Profile for Carolann copland > Reviews

Content by Carolann copland

Carolann copland "Carolann" (Dublin, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Freedom's Child
Freedom's Child
by Jax Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars A luxurious, six star studded gem!, 2 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Freedom's Child (Hardcover)
So I lost two days of my life to this book. I don't know about anything else that happened that weekend. I was completely caught up in the fierceness and softness of Freedom's character and the incredibly fast pace of a plot that could not be abandoned, even for food. We want to read a book that we haven't read before and the freshness and raw feel of 'Freedom's Child' does not disappoint. The sheer drama of the separate stories and characters is riveting and how they all knit together in the end is pure satisfaction. I felt I was on that bike with Freedom all the way through her journey, taking in the literary explosion of senses that was on offer. A luxurious, six star studded gem!

Anyush
Anyush
by Martine Madden

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing but beautiful., 28 July 2015
This review is from: Anyush (Paperback)
Anyush Charcoudian’s strength of character wraps you up and pulls you into her story, set around the Armenian genocide during WW1. This is a part of history that was dwarfed by the happenings of WW1; a story that many of us have glossed over but not dwelt on in detail. What I loved about Madden’s novel is the way the story carries you through as if it were real time and yet tells you the truth about the past. ‘Anyush’ tells us the story from the point of view of a young girl living in an Armenian village where she is forced to grow up suddenly by the atrocities that surround her life. To make matters more complicated for her and to give the novel even greater authenticity and beauty, Anyush falls for a Turkish officer, Jahan. Through love and loss we see the war on both sides of the divide. Different stories are told and seamlessly brought together in this harrowing but beautifully written tale.

Already Taken
Already Taken
by Caroline Grace-Cassidy

5.0 out of 5 stars Gutsy, Bright and Beautiful!, 24 July 2015
This review is from: Already Taken (Paperback)
Kate Walsh is everything you want in a main, female character. She’s gutsy, bright, loyal and beautifully natural. The author brings her to life in a way that makes the reader glad they have ‘met’ her. We all need a Kate Walsh in our lives to spur us on and to allow us feel that no matter what the past holds, the present and the future can be changed to our liking. Hugh Clover has many faults and yet his interaction with Kate gives him the strength he needs to let his good side shine. I also fell in love with Kate’s mum. That’s the sign of a great author when someone as terrible as this woman who has done dreadful things can be redeemed in such a way. Mental health is dealt with sharply and sensitively. Caroline Grace-Cassidy’s latest novel ticks all the readers’ boxes and leaves you wanting more.

Into the Night Sky
Into the Night Sky

5.0 out of 5 stars Finnerty's Fab Four, 24 July 2015
The four unusual main characters in this book are woven together brilliantly throughout and they just gel. My favourites are young Jack and his book shop owner friend, Conor. Their conversations flow and draw the reader in perfectly. Their need for each other is strong. The plot in this well paced novel is page-turningly wonderful and well researched. The author pulls the different stories together and asks questions with great sensitivity and helps her characters to find redemption. Looking forward to Finnerty's next beautifully written novel.

Sweaters and Small Stuff
Sweaters and Small Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweating the dark stuff!, 17 Jan. 2015
The fabulous title of this collection of modern short stories and the perfect cover are what enticed me to read this book, together with the engaging titles of each individual story. What kept me reading was the author's ability to take hold of the seemingly ordinary person and make them extraordinary. The stories are dark and each one has a surprise for the reader, my favourite one being 'In the Wake of Wednesdays.'
I was sorry to finish the book as I would have loved to keep reading more from Kathryn Crowley and I look forward with anticipation to her next collection. In the meantime I will leave it rest before I take it up another time for another read.

[(White Feathers)] [ By (author) Susan Lanigan ] [September, 2014]
[(White Feathers)] [ By (author) Susan Lanigan ] [September, 2014]
by Susan Lanigan

5.0 out of 5 stars A rich and enveloping read, 17 Jan. 2015
They say what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. That is certainly the case for Eva Downey, Lanigan's protagonist in 'White Feathers'. Eva's character is still following me around after finishing this brilliant book of betrayal. Eva is put to an unfair test, with terrible consequences, but we see her fight for what she believes in. Lanigan shows us what Eva is made of through her treatment of relationships with her friends, family and lover. Lucia was my favourite character, always ready with a surprise for the reader. This is historical fiction that will pull you back in time and give you a lifesize taste of what life was like for women during WW1. A rich and enveloping read, unpredictable and engrossing. Looking forward to the next.

Stolen Child - A gripping psychological thriller
Stolen Child - A gripping psychological thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 18 Oct. 2014
One of the most thought provoking and gripping novels I have read this year. 'Stolen Child' has left me with a longing to read more of Laura Elliot's work.

Last Kiss (Dr Kate Pearson Book 3)
Last Kiss (Dr Kate Pearson Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously addictive!, 11 Aug. 2014
I devoured this book. It helped that having read Louise Phillips’ first two books, I was desperate to get my hands on this one, and wow was it worth the wait. Having written two wonderful novels already, Louise has now honed her craft to perfection. This writer feeds the reader deliciously addictive morsels of plot, piece by glorious piece, throughout the novel, making it impossible to put down. Whilst immersing us in sumptuously diverse locations, she wraps us around characters that are terrifying in their normality. Louise provides a backdrop of a horrendous childhood for her characters, leaving us empathising with, if not feeling sorry for them. I may never be able to walk through the forest again without feeling a witchy presence following me. The only problem we are left with is what to read next. ‘Last Kiss’ is impossible to follow and is her best novel so far.

Searching For Me - My Adoption Story
Searching For Me - My Adoption Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughter and tears., 7 Jan. 2014
Sometimes stories just have to be written down and `Searching for Me' by Aoife Curran is one of those stories. Once written, it falls into the category of stories that have to be read. Not just by those searching for their birth families, or those touched by adoption, but by everyone who has ever come into contact with an adoption story. This poignant tale, filled with the truth about adoption is as honest as it is heartening.
Aoife Curran shows incredible insight into how an adopted person can learn to embrace both her birth world and her adopted world and live to tell the tale. Inspiring page turner.

The Long & The Short of it
The Long & The Short of it

5.0 out of 5 stars A balm for the mind and the soul., 7 Jan. 2014
`The Long & The Short of it' is a roller coaster of emotions that are a balm to the mind and the soul. I thought that the title was pure genius for a collection of stories ranging from one hundred to three and a half thousand words. There's no telling when you need a good read, how long you're going to have, and I loved being able to pick and choose the length at will. Annmarie Miles' stories are part of us all. They are the heroes of our lives who we suddenly recognise as we read (and sometimes reread) her tales; my favourite being `Corned Beef Sandwiches on Brown Bread'.
I never knew what to expect from each title and I love surprises... a spectacular collection of stories.

Page: 1 | 2