Profile for avl06 > Reviews

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
by Gordon Dahlquist

1.0 out of 5 stars Glass (books) half empty, 20 Jan 2009
Rarely do I review things I don't like, but this has been so over rated...on paper exactly the sort of book I should love, this is simply badly, boringly written. Very disappointing. Avoid, life is too short.

The Raw Shark Texts
The Raw Shark Texts
by Steven Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars They are going to need a bigger book, 19 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Raw Shark Texts (Paperback)
This has split opinion here I see. I loved this book. To begin with I thought it was a little too influenced by the Matrix, a little too unbelievable. But it won me over because, while no doubt it is a very clever, post modern, hip text, it is also quite a moving depiction of love and grief.

Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet)
Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet)
by David Peace

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the North, 19 Jan 2009
No wonder this is a cult author. This book is a dispatch from hell. No heroes here, but plenty of corruption, conspiracy, perversion and gruesome killing. Written in bleakly poetic prose making this more of a waking nightmare than a hardboiled thriller. Not an easy book to follow, and the ending leaves plenty of questions, but it gets under your skin. Once I finished it, I ordered the other 3 in the quartet immediately.

Godard: Violin Concerto 2, Concerto Romantique, Scenes Poetiques
Godard: Violin Concerto 2, Concerto Romantique, Scenes Poetiques
Offered by Naxos Direct UK

3.0 out of 5 stars blandly romantic, 19 Jan 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This s very well played, but pretty bland romantic stuff, that only true completists need to trouble themselves with

Beethoven - Symphony No 3, \'Eroica\'
Beethoven - Symphony No 3, \'Eroica\'

3.0 out of 5 stars period version, 19 Jan 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of Beethoven greatest symphonies, here recorded with period instruments. If you want a period version, this must be high on the list.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2009 8:33 PM BST

Mahler - Symphony No 6 (LSO/Gergiev)
Mahler - Symphony No 6 (LSO/Gergiev)

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly Charged, 19 Jan 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hyper-fast Mahler, as you would expect from this cult conductor. A live recording, very well realised, but likely to divide opinion.

Third Reich Trilogy
Third Reich Trilogy
by Richard J. Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars On the other hand, 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: Third Reich Trilogy (Hardcover)
...if you have not fallen into the trap Pierre talks about below, the books themselves are very fine in design (although the cardboard sleeve they come in is a bit cheap), one for the library...I wish more books came out in "fine editions" for posterity, preferably after the pbk edition so you know you like the book and want to invest...

This is a modern classic of history.

Meš suš ķ eyrum viš spilum endalaust
Meš suš ķ eyrum viš spilum endalaust

5.0 out of 5 stars Stream it now, but make sure you buy it later!, 12 Jun 2008
This is being streamed in full by the band at their website and last.fm, seek it out!

It is fantastic: starting with the lively, tribal single Gobbledigook, the album seems to transition from poppy Takk style through to more ethereal, ambient, ( )-esque numbers. A great new album from a band everyone should hear, I can't wait to get my hands on it!

An End Has a Start
An End Has a Start
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Portentous, 27 July 2007
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
Amusing how the big Interpol v Editors debate culminates in this show down between their third and second albums respectively...and that I am disappointed by both! Editors have self consciously "gone big" - which is not something I mind in and of itself, heck, I've been to a few stadium gigs in my time, but, on this showing, "going big" means too many mid-tempo, dreary, samey, portentous "hymns for the common man". The dead hand of Coldplay has touched this CD. I miss the rattling post punk adrenaline of their first album. Some good moments, but I find it hard to listen to all the way through.

Our Love To Admire
Our Love To Admire
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Resting their Chemistry?, 26 July 2007
This review is from: Our Love To Admire (Audio CD)
I'd love to admire this, but after repeated listens, it just hasn't lived up to my admittedly extremely high expectations. Their first two albums grabbed me at the first listen with their dark atmosphere, chiseled guitar lines and enigmatic lyrics. This one - well there are good songs on here, Heinrich Manouever, No I in Threesome, Rest My Chemistry, Wrecking Ball are my favourites - but as a whole it doesn't convince in the same way. Some of the tracks just don't take wing. Worth buying, but make sure you have the first albums.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9