Profile for C. Gordon > Reviews

The Cartoonist's Workbook: Drawing, Spelling, Writing Gags
The Cartoonist's Workbook: Drawing, Spelling, Writing Gags
by Robin Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Good even for old hands..., 26 Nov. 2003
I'd like to think I'm a fairly accomplished cartoonist, but still this book taught me a new way of drawing. As a result, my drawings have become less stilted, and I can draw them quicker.
For the beginner who wants to draw cartoons, but perhaps feels they have little talent, this book is a godsend. The 'Keyhole Ken' method that the author uses is one of the easiest, most adaptable methods I have seen in any book. I use it to a fairly large degree, and my drawings still look like my drawings, not merely clones of the author's work, as many 'how-to' cartoon books can induce.
Just buy it- whether for yourself, or someone else, no matter what their (or your) age is. Get drawing!

McAfee SpamKiller 5.0
McAfee SpamKiller 5.0

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 26 Nov. 2003
This review is from: McAfee SpamKiller 5.0 (CD-ROM)
This program does take a bit of tweaking, especially if you have several accounts, but overall, it gets rid of the total rubbish that clogs my inbox daily, pretty effectively.
As my email address is on the web, spiders have harvested it and now I'm prey to every spammer that ever existed. This program has cut down the rubbish no end, which means can get at the mail I really want without having to sift through all the rubbish first.
Take the time to set this one up and it'll do its job pretty effectively. Cheap at twice the price for what it can do for you....

Crossroads Of Twilight: Book 10 of the Wheel of Time
Crossroads Of Twilight: Book 10 of the Wheel of Time
by Robert Jordan

2.0 out of 5 stars Speed of a snail..., 1 July 2003
It is unfortunate that I can only give this book a couple of stars. The writing deserves more. But sadly, the plot doesn't.
Jordan seems to be attempting to pull together the tangled web he has woven over the course of the previous two books, but seems to be getting bogged down with the politics of nations, Aes Sedai and everyone and everything else in between. In other words, this book is s..l..o..w.
I struggled to finish it. What has happened to mydraal, trollocs (a personal favourite of mine - always guaranteed trouble) et al? More action now!
Most of the events at the beginning of the book concern everyone else's actions during Rand's 'clean-up' at the end of book nine. Mr Jordan- I don't want several hundred pages of description of Elayne's enemies as they plot to take the throne. I don't wan't to hear detailed descriptions of 'sprawling campsites' time and time again. I want battles, struggles with the one power, conflict with the Seanchan and more besides!
I have heard that the series will probably run to twelve books, and I will doubtless read the saga until it's conclusion. (I've come this far, I want to know how it all ends). I just hope that the author hasn't started running out of steam (possibly), or that the tangled web I mentioned earlier hasn't become so knotted that it will take another six books of overly verbose prose to straighten it all out.
Like I said at the beginning though...he does put his sentences together well.

Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
Offered by APE-GAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to it's nightmarish best..., 2 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 (PS2) (Video Game)
This, the third game in the Silent hill series, adds to the story from the first game. For those who remember the oppressive, unsettling soundtrack of the first game, then were a little disappointed by it's (graphically better) sequel, never fear- it's back to it's nightmarish best.
Think resident evil for the thinking gamer. Only scary.
For those who have never played the earlier games, don't worry, the plot's not that important to the Silent Hill experience anyway. What the game has in spades is ATMOSPHERE. The graphics are suitably demonic (very much so at times...), but it's the soundtrack that is the real killer. Ranging from almost overwhelming silence, with a few shuffles, creaks, sobs and whispering coming from unknown sources in the darkness, to an intensely oppresive industrial racket that gets under your (already thoroughly creeped-out) flesh, and freaks you out to a point of fear that you would never believe is possible from a game.
The game starts with less of the 'slow-burn' feel of it's predecessors, and puts your character in a particularly unpleasant amusement park from the off. The designers have created their usual weirdo collection of monsters and freaks, all of whom seem to be determined to kill your character in the foulest of ways. For those who like the riddle or action sequences a little easier or harder, both of these are adjustable independently of each other, so no-one should find it either too hard or too easy.
In short, buy it. It's one of those must-have games that make a PS2 truly worth having. If they could make a horror film as unsettling as this, someone would probably ban it. Play it at night, at home alone, with the lights out, THEN tell me you're not afraid... and remember-it's only a game...

The Terminator (Special Edition) [DVD] [1984]
The Terminator (Special Edition) [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest action film ever?, 5 May 2003
Arnie had his finest moment playing the killing machine in this film. Hardly any lines (none of his dodgy acting therefore), a face like stone, and a leather jacket.
This film far outshines it's sequel, with a dark, oppressive feel throughout. The terminator is simply a killing machine, with none of the naff 'I'm a friendly robot, I can be your best friend' rubbish that's in the second film.(Okay, not a line from the film, but the misguided humour in T2 is pretty off-target).
Some of the effects are dated by today's standards, but as a film it holds up well thanks to its excellent plot, stirling performances by the principal actors, and it's marvelously excessive violence.
Don't sit there thinking about it, BUY IT NOW!

