Profile for June Jones > Reviews

Content by June Jones

June Jones "book addict" (whitworth lancs)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
My Story
My Story
by Bruno Tonioli

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED IT, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
I loved this book as much as I love watching Bruno on Strictly.
He's exuberant, funny, outrageous and even, at times, self-deprecating, - although Bruno might not have recognised that last description!!!

I'm a HUGE Strictly Fan, and had already read and enjoyed Len and Craig's books, so Bruno was my hat trick completed!!! He didn't disappoint on any level.

The story was as fantastic and fascinating as the man himself, and was immensely readable.

I can only say if he ever fancies downing a few drinks with a 60 year old female fan, then please can he bring Craig and Len with him - they'd obviously be a hoot!

The Politically Incorrect Lexicon
The Politically Incorrect Lexicon
by Dr. Peter Mullen

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness Me!!! I'm still laughing as I'm reading!, 28 Jun. 2012
I'd read this review in The Daily Mail and ordered this book on the spot. It arrived yesterday and I cannot put it down! Dr Mullen debunks 'politically correct' nonsense whilst resurrecting common sense language with so much humour I keep laughing out loud!!!! I've never been so happy whilst on sick leave!!!

A Man Of The Church who is Truly OF The Church and The Christian Faith without any Prejudice or Fear of offending the'Politically Correct' Culture that makes politicians and other 'Diversity' Groups too afraid to speak out.

I love this guy - I advise this book to be required reading in ALL schools!!!

I'm going to recommend this book far and wide - I'm keeping MY copy so I can refer to it constantly!

What's Tha Up to Nah?: More Memories of a Sheffield Bobby
What's Tha Up to Nah?: More Memories of a Sheffield Bobby
by Martyn Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!!!, 21 Feb. 2012
I loved this as much as the last one - having read it, laughed, groaned, cried and even sometimes cheered, throughout, I then decided to share both books with a friend.

She in turn passed them onto her Mother, who had lived in the area of Sheffield Martyn patrolled when she was a young married woman.

She was entranced revisiting the 'old' Sheffield portrayed by this marvellous raconteur.

I can only hope he has enough tales left to tell for another book.

What's Tha Up To?: Memories of a Yorkshire Bobby
What's Tha Up To?: Memories of a Yorkshire Bobby
by Martyn Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars How Good Is This Book?, 6 Dec. 2011
How Good Is This Book? - more than good enough for me to be ordering his next one!

Old Fashioned Policing of the kind those of us of a certain age will remember well.
Martyn delivered his tales with humour, sensitivity, and he kept me interested from start to finish. I really didn't want to put it down.

This is the kind of Police Officer needed - not form-filling Politically Correct drones that our Politicians seem to want.

I totally understood Martyn wanting to stay at the grass roots of policing, and admire him for doing so.

Just keep writing Martyn, you're up there with the best.

The Vet: my wild and wonderful friends
The Vet: my wild and wonderful friends
by Luke Gamble

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Book, 28 Nov. 2011
I loved every minute of this book. Luke Gamble is obviously a total one-off - who else could take you from Samos, to The Sahara Desert for a 152mile run, then back home to relate the tale of glueing a mouse to his fingers?

This was unputdownable and I very much hope there are more books to follow - Luke Gamble is an inspiration to all aspiring Vets out there.

All Teachers Great and Small: A memoir of lessons and life in the Yorkshire Dales
by Andy Seed

5.0 out of 5 stars A LOVELY READ, 28 Sept. 2011
I enjoyed this book from start to finish.

Andy's obvious love of both teaching and the Yorkshire Dales shone through and I became engrossed in his own story and the tales of school life.

His characterisations were wonderful and the school trip had me half wishing I had actually been there and then delighted that I wasn't!!!

The description of the odious school dinners certainly struck a chord!

All that's left for me to say is - when will we see another book Andy?

Just the Job, Lad
Just the Job, Lad
by Mike Pannett

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST THE BOOK LAD!, 3 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Just the Job, Lad (Paperback)
Having read Mike Pannett's previous books, I knew I'd enjoy this one just as much.

His descriptions of Country Policing, plus his experiences in The Met are forthright, practical, entertaining and informative.

Mixed with a large slice of humour and his ability to bring events, characters and the North Yorkshire Countryside alive in print there's nothing not to like and enjoy.

Let's hope there's more to come

Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1)
Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1)
by Malcolm D. Welshman

5.0 out of 5 stars TERRY WAS RIGHT!, 3 Aug. 2011
Terry Wogan wrote 'It's fun and should bring a smile to your face' - Well, it was and it did.

A book full of smiles, Malcolm wrote a humour filled, tongue firmly in cheek, book - describing both animals and owners colourfully.

It was one of those books you don't want to put down, but nor do you want to get to the end, because then there's no more to read.

This book left me wanting more from Mr Welshman's pen!

Thank you for the entertainment.

Witness (later issued as Evil Relations): The Story of David Smith, Chief Prosecution Witness in the Moors Murders Case
by David Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars a powerful book, 13 July 2011
This book held my attention from start to finish.
The Horrors of these crimes are much documented but reading David's Story gave me a previously unknown insight into that terrible time and the ongoing impact on David's life - the families of the victims must re-live their agonies each and every day, and it would be a natural reaction to believe David Smith was involved in some way. His courage at coming forward and going to court had a high price - but as Mary's Father said, had he not done so, Mary could easily have been one of many future victims.
It certainly gave me confirmation that the 'in thrall' girlfriend image that Hindley liked to project wasn't ever the case.

The misguided supporters of Hindley especially should read this book.
David was no angel, but he helped to bring an end to this couple's horrific reign.

Please Sir!
Please Sir!
by Jack Sheffield

5.0 out of 5 stars I SAID IT WOULD BE WORTH WAITING FOR....., 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Please Sir! (Paperback)
.....and it so was!!!

Once more Jack Sheffield has produced a total gem of a book. I can submerge myself into the characters and time of the book - every page draws you into the loves, lives and laughs of the Cast.

An excellent read, and I eagerly await Jack's next episode.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3