Profile for C. McLean > Reviews

Content by C. McLean

C. McLean "purplehaze" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
PARASOL BASE STAND WEIGHTS FOR BANANA HANGING AND CANTILEVER UMBRELLA PARASOLS
PARASOL BASE STAND WEIGHTS FOR BANANA HANGING AND CANTILEVER UMBRELLA PARASOLS
Offered by Castmaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and good looking, 7 Aug 2013
I was looking for weights for my new cantilever parasol and found these. They feel less dangerous to carry around and leave around with children in the garden than concrete paving slabs - they also look better. They are much cheaper than granite too.
The weights fit my parasol well, and are easy to carry around as they have a built in handle. When empty they are very light and will be easy to put away in the shed.
Very pleased with my purchase - it's not relaxing wondering if the parasol will blow over on lunch, and these sorted it out completely. In fact so far I've only used 2 of them.
Would definitely recommend.

Aluminium Cantilever Parasol brown 2.7 m Diameter with Protective Cover
Aluminium Cantilever Parasol brown 2.7 m Diameter with Protective Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my garden is accessible in the heat!, 7 Aug 2013
I bought this as on the days of sun we actually do get, my garden was too hot to sit in. I wanted to recreate tree shade, and chose this umbrella as it was a bit smaller than the usual 3m diameter, but still large enough to have a picnic blanket underneath or a table (for 6 in our case). I was considering a 'sail' but didn't want the hassle of fitting bolts in walls. I also wanted to be able to move it around so there was always a big area of shade.
I like the colour; it is a pleasant brown, which blends in well (I think it will keep clean looking longer than cream, and I felt that 'green' or 'terracotta' could actually have many varieties, some not so natural looking)
It is pretty heavy and unwieldy if you want to move it around - I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't up for a bit of lifting, although if it was going to be left in one spot it wouldn't be a problem.
In the end I bought weights for it (from Amazon) which are made of plastic and fill with water. They feel less dangerous to carry around and leave around with children in the garden than concrete paving slabs - they also look better. It was an extra expense but adds to the experience of using the umbrella - it isn't relaxing eating while wondering if the umbrella is about to blow over!! There are holes which would enable you to bolt it to decking if that's your plan.
The parasol seems sturdy enough and it's positioning is versatile, so it can be adjusted as the sun gradually creeps overhead.
The cover is adequate for keeping the parasol clean, but not at all rainproof - if leaving the parasol outside I would recommend buying a rainproof cover - I did, and it's been invaluable this summer of scorching sun and torrential rain.

New first2savvv semi-hard blue camera case for SAMSUNG ST150F WB30F DV150F DV151F SONY DSC-WX9 DSC-WX5 DSC-WX150 DSC-W830 DSC-W810 & Canon PowerShot A1400 IXUS 135 IXUS 132 IXUS 255 HS PowerShot A2500 IS PowerShot A3500 IS PowerShot A2600&Nikon COOLPIX S6700 COOLPIX S6800 COOLPIX L29 COOLPIX L30 COOLPIX S2800 COOLPIX S3600 COOLPIX S5300 & panasonic DMC-SZ8EB-K
Offered by UK-FIRST2SAVVV

Belkin 1.5m RJ45 Male to Male Cat5e Snagless Patch Cable - Grey
Belkin 1.5m RJ45 Male to Male Cat5e Snagless Patch Cable - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've found, 16 Nov 2012
As long as 1.5m is long enough this is the best retractable cable I've used so far. Other cables are very thin and flat, with means you have to concentrate when they wind up in case they get snagged, fold over and then don't work. Sooner rather than later this always happens.
The other thing which is great so far is that the RJ45 plugs at either end are pretty robust - which is important if you're plugging in and unplugging regularly. On previous (cheaper) versions the little tags have broken off.
I'd always pay a bit more and get this one now.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 26 Nov 2011
I researched a lot before buying this and am so glad I got it instead of a normal 'bed-table' as it has so many more uses.
It is sturdy enough, but very light. The legs adjust easily and enable me to type sitting or lying down in bed. When fully extended as in the photo the table is not very tall (you wouldn't get it over your knees when on the sofa) but does reach to bedside height, so makes for an extra surface to keep work things on if necessary.
I have yet to use it on the sofa, but am sure it will work, and am planning to use it with my netbook even at the kitchen table to have the netbook at a better height for my neck.
With a netbook there is enough room for my mini mouse next to it if necessary, but I think a laptop wouldn't leave enough room for one.
The cooling fans are great for longer stints of work - really make a difference - I just keep the wires clipped up when I'm not using them.
Can be used as a breakfast table - just add tray or placemat - and to write on - just add a hard surface to cover the small fan holes.

Polycotton Hollowfibre Duvet/Quilt, 4.5 Tog, Single
Polycotton Hollowfibre Duvet/Quilt, 4.5 Tog, Single
Offered by Linens Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for the price, 6 May 2010
I bought this for my son as he needed to graduate from a toddler duvet to a full size one. I thought I'd start with a cheap one to see if it was good enough on the basis that I could replace it if it wasn't! So far so good - the duvet is about right for temperature and although it doesn't feel fluffy and luxurious is plenty comfy enough for a 6 year old.
Update 1 month later - has now fluffed up a bit of it's own accord!

Judge Milk Frother/Sauce Pot
Judge Milk Frother/Sauce Pot
Offered by Harts Of Stur

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 6 May 2010
I bought this when my Bodum glass frother broke and decided to get a frother which wouldn't crack. I usually use it on the hob so it didn't matter if it was metal. It froths the milk well. My only criticism is that the lid gets very hot when frothing hot milk and I have to hold it with a tea towel. It might have been better to have the lid plastic - but it wouldn't look so nice! I am looking forward to making milkshakes and the jug part is definitely nice enough to bring to the table with gravy in if you want to make/warm up gravy in it and take straight to the table on those occasions when a separate sauce boat is just too much effort!

Extra Value Twin Pack - 7dayshop Battery Tester Suitable for AA, AAA, C, D, 9 Volt Batteries and All Button Cell and Watch Batteries

5.0 out of 5 stars Very small does the job, 2 April 2010
This is great to have in a kitchen drawer - takes up very little space and does what it says. You do have to read the instructions to know which dial to read for which batteries but after that it is very straightforward and a good price.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit rough and ready but does the job, 2 April 2010
I am pleased with this kettle bell. It is difficult to buy them online as you can't see how the handle will feel etc. It is a very basic version, with no protection on the bottom for your flooring (I've put some sticky felt on the bottom) and the handle could be more comfortable/wider when doing exercises with a 2 hand grip.
For what I currently do it's great and a good one to get as a first bell so that you don't invest too much money, if I'm still doing exercises with bells in a year I may get an upgrade (then again I may need a heavier one anyway!)

Siku - 1:87 Scale - Low Loader With John Deere Tractors
Siku - 1:87 Scale - Low Loader With John Deere Tractors

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy lots of fun, 2 April 2010
I bought this for my 2.5 year old who is mad on tractors and transporters - it was a winner. Although small and also suitable for older children this is sturdy enough for a toddler - the only thing to watch out for is that the weather covers come off the tractors come off and easily get lost. The tractors look great without them though so it's not really a problem.
A great little toy.