Profile for manchester maz > Reviews

Content by manchester maz

manchester maz "Maz" (Bury, Lancs)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
L'appel De L'ange
L'appel De L'ange
by Guillaume Musso
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read with some irritating bits, 6 Feb. 2016
I have never read any of his other books and this was bought for me, so I have nothing to compare it with. It starts well with the idea of swapping phones but the storyline soon becomes very far-fetched. It was pretty irritating too that he talks about British police being armed. That is a glaring error and should have been researched better. Also the spelling Harald instead of Harold and Cheatham instead of Cheetham; just small things but made me wonder if the American details were also wrong. I would still say it is worth a read. The build up towards the end is quite tense and I didn't want to put it down. It was also quite a departure for me from the classic French novels and quite educational in using slang and a more modern style.

Benzi Travel Bag Ryanair Compliant Second Hand Baggage Black/Blue
Benzi Travel Bag Ryanair Compliant Second Hand Baggage Black/Blue
Offered by Luggage Emporium

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Jan. 2016
Exactly what was required

La femme sans peur (Volume 1) (French Edition)
La femme sans peur (Volume 1) (French Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird but couldn't put it down, 1 Nov. 2015
This was a strange tale with an unbelievable storyline, a weird snail theme and an unresolved ending. However, I have to say it kept my interest and I didn't want to put it down towards the end as I was really intrigued about what had happened. I don't like snails but miraculously the author managed to make me empathise with 'Speedy' ! It is a good mystery which makes me want to read the rest.

The History And Annals Of Blackley And Neighbourhood
The History And Annals Of Blackley And Neighbourhood
by Philip Wentworth

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for anyone who knows Blackley, 28 Oct. 2015
I borrowed this book from the library many years ago but when I tried to borrow it again several years later, I was told they only had one copy but I could photocopy it. I did copy it and was happy that I had it to read but it was rather difficult to read on A4 sheets. I was delighted when I searched on Amazon, never thinking it would be there, and found this. It is much easier to read in book format and I am pleased that it is available again. It is good to read about the places and landmarks from the area I grew up in.

47 Amazing Things to See and Do in Colombia
47 Amazing Things to See and Do in Colombia

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful taste of Colombia from my armchair, 4 Mar. 2015
Having enjoyed 'Dancing Feat: One Man's Mission to Dance Like a Colombian' I decided to have a look at '47 Amazing Things to See and Do in Colombia'. I was not disappointed. Like most people, I have preconceived ideas about life in Colombia. To an extent these were reinforced by reading this guide; the threat of crime/drugs/kidnapping and of course altitude sickness. However, what I had not bargained for was the natural beauty of the place. The language used in some of the descriptions was quite evocative and I was grateful for that as sadly, I think my chances of visiting Colombia are very remote. As a guide book for someone more adventurous than myself, it is useful and informative but far from dull. For me, this book is on a par with numerous recipe books I have - I love to read them, but never make anything. I would say reading this book is second best to a real visit to Colombia, but only just.

Miss Carter's War
Miss Carter's War
by Sheila Hancock

4.0 out of 5 stars The political views became a bit tedious at times, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Miss Carter's War (Paperback)
There were some aspects of this book I didn't care for. The political views became a bit tedious at times, decades passed by in the space of a few lines and the way relationships were picked up as if merely weeks had gone by rather than many years. However I did find the description of the old woman in Fortnum and Mason's very perceptive and the visit to Ethel in the dementia wing of the hospital was incredibly moving and accurate. I enjoyed reading this book and found it hard to put down. It appeared to be very well researched. I would recommend it.

Portrait Of Jennie [1948] [DVD]
Portrait Of Jennie [1948] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice gentle ghost story, 12 Jan. 2015
I remember watching this film on tv a few years ago so thought I would order the dvd. I was not disappointed. It is very atmospheric and mysterious. An artist bumps into a little girl who vows to catch up with him in age and so starts a series of meetings. When she does not return he investigates what has happened to her. Good performances and very compelling and watchable, would recommend.

Naming Jack the Ripper: New Crime Scene Evidence, A Stunning Forensic Breakthrough, The Killer Revealed
by Russell Edwards

1.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment, 19 Dec. 2014
I was really looking forward to reading this book. From the publicity, it sounded different from all the rest. At last some concrete scientific evidence. Wrong. I did not like the author from the beginning with his rather arrogant manner but that can be overlooked. The first thing that raised my suspicians was the authenticity of the shawl, it seemed too good to be true. If the DNA research could 'prove' anything then maybe that would not matter but it bothered me. Then the very strange mention of michaelmas daisies and the significant dates for the murders. This raised my eyebrows to say the least. I am no expert when it comes to DNA, far from it, but even I began to wonder at all the convenient breakthroughs which fitted the author's beliefs perfectly. My son is a scientist and I know that research needs to be peer reviewed but there was no mention of this. It felt like the book was being rushed and the science made to fit rather than the other way round. Quite a disappointment unfortunately.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2015 9:40 PM BST

Dancing Feat: One Man's Mission to Dance Like a Colombian
Dancing Feat: One Man's Mission to Dance Like a Colombian

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, interesting but most of all hilarious., 13 Oct. 2014
Once you get over the rather annoying Americanisms (someplace instead of somewhere, out the door rather than out of....) and the habit of saying sat instead of sitting, stood instead of standing, this is a very compelling read. Maybe I'm just being pedantic because I really did enjoy the book. There are some real howlers in there which made me laugh out loud and that doesn't happen very often. It does give a little taster of life in Colombia which actually made me want to learn more about South American culture. As someone with two left feet and not remotely interested in dance, has this book made me want to go out and learn ? Has it inspired me to start watching 'Strictly come Dancing'? - No. Neither has it given me the inclination to go and visit Colombia, but what it has done is made me want to read more from this author and I hope there will be another book soon. I think this would make a good Christmas present and would thoroughly recommend it.

The World's Greatest Ghost Stories
The World's Greatest Ghost Stories
by Richard Dalby [Editor}

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a spine chilling Christmas present, 13 Oct. 2014
I absolutely love this book. It is easy to dip in and out of as none of the stories is very long. Unlike other similar collections, I found this one to be full of excellent stories rather than just a couple of good ones alongside a lot of inferior ones. This is to be expected with stories from the likes of Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, Edgar Allen Poe and the master, M R James, but there are plenty of authors I had never heard of who were very accomplished in the genre. Containing 42 stories, this collection is good value and I highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4