Profile for I. B. Brown > Reviews

Diary Of A Gay Priest: The Tightrope Walker
Diary Of A Gay Priest: The Tightrope Walker
by Malcolm Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every Ordinand and Bishop, 16 Oct. 2013
This book is written by a brave man who happens to be a priest, pastor, academic and creative. The book is sometimes light hearted and often serious and sad. It tracks the history of the Church of England's unhappy track record with homosexuality.
This book should be read by every bishop and on the compulsory reading list of every ordinand. My only niggle is the front cover illustration. It gives the impression that the content may be akin to a Carry On film. A Carry On Screenplay it is not. There is much in the book to be considered and prayed about. There is much the Church still needs to reach out to and fully respect to those you still find themselves on the edge of Society.

Of Two Minds: An Anthropologist Looks at American Psychiatry
Of Two Minds: An Anthropologist Looks at American Psychiatry
by T M Luhrmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Of Two Minds, 22 Jun. 2006
I purchased this book because of a cross ref. I had found in an online article. I was expecting something informative but dry. Not at all. The book is very well written, very readable and quite fascinating. I am a psychoanalytical psychotherapist and I trained in London in the mid 1990's. However I do not have a medical training. I came into the field through pastoral ministry. I had no idea when or how the splits in psychiatry evolved let alone the passions behind those spilts. This is a book which deals with the human condition in a humane way. It is detailed yet engaging. It is the sort of book that one keeps wanting to pick up.