Profile for AnnPan > Reviews

Content by AnnPan

AnnPan (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dreamland Sleepwell 6986 Dual Control Heated Pure Cotton Quilted Fully Fitted Mattress Cover
Offered by Co-operative Independent Living
Price: 75.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great heating blanket - the best I've ever used, 23 Nov 2012
In general these are very good heating blankets. They are generously sized for deep mattresses, although I haven't actually washed on yet so I can't tell you whether they shrink or not. Ours is on a double bed with a medium thick mattress and so it is a bit big, so I have kept the old cotton quilted mattress protector on underneath this one to bulk the mattress up a bit and make it fit better. But it means you can get the heating wires pretty much all the way down to the bottom of the bed which is great.

The fast (6) heat-up setting is remarkably quick - if you switch it on while you are in bed (which you aren't meant to, of course) you can actually feel it warming up. The other settings 1-5 are all safe to sleep on. With the higher settings you are spared from waking up in a burning hot bed because you can set the timer to turn your blanket off after an hour. For low settings that you want on all night you can set the timer to 8 or 9 hours (can't remember which) and then you don't have to remember to turn it off when you get up in the morning. (So there are only two timed settings - 1 hour or all night.) If the blanket timer switches off in the night a bright blue flashing light comes on to remind you to turn the blanket off. I keep my controller tucked under my pillow (for ease of reach in the night) so that covers the light and it doesn't bother me. But if you had it hanging out of the bed be warned that it is very bright in the dark. Also, the on-off switch is on the back of the controller rather than with the other settings on top. Not an issue really but you should know, and it is designed in such a way that you couldn't turn it off or on by accident.

The cover is a nice percale cotton, but the wadding in the quilting is polyester, so even without the heating element switched on they are much hotter to sleep on than our previous cotton/kapok mattress protector. I suspect they might be a bit sweaty to sleep on in summer and we may have to switch to a fully cotton mattress protector.

There is no such thing as total perfection in household products in my experience but these come pretty close!

Fly London Women's MYND Boots Black Schwarz (black 002) Size: 39
Fly London Women's MYND Boots Black Schwarz (black 002) Size: 39
Offered by Shmooz
Price: 105.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Love them really, but tricky to buy without trying on...., 23 Nov 2012
This was the third pair I bought, all the same size, in order to get the right fit. I love Fly boots; my feet are wide at the toe end and narrow at the heel and they fit very comfortably in general. I have several pairs of Fly boots and shoes, all in size 6, so I bought these in a 6 too. But the first pair had a very tight right foot, and the second pair had a very tight left foot. Finally I got a pair where both fit. That's the trouble with Fly - you really need to try them on and ask for another pair to try until you get the perfect fit because they vary so much.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 2:26 AM BST

Gilda  "Bean Bag, Beans Polystyrene Toy & Pet Bed Refill 3 Cubic Feet"
Gilda "Bean Bag, Beans Polystyrene Toy & Pet Bed Refill 3 Cubic Feet"
Offered by Gilda Ltd
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and just what I needed. Look out for the ties tho!, 23 Nov 2012
I had two old bean bags that had lost their oomph and this was just what I needed to reinflate them. It is quite hard to estimate how much to buy - this was masses for my purposes, but the price was good so it didn't matter. I now have a very happy and comfortable dog.

I did have an issue with the packaging, though. The plastic bag containing the beads is sealed with a cable tie that was very hard to open. I didn't want to risk trying to cut it open and cutting the bag so that all the beads came out so I had to prise the tail out of the loop rather painfully using just my nails. I managed it in the end without losing any beads and then my teenage boys spotted me and rushed over and shoved their hands in the bag...... several days later we were still finding little statically-charged beads in the most extraordinary places. Keep away from children unless you enjoy chasing the beads!

Lily's Kitchen Beef, Potato and Vegetable Dinner for Dogs 400g (Pack of 6)
Lily's Kitchen Beef, Potato and Vegetable Dinner for Dogs 400g (Pack of 6)
Price: 11.90

5.0 out of 5 stars yummy, 23 Nov 2012
No - I didn't eat it myself but unlike most dog food it actually smells good and my dog loves it.

