Profile for Josh McClurg > Reviews

Content by Josh McClurg

Josh McClurg

Rain Dogs
Rain Dogs

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the strangest albums you will ever hear..., 30 Mar 2005
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
This is currently one of my favourite albums. I discovered Tom Waits through a friend who told me that if I liked Bob Dylan (which I did) then I would like Tom Waits (which i do!). This album offers the perfect introduction into the weird and wonderful world of Mr Waits. From the opening track "Singapore" right through to the rousing "Anywhere I lay my head down" you will be blown away.
I must admit, that the first time I heard this album, I hated it. I couldn't understand what he was saying, and the music seemed a little too weird for me - indeed, even Waits calls his sound like a "junkyard opera". However, if you too find Waits voice a bit grating at first, I urge you to persevere. It's about to get a whole lot better. This is one of those albums that grows on you with every listen.
Things to look out for: The amazing intro to the title track "Rain Dogs", lines like "while making feet for childrens shoes" in "Singapore", and irresistably appealing instrumentation in all of the songs!