Profile for Ms. M. Pickard > Reviews

Content by Ms. M. Pickard

Ms. M. Pickard "bookster" (Lincs, UK)

Pro11 3/4 length Slim Fit Orthotic heel cup insoles Plantar Fasciitis Metatarsalga treatment (5-6.5 Small)
Offered by World Of Wellbeing

5.0 out of 5 stars These work for me, 8 May 2014
I bought these as I had acute heel pain which was also affecting my toes, ankle and calf muscle. I couldn't walk quickly and getting up after sitting down was excruciating. They take a while to get used to but I found that after a week my foot was significantly better. Now I am almost back to normal with full movement back and no pain, One tip I would give to new buyers is to check which insole fits in each shoe as I put them in the wrong shoes at first! If you suffer from heel pain give these a try, after all they are not expensive and when they work, it is such a relief. I am on my second set now. Also I washed the insoles (hand wash) with no ill effect.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad, haunting but strangely uplifting, 8 May 2012
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I had been wanting to read this book for a while and when I found it in the charity shop, I snapped it up.
Mmm what to say? Haunting and unusual start and I liked the comments by the narrator (death). He is really quite humorous in his own way. It was the narrator's 'voice' that inspired me to read further...
The book is set in Germany during World War II. It describes the experience of war from that perspective and its effects on everyday folk in Germany. Remember, not everyone embraced the concept of Nazism. It gives the reader the opportunity to experience the horrors of that time most likely from a different perspective. Essentially, it is the story of one girl and how the war affects her and those around her. Liesel (the main character) is surprisingly not hugely lovable but hey you get to like her more as the book progresses. More important I think are the characters she meets and loves: Hans (papa), Rosa (mama), Rudi, Max. The story is so full of people just living through hard times to their best ability that it is easy to forget the horror and hardship.
I cried while reading certain passages (the regret of not offering the kiss, Max, Rudi, Max). But I guess this is a regret we all share for certain passages of our own lives. I also felt shame at the realisation of knowledge that I would probably not have been as brave as others.
Unlike other readers I didn't experience the hiatus in the middle of the book. I read steadily and let the emotions sink in. Each chapter spurred me onto the next. Even at the end of the book we were still introduced to new characters.
This book is about sadness, regret and fear. It's also about kindness, love, the human condition and hope. Read it and weep. Be ashamed but be hopeful.

The Left Hand of God: 1/3 (Sanctuary of Redeemers series)
The Left Hand of God: 1/3 (Sanctuary of Redeemers series)
by Paul Hoffman

1.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a disappointment, 5 Oct 2010
Like many others, I was intrigued by the hype surrounding this book. The books starts off moderately well but I felt that the introduction to the world of the Redeemers never gave me enough to really imagine the apparent horrors of it.
I thought that there was a certain laziness in the style of writing; at one point, he refers to a group of 'peelers'. There seemed to be cursory references to a little bit of humour now and again such as one character saying he had discovered a new word - 'balls'. How I guffawed at that one! I really would have liked a little more originality.
Women are relegated to either being mere pleasure items for men (Riba) or hard nosed psychopaths (Jenifer Plunkett) who are in danger of falling in love at any second.
I couldn't be bothered to read the ending - I just didn't like any of the characters enough to read any further.

The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant favourite for me, 17 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
After reading the reviews, I couldn't resist giving this book a try. I wasn't disappointed.
The idea of a child being brought up by the inhabitants of a graveyard after escaping from a murderer was intriguing; I was hooked from the very first line 'There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife'.
There are so many different concepts in the book: fading, dreamwalking, different classes of the dead (or the inbetween) and Ghulheim to mention but a few.
In my opinion, the book is just the right length for the story - it is after all intended as a children's book. It reminded me a little of some of the stories by Joan Aiken.
The writing is delicious - descriptive, witty and at the same time mysterious. It is a joy to savour the words and enjoy how they are put together.
Should you buy this book? Absolutely.

The Shack
The Shack
by Wm Paul Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to expectations, 17 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading the blurb on the back and couldn't wait to start reading it. I was intrigued with the idea of a man meeting up with God in a shack where the man's murdered daughter had been found.
What a disappointment! It felt like I was reading some sort of early 20th century religious story meant for children. All the characters are one dimensional do-gooder christian types saying things like 'We'll pray for you' all the time. The main character Mack, is able to eavesdrop on police phonecalls and is never once treated as the main suspect in his daughter's disappearance (as would be usual in a crime of this sort), all of which is complete tosh.
I actually gave up about three quarters of the way through reading this. I simply could not tolerate the awful patronising writing style any longer. This is a real shame as I would have been open to a different view point, had it been better and more realistically written. I am cross with myself that I have bought it as I used a book token present and wanted an uplifting read, not some saccharine claptrap.
To sum up, this book is the written equivalent of those dreadful God programmes which pray on lonely/depressed people. Shame on you Wm Paul Young. I
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2010 8:55 AM BST

I, Fatty
I, Fatty
by Jerry Stahl

5.0 out of 5 stars strangely compelling, 9 Feb 2009
This review is from: I, Fatty (Paperback)
I decided to read this book on the strength of other reviews and I was not at all disappointed. From the very beginning, the author draws you into Fatty's world. Famous names abound and it's intriguing to find how they are connected to Fatty. If I had one criticism, it would be that I would have liked to see some photos.

Crafting Christmas Gifts: 25 Adorable Projects Featuring Angels, Snowmen, Reindeer and Other Yuletide Favourites
by Tone Finnanger

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent projects, 9 Feb 2009
Lovely book - lots of great projects to do and very attractive items to make. Also very good pictures with clear instructions and some great tips for people new to this. Particularly liked the reindeer and cats. Confess have not started any of the projects yet (had this book since Christmas) but plan to start soon.