They Live [DVD] [1989]
They Live [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Roddy Piper
Offered by Disc-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS is your God, 9 Jan. 2003
This review is from: They Live [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
This film is an undiscovered gem- I've seen it turn up more than once in one of those '20 films you've never heard of, but must see' type of things.
Following a drifter looking for work, we have the 'truth' behind society slowly revealed to us through his eyes(Quite literally, as it happens). We are shown a world of subliminal messages hidden behind every advertising hoarding 'Marry and reproduce', for instance, every magazine and book page carries a hidden motto: 'Obey' 'Consume' - the list goes ever on (The message on the dollar bill - 'This is your God' is my particular favourite...). A 'ruling order' is revealed to be controlling us all.
The concept of aliens living among us is not a new one within Science Fiction, but Carpenter has worked his magic on it to produce a film that is at times funny, shocking, weird, thoughtful and insightful. I could probably add more to that list if I tried, but you get the idea. This film is, in my opinion, Carpenter's finest hour.
Add to all this the greatest bare-knuckle punch-up in cinematic history (and possibly one of the longest), and you've got pure movie magic- an essential buy. Modern imitators in this genre don't even come close.

The Getaway (PS2)
The Getaway (PS2)
Offered by trguk

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but fantastic!, 6 Jan. 2003
This review is from: The Getaway (PS2) (Video Game)
Okay, so this game doesn't have the 'pick up and play' attraction of the recent Grand Theft Auto games, but it's not a clone of those games, and isn't trying to be. The whole game structure is far more complex, playing first as ex-con Mark Hammond, you are dragged back into a life of crime against your will by a gangland boss, then playing the second half of the game as DC Frank Carter, the same parts of the story are shown from entirely new angles. Very nicely done, it has to be said, and the developers have clearly worked hard to ensure against repetition.
The big flaw is possibly the control system. On foot, the controls are awkward (though perseverance is rewarded), and the lack of ability to look behind whilst driving is a real annoyance. That said, I persevered, and now I can cause chaos with the best of them.
There have been one or two comments about the language. Personally, I love it- it's hilarious. Imagine lock, stock and two smoking barrels type swearing and violence and you'll be on the right track. One reviewer claimed she was shocked by the language that her children had to listen to. Remember- this game has an 18-certificate for a reason, not just to look pretty on the box. You see that little red circle with '18' in the middle of it on a box, you can be certain there's something offensive in there. Adults only - don't moan when you find it's not Bambi.
Buy it- it's flaws are overshadowed by it's brilliance.

Stargate Sg-1: The Morpheus Factor
Stargate Sg-1: The Morpheus Factor
by Ashley McConnell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 6 Jan. 2003
Don't get me wrong here - don't assume I'm some sort of 'Anti SG-1' vigilante - I'm not, I absolutely love the show. With this book I was expecting more of the same, but was sorely disappointed. The plot is convoluted, the characters don't seem true to themselves, and to be honest, it's all a bit silly. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there's something missing here.
This book just didn't work for me, I'm afraid.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT? You haven't already bought it? Why not?, 15 Nov. 2002
If you've ever played GTA III, then you've probably already got this. If you haven't, then let me try and convince you to get it...
The game is huge. And I mean huge with a capital HU. You can follow the various missions, gaining $$$ to buy property, and work towards completing the game, causing mayhem as you go, or you can work off stress by creating havoc around Vice city. Carjacking, mugging, robbery, murder, assault and battery- do it all to the pathetic cyber-citizens of the town. Drive like a maniac, ride like a hooligan, take a flight around the city in your helicopter, do whatever the hell you like. Then do a mission, then cause some more mayhem. That's the beauty of this game: the missions are there when you want them, but you don't have to do them if you don't want to. There's usually several different tasks to be done at any one time, so if you're a little stuck, go try a different one and come back later and try it again.
Add an all- star cast doing the voices (Ray Liotta, Burt Reynolds, Dennis Hopper, Debbie Harry, Lee Majors and Jenna Jameson among others), and you've got a riot of a game. Buy it. Buy it NOW. Then spend the following few weeks wondering where all those lost hours went.
I just hope they've got another sequel in the pipeline.
Long live GTA!

State of Emergency (PS2)
State of Emergency (PS2)
Offered by CDandVinyl

4.0 out of 5 stars A real riot- for a while anyway..., 1 May 2002
I knew this was due for release, and when someone I knew told me it was out, I thought, 'what the hell', and splashed the cash. It's fun. Let's be honest, like GTA3, causing mayhem without actually doing real harm to anyone in the real world is a right laugh. Maiming, shooting, beating the living daylights out of computer-generated folks is a great stress-reliever. Break those windows. Torch those cars. In Kaos mode, you can create havoc with no real set goals for a limited-time period (an unlimited mode becomes available once it's unlocked thru play.)The main body of the game, 'Revolution', involves you taking on the role of a freedom fighter working with an organisation out to release society from the clutches of a fascist corporation. The missions themselves involve killing certain key persons, collecting items, blowing stuff up, escorting important allies, but are mainly variations on a theme. And some of the missions are HARD. Make no mistake, this isn't a complete-in-a-day type game. Perseverance is the key here. The control system can be a little awkward too, just to add to the fun... However, if you're easily frustrated, you'll soon grow disheartened and give it up, or if you dislike repetition, you'll get bored sooner or later. In either case, the game will eventually be a dust-gatherer, unlike it's more (in)famous stablemate GTA3, which has a life of months? Years?
All in all, it's a good game, but not quite the classic that it could have been. 5/5 for the idea. 5/5 for the violence and mayhem. 5/5 for stress relief. 4/5 in total though, because of it's faults. I still say buy it though....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6