Insight Flexi Map: Barbados (Insight Flexi Maps)
Insight Flexi Map: Barbados (Insight Flexi Maps)
by Apa
Edition: Map

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great map but a super format, 23 Nov 2012
We ended up using a tourist map given out free on the island when we got there as it was much better. Roadsigns in Barbados are a bit like hen's teeth on occasion and a good map is vital. This one was missing the detail that we needed. On the other hand, the flexi map format is great - doesn't mind soggy beach bags or being unfolded and refolded frequently. Just a pity that the map itself was so poor.

Lonely Planet Barbados: Chapter from Caribbean Islands Travel Guide
Lonely Planet Barbados: Chapter from Caribbean Islands Travel Guide
Price: 1.54

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 23 Nov 2012
Poor value - it's just a chapter lifted from another book as you can see from the cover. We bought the 1994 version of the Eastern Caribbean book when we first went to Barbados and the section was pretty good. This updated version seemed poor by comparison. I read through it before we left, it didn't mention most of the things and places I was trying to find out about and I wish I hadn't bought it.

Gabor Women's Jasper Leather Black Ankle Boots 52.723.57 6.5 UK
Gabor Women's Jasper Leather Black Ankle Boots 52.723.57 6.5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars comfy and flattering, 23 Nov 2012
I already owned a pair of these in brown and liked them so much that I bought them in black too. They are great with jeans, especially skinny jeans, the heel is a comfortable height for walking and the heel is slightly Cuban in feel which is flattering. The plait detail is nice and they seem nicely made as usual with Gabor. I bought half a size bigger than I normally wear as the toe is narrow and they are more comfortable. I have wide feet and these are perfect.

Granite Grey Sheepskin Steering Wheel Cover
Granite Grey Sheepskin Steering Wheel Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars No more frozen fingers!, 23 Feb 2012
My thoughtful son gave me this for Christmas because I complained about the steering wheel on our new Lexus - I kept getting numb white fingers because my hands were so cold on the hard narrow wheel. This has been brilliant - it fits perfectly, both on this wheel and on the one in my husband's old BMW soft top which is bigger. Both are quite narrow wheels so the sheepskin doesn't make them too fat to hold. Best Christmas present this year - no more white fingers!

Rapid Eyewear Breeze Polarised Sport Sunglasses with Interchangeable Lenses - White
Price: 42.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sports sunglasses for a wide range of faces and activities, 23 Feb 2012
I bought these for my son who was going on a cricket tour with his school to South Africa. Despite being over 6'1" he has a small head and thin face and it isn't always easy to get sunglasses with an adult fit that are comfortable, but these were. He was really delighted with them, and used the mirror lens as it was very hot and sunny. He said the glasses were brilliant - very comfy and did a good job. They are ventilated too, which really helps to stop them from steaming up. He hasn't tried changing the lenses over so I can't vouch for how easy that is to do and how sturdy these glasses are in the long term, but they were absolutely perfect for his needs, and I hope will last him for several seasons.

We bought the glasses from Rapid Eyewear on Amazon who are both the supplier and manufacturer, and they sent them out very quickly. They were extremely good value - I really didn't want to spend 120-150 on sports sunglasses for my 16 year old, but these were every bit as good as much more expensive glasses. They fit a wide range of faces from small to large, offer a full range of protection options from yellow lenses for low light with glare, polarised lenses and high protection mirrored lenses for very bright light, appear to be optically good quality and even come with a decent stiff case to protect them rather than just a cloth bag. All in all we were absolutely delighted with these.

Dexter - Season 1 (Alternative Packaging) [DVD]
Dexter - Season 1 (Alternative Packaging) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael C. Hall
Price: 10.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding and addictive, 11 Oct 2011
I only discovered Dexter in Series 4 on TV - but it was so good and there was so much interesting background stuff being referred to that I decided to buy this (and 2 and 3) and watch it from the start. Michael C. Hall is outstanding in his portrayal of such a complex and conflicted character and S1 is a cracker. The ensemble cast is superb, the dark humour delicious, the gore suitably gory without being overdone and the plots gripping. One of the best TV series I've watched in a long time, but impossible to stop at just one episode when you have the boxed series. Not for the squeamish! Having watched every episode ever made, and now waiting impatiently for S6 to start in the UK, I've moved on to Six Feet Under, also starring MCH and just as dark, humourous and riveting in a different way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6