Profile for Jeff > Reviews

Content by Jeff

Jeff

Page: 1 | 2
Kingston 5-in-1 Mobile Companion (Extra Storage, Battery Charger and More)
Kingston 5-in-1 Mobile Companion (Extra Storage, Battery Charger and More)

3.0 out of 5 stars ... mixed feelings about this device and the instructions are pretty rubbish so you're very much on your own, 11 Jan. 2015
I have mixed feelings about this device and the instructions are pretty rubbish so you're very much on your own!

Firstly I have to say that it's the second one I've had as the first went back to Amazon with a seeming fault that developed with the wifi but now I have the second one I'm beginning to wonder if the original was OK after all.....

The problem was that I just could not get the wifi to work at all - the little middle blue indicator light just never came on.

I did manage to get files onto a memory disk and access them via USB but never via wifi.

When the new device arrived I charged it up no problems, held the power button for just over three seconds but nothing happened. After trying this several times I was about to throw the thing at the wall when the phone went and I got distracted for a couple of minutes during which time the wifi light came on. So it looks as if it can take up to a minute for wifi to 'powerup'.

I inserted the memory disk and saw that the files were there view-able on my iPad but only after several minutes - so this is not a very quick device. i have to say.

Then came the revelation. The next time I came to fire it up, no wifi!
Backtracking I discovered that by removing the memory disk I could get wifi again so in order to run wifi you have to fire up the device and wifi first before inserrting the memory. This is another downside which I've not seen in any reviews anywhere yet and it certainly doesn't tell you in the instructions or PDF downloaded manual.

Now I'm trying to work out how to access the device via wifi on my iMac and my wife's MacBook Air which at the moment doesn't seem to be possible.

Again all of the reviews seem to be related to i-devices and Androids but not mainstream PCs or Macs- can thios be right?

My feelings are it's a marginally useful piece of kit but not as flexible for what I had hoped to be able to use it for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2015 9:01 PM GMT

The Great Tapestry of Scotland
The Great Tapestry of Scotland
by Alistair Moffat

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but go and see the real thing., 18 Feb. 2014
Very good colour reproduction but does not give the scale and scope of the real thing.
Future centuries will see this on a par with the Bayeaux.

The Baker's Blood: The Nicolas Le Floch Investigations 6 (Nicolas Le Floch 6)
The Baker's Blood: The Nicolas Le Floch Investigations 6 (Nicolas Le Floch 6)
by Jean-Francois Parot

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are thinking of this read the series in sequence, 18 Feb. 2014
As of January 2014 this is the most recent in the series six or seven in all.

As narratives go it is typically Gallic in its understated-ness. The stories are interesting and the characters develop through the series.

If you like food you'll enjoy the meal descriptions from time to time.

A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara)
A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara)
by Michele Giuttari

1.0 out of 5 stars A good book at bedtime!!!, 18 Feb. 2014
Listening to the unabridged audio version of this book.
This must be the most boring book we have ever listened to.
Believe the one star reviews which indicate lack of any real plot, lack of characterisation, lack of suspense....

We downloaded it on the basis of the next three in the series are read by our favourite narrator Sean Barrett - but even he, I suspect, would not improve what is a poorly written book. We won't be listening to them though.

The narration in this version equals the plot for lack of sparkle and difficulty in differentiating the characters.
I even manage, as it's sending me off to sleep, to confuse the two lesbian girls.

When it came to the end of the first download section I thought we had finished but was disheartened to realise there were another five hours to go!

For those who have enjoyed Jo Nesbo or Craig Russell or Henning Mankell this is definitely not for you.

If you want something Italian have a go at Gianrico Carofiglio instead.

AlcoProof 92893 Alcohol Breathalyser, Set of 2
AlcoProof 92893 Alcohol Breathalyser, Set of 2
Offered by Family Motoring & Leisure

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness, 11 Dec. 2013
I haven't neede to use this yet so i am not able to comment on whether or not it works

AA Road Atlas France 2013
AA Road Atlas France 2013
by AA Publishing
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 11 Dec. 2013
Can't think of anything to say.
An atlas helps you to see where you are and see where you are heading

Epson A4 Matte Heavyweight Inkjet Paper (50 Sheets)
Epson A4 Matte Heavyweight Inkjet Paper (50 Sheets)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Dec. 2013
I use a lot of this paper and this was a REALLY GOOD PRICEW AT THE TIME.
bE AWARE THOUGHT THAT PRICES CAN RISE.

Hartleys Stainless Steel Outdoor Mailbox
Hartleys Stainless Steel Outdoor Mailbox
Offered by SDE Online

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 11 Dec. 2013
It does what it says on the tin as it were. it seems to kkep the rain out too and as yet no-one has tried to break in Wow!

Signs & Symbols: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
Signs & Symbols: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
by Miranda Bruce-Mitford

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 11 Dec. 2013
All i hoped for with lots of interesting source material and information.
Excellent book with good information inside as you might expect from a book

The Illustrated Signs and Symbols Sourcebook
The Illustrated Signs and Symbols Sourcebook
by Adele Nozedar

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with good information inside as you might expect from a book, 11 Dec. 2013
All i hoped for with lots of interesting source material and information.
Excellent book with good information inside as you might expect from a book