst I am reading the Courtney series in order of publication they would be just as enjoyable in chronological order.

The Burning Land (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 5) (Alfred the Great 5)
The Burning Land (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 5) (Alfred the Great 5)
by Bernard Cornwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Cornwell, 7 Dec. 2009
Nobody does historical fiction as well as Cornwell, I'm a big fan and this book was just what I thought it'd be, very enjoyable.

Christ The Lord: Out of Egypt (Christ the Lord 1)
Christ The Lord: Out of Egypt (Christ the Lord 1)
by Anne Rice
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick with what you know, 10 Nov. 2009
I feel somewhat disappointed, I have long since looked forwatrd to reading this, I have loved her previous work but this lacks her usual passion. I can't help but think that she should have stuck with vampires ghosts and the like. I certainly won't be reading the next one. If like me you love Rice's usual beautiful narrative and wonderfully inventive story lines then stay away from this book.

It is said that she did masses of research, but I don't feel this comes through here at all, especially if you compare it to books by the likes of Bernard Cornwell for example.

Loving Peter: My Life with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
Loving Peter: My Life with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
by Judy Cook

4.0 out of 5 stars D Frost and leave to Cook, 5 Nov. 2009
I found this to be far more enjoyable a read than the book by his first wife. It's well written, funny in parts and quite sad in others. I certainly felt it gives some insights into the man that was, also a colourful portrayal of Dud too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11