Profile for Shug > Reviews

Dvd ~ Gillian Anderson
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA
Price: 15.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Out today and I can't wait, 20 Feb 2006
This review is from: Bleak House [DVD] (DVD)
I've just finished reading the book (two days ago) and as I try to never watch a TV of film adaptation of something I want to read before I've read it I deliberately avoided this adaptation. Oh how painful that was and oh how difficult it was avoiding hearing discussion about the episodes, or learning about the plot on the Beeb website. And somehow - like Terry and Bob in the Likely Lads - I succeeded. However unlike the match for them, the TV adaptation wasn't cancelled - and I can now watch Bleak House. Oh joys unbounded. The book was just great (took me absolutely ages to read mind). I've got very strong visualisation of the characters - how will they live up to my expectations? Esther, Ada and lady Dedlock. Is Mr Skimpole as irritating and infuriating as Dickens intended, and so on and so on. So many questions to be answered.
If it anything nearly as faithful to the book as others suggest, and as beautifully filmed then I can only give it top marks. Maybe I'll come back after watching it and share my thoughts further.

No CV
No CV
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ...but I love it, 2 Aug 2005
This review is from: No CV (Audio CD)
so how did I come to buy this...I had to get my order over the no postage limit so had to buy something and on a complete impulse (havig read a review) I bought this.
Well...erm..what can I say. Listening to this is like falling into a parallel universe where all music over the last 40 years (even bits of George Harrison somewhere) has got all mixed up. My kids 9 & 13 love bits of it, I love all of it (I think). For us of a certain age it seems to me to hang together a bit like what we used to call concept albums - except I don't think this is one. The nearest I can get, and I don't know that much about - hey - the music, is the jumble of brilliant, tunes that Genesis gave us in The Lamb Lies Down, not all instantly accessible, but listen through. I'm not saying it's anything really like TLLD...I'm just saying it's weird, fantastic, well I don' know. If you listen to this you'll all find yourselves half way through the first track thinking 'ah - isn't this like Green Day', then half way through you think you're listening to Howard Jones. Listen - don't be put off by my ancient references - it's great - Play Up My Computer.

Touching The Void [DVD] [2003]
Touching The Void [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Simon Yates
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA
Price: 14.52

5.0 out of 5 stars watch...and think, 9 Dec 2004
about the human capacity to withstand what will seem to you like some of the most unbelievable conditions, to make the hardest decision you can ever imagine, and to keep going despite everything. I watched this film without knowing anything about it's background. It is the only film I have ever watched again, and again, and I will watch and think about these two guys - Joe and Simon, whenever I doubt whether what I'm doing is worth the candle or not. Watch this film. It is beautiful and awesome.

French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
by Mireille Guiliano

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't give it 5 stars..yet, 27 Nov 2004
If this book is anything like what i've already read about it then it will be the one we all want - forget Atkins, forget South Beach - after all they pander to the US market. This is what we want. I love french france, french cooking and french ladies - but as the other one says to me - how dooo they do it. Well my own good lady will be getting this for her Christmas pressie and I'll be in there too. Bon chance.