Profile for L. Cooper > Reviews

Content by L. Cooper

L. Cooper

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavier than expected and annoying switch, 11 Sep 2012
I bought this on the basis of the Which review but am not convinced that it is any better than other cheaper models. It is heavier than expected to push around, which is a disappointment given that I purchased it in order to make light work of cleaning the hard floors in my home. I have to go over and over some stuck on dirt in order to steam it off, although the review makes it sound as though it lifts everything off with ease. I am weaning a baby and cleaning off spilt food under the high chair is a fairly hard core test of effectiveness. My biggest problem with it is that you can't just switch it on to steam and leave it on until you have finished the room as you do with a vacuum cleaner, you have to hold the trigger switch on the handle in the whole time you are steaming. I'm no wimp but I find my thumb aching from holding the switch in after 15 minutes of steaming and if I bought another mop I would avoid one that operates in this way. Overall it IS easier than hefting buckets of water about, but I don't think this particular model deserves the glowing Which review.

Dinosaur Reward Chart with Stickers
Dinosaur Reward Chart with Stickers

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality sticker and chart set, 23 April 2012
The stickers are bright and colourful and a good size for little hands. The chart is sturdy with a colourful background image and spots to mark where stickers should be placed. This is much nicer than a lot of the boring grid style reward charts, and more suitable for younger children who do not have the attention span to care about building up rows of stickers in a grid. My 3 year old loved the free choice of which sticker, and where to place it on the picture, and it worked really well as a motivational tool for toilet training. I have ordered the pirate and space sets too - it is nice that there are different themed sets to help keep their interest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 5:36 PM BST

TOMY (Kid K'Nex) Zoo Buddies Building Set (Age3+)
TOMY (Kid K'Nex) Zoo Buddies Building Set (Age3+)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed by my 3yr old, but not many pieces, 21 Nov 2010
I was a bit annoyed when I opened this and the box was about 10 times larger than the capacity actually needed for the contents - it looks a lot more than it is. Having said that my 3 year old was delighted by it and although she needed assistance with some of the models, gradually began building some of the simpler models herself. There are no step by step instructions, but there is a large sheet with illustrations of models which you can construct.

Elmer Jumbo Shaped Floor Puzzle 24pc
Elmer Jumbo Shaped Floor Puzzle 24pc

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality and difficult, 17 Mar 2009
Poor quality flimsy pieces which are too thin to fit together securely and are prone to damage. Poor value especially considering this is more expensive than many other 3+ puzzles. One of the pieces got bent the first time I did this with my daughter. The way the pieces are cut also makes it challenging to assemble correctly and much more difficult than other puzzles for this age group.

Relate Guide To Step Families: Living Successfully with Other People's Children (Relate Guides)
by Suzie Hayman

4.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced and very helpful, 16 Feb 2009
I read this book when I was already several years into my relationship with my partners children and found it so useful that I wish I had read it right at the start. The other reviewer here seems unhappy that the book covers different perspectives, but for me that was it's best feature. This book provides a good balance of sympathy, reassurance and guidance for the step-parent, but also some insights into the conflicted emotions and loyalties of the natural parent and their children.

One of the difficulties of being a step-parent is trying to discuss and resolve step-parenting problems with your partner, without it turning into a battle of loyalties. I was able to use this book to open up discussion with my partner about practical and emotional issues that had remained unresolved for a long time, because it articulated a lot of the problems and emotions I had been experiencing far better than I could, and had the credibility of a rational outside perspective, and case studies that showed I/we weren't alone. Reading it made me feel relieved, better informed about my own feelings and reactions to my step-children and partner, and better able to to deal with the many stresses of step-parenting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2012 2:16 PM GMT

Orchard Toys Farmyard
Orchard Toys Farmyard

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice durable first puzzles for toddlers, 20 Oct 2008
This review is from: Orchard Toys Farmyard (Toy)
I bought this set of 2 piece puzzles for my 20 month old and she loves them. The pieces are nice and chunky and easy for little hands, they don't bend or break and the images are also good quality - they don't rip or scuff as has happened with some other puzzles we've tried. She finds them endlessly satisfying to put together and plays with them almost every day. They're good for hand/eye co-ordination and we use them to learn about animals and the noises they make. They also do Jungle and Pets collections.

Sassy 103 - Musical Bobbing Sprites
Sassy 103 - Musical Bobbing Sprites

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but small and not very musical, 27 Dec 2007
I ordered these because my baby is fascinated with the plug and chain so I thought she would like something else attached to the bottom of the bath. She does like them but I think they're overpriced at 9.99 as they're quite small, and while they do make a noise (rattle or squeek) I think the term 'musical' is overstating things! You can buy the Octopals set from Tomy for the same price and that provides a lot more bath fun for the money.