Profile for Joe Kirk > Reviews

Content by Joe Kirk

Joe Kirk (Derby, England)

The Graceless Age
The Graceless Age
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 7.72

5.0 out of 5 stars See him live..., 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Graceless Age (Audio CD)
I knew nothing about John Murry until I came across him at the End of the Road festival. Quite simply, the angst and emotion he generated in that live performance blew everybody present to pieces. This was a man's traumatic life being laid bare before a transfixed audience. My wife and I were so entranced that we went to see him at the Rescue Rooms the following week. He didn't disappoint. Absolutely mesmerising.

The previous reviews have more than adequately described the album. I would just add, try and catch him live.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2013 9:21 PM BST

TELL WHERE I LIE
TELL WHERE I LIE
Price: 12.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to expectations, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: TELL WHERE I LIE (Audio CD)
I bought this CD a couple of months ago after reading that they would be appearing at the 'End of the Road' festival, which we were going to in late August. I liked their music instantly - their harmonies reminded me of CSYN and Fleet Foxes and I wondered if they would be as impressive live. Well dear readers, they certainly were, so if you get the chance be sure to catch them at a venue near you before they start appearing in big, soul-less arenas.

Barbecue Shelter - Steel Frame BBQ & Party Shelter Gazebo
Barbecue Shelter - Steel Frame BBQ & Party Shelter Gazebo

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gazebo!, 4 Aug 2013
My wife has been looking for a gazebo for some time and came across this barbecue shelter. It was just the right size for our back patio and (considering I am hopeless at self-assembly packs) we managed to assemble it without any arguments! Needless to say she is delighted with it and it is her pride and joy.

Battery for Archos AV704, AV704 Wifi, AV705, AV705 Wifi 10200mAh - 500934
Battery for Archos AV704, AV704 Wifi, AV705, AV705 Wifi 10200mAh - 500934
Offered by UK Battery
Price: 24.99

1.0 out of 5 stars WRONG BATTERY RECEIVED, 6 Mar 2013
I ordered a replacement battery pack for my Archos AV705 but unfortunately I was sent one that was different to the original battery pack. The one I received worked with my Archos but was too deep to use with the docking device, so be careful you order the slimline version if you have a Docking station...

Nice Nice Very Nice
Nice Nice Very Nice
Price: 18.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Another canadian gem, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Nice Nice Very Nice (Audio CD)
Having seen Dan Mangan for the first time at the EOTR festival, I had no idea what sort of music he made. Now I know and this album is another illustration of the quality of music emanating from Canada. Dan Mangan is a singer/songwriter from Vancouver and is very remininscent of Cat Stevens. Thoughtful, meaningful lyrics complemented by some addictive tunes, of which 'Robots' will stick in your head all day long. There is also an element of Paul Simon in 1 or 2 of his songs and he sounds remarkably like John Samson of the Weakerthans on some numbers. But Dan Mangan is very much his own man.

I particularly like 'Baskets' which is about how we all hold onto our memories as we get older. Very moving. 'Pine for Cedar' is another song in a similar vein. But this CD is not all about pining for our youth - there are some more up tempo numbers and some light-hearted themes too, 'Robots' being a prime example. 'You Silly Git' is a lovely little song on giving yourself a reality check when things don't turn out as you wish. It ends with a great line, 'try to break up with your pride and start to flirt with satisfied'. I don't think there is a fill-in on the entire CD. Highly recommended.

Tumble Down
Tumble Down

5.0 out of 5 stars Catch him whilst you can, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Tumble Down (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Marcus Foster until I went along to a gig at the Glee Club in Nottingham a few weeks ago, ostensibly to see Foy Vance perform there, supported by this unknown singer/songwriter by the name of Marcus Foster. Foy was excellent but I came away thinking what a talent Marcus was. I bought his EP 'Tumbledown' after the show and I have had it in the car CD player almost constantly since. The tracks do not hit you between the eyes on first listening, but, like all great albums, the songs slowly get under the skin and stand the test of time.

Marcus has an amazing voice, somewhere between a young Elton John (think Tumbleweed Connection) and David Gray. But that might be misleading because his style is all his own. He describes his style as a mixture of gospel, folk, funk, blues and Rock 'n Roll! I can't add anything to that.

Tumbledown is the stand-out track and is one of those songs that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up towards the climax. The other tracks are no less listenable and I am eagerly awaiting the release of his album, 'Nameless Paths', in the Autumn. If you can catch him live now, don't hesitate because this time next year you may well struggle to get tickets for his concerts. My wife and I are both looking forward to seeing him perform at the Truck Festival this weekend.

VULTURES AWAIT
VULTURES AWAIT
Offered by langton_info_england
Price: 28.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Why haven't I heard of Will Johnson before?, 17 Dec 2008
This review is from: VULTURES AWAIT (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of one track on an Uncut compilation CD. The CD was issued as a tribute to the Band and contained many fine songs, of which the one by Will Johnson, 'Just to know what you've been dreaming' was one of the best.

On first hearing, the other tracks on 'Vultures await' did not capture the imagination as much, but the album slowly gets its teeth into the listener after 4 or 5 plays. Now I find all the tracks as gripping. Johnson plays all the instruments on the album apart from fiddle on the outstanding 'Sleep awhile'. I can never fathom why the fiddle isn't used more widespread on albums and on this track it evokes memories of Bob Dylan's 'Desire'.

On other tracks Johnson plays both accoustic and electric guitar and piano,(not at the same time I hasten to add), and the piano is especially haunting on the opening track, 'Catherine Dupree'. The electric guitar solo on 'Just to know..' will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Truly a talented musician our Mr Johnson.

There are similarities in style to the Band, one of my all time favourite groups, but there is also a variety on this album to appeal to other tastes. I have no hesitation in recommending this album to people who love their music to be gritty, haunting and sung from the heart.