Profile for Janos Skorzeny > Reviews

Despicable Me Minion Dave Figure 3'' PVC Keychain
Offered by Neverland motor
Price: 2.47

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, and you can tell why..., 29 April 2014
Blimey, you can tell it's made from PVC - the item absolutely reeked and had "air" it before I gave it to the recipient. Unfortunately it fell to bits within about a week (key chain snapped, and the PVC perished like made after a couple of days, it looked like it'd been tumble-dried half a dozen times! OK, it was cheap, but you can tell why. Bear it in mind before you buy!

The Professionals: Mk I [Blu-ray]
The Professionals: Mk I [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Martin Shaw
Price: 21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, a glorious restoration, 2 April 2014
Having been a fan of The Professionals from the original transmissions back in the 70's, I've always picked up the various releases that have been made over the years, whether it be the "Video Gems" videos back in the day, to the first DVD releases, and onwards. When those lovely people at Network first teased us with a restored Professionals release last year with the short trailer on their website, I was hooked (I think a phrase similar to "clucking bell" was heard to pass my lips...).

When this set arrived (early!) at the weekend, the first thing I did was to put on the extras disc to see the comparison footage, and I almost made a mess in my trousers. Having now watched the complete set, it's amazing to see episodes that I know so well more like something I've never seen before. Picture quality and sound quality just like something filmed today, amazing stuff. And the enclosed viewing notes written by Andrew Pixley are informative and interesting too - as Andrew Pixley's viewing notes always are!

Well done, Network - another triumph. Can't wait for the remaining seasons!

KangaROOS Unisex - Adult Aspen Snow Boots Gray Grau (charcoal/black/fire 256) Size: 42

4.0 out of 5 stars Great boots!, 26 Mar 2014
I really like KangaRoos boots and trainers, always have (for the last 20+ years), so when I needed some new casual-ish boots then these caught my eye. They're really comfy, fit really well, nice and warm too (wore them with ordinary cotton socks and my feet were really toasty because of the lining), and are really quite "light" to wear as opposed to some boots of a similar style that tend to be a bit leaden.

The Terrornauts [DVD]
The Terrornauts [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Oates
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A huge chunk of 60's sci-fi cheddar, but in a good way!, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Terrornauts [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit, my main reason for buying this (apart from it being a bit of a cult classic) was the fact that the fantastic Simon Oates is in it. Add to that Charlie Hawtrey and a mad premise, you know you're in for an interesting time.

The effects are awful, the sets are awful, the story and dialogue are awful, but it's well worth a watch for its utter cheese value.

Wonderfully bad!

Wide Selection of Fashion Snoods / Neckwarmers: Penny
Wide Selection of Fashion Snoods / Neckwarmers: Penny

5.0 out of 5 stars As the wife put it - "fantastic, gorgeous, snuggly warm!", 6 Nov 2013
Well, I'm actually writing this review from the position of the person who purchased it and not as the end user, but the end users comments will be included (end user, what a thing to call the wife!).

My better half has been going on for ages about buying a snood-type neckwarmer for herself after purchasing something similar for our little lad instead of a scarf that he would easily lose, and she came across this particular one offered by Da Londra. For about a week she debated (in other words, dropped hints in my direction) to the point where I just ordered it as a surprise. Let's just say that when it was delivered she was absolutely over the moon and it's barely been off her since. She loves it, the design, the way it feels, how warm it is, how comfortable it is as opposed to a scarf, and the hints have continued that she might just want another one. Or two. Or half a dozen.

Based on her reaction, I think Da Londra will be getting some more orders from me before Christmas. Very impressed, excellent quality, and a great price.

A Selections from the First Series of Sarah Millican's Support Group
A Selections from the First Series of Sarah Millican's Support Group
Price: 5.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the cover art! This is the real deal., 27 Sep 2013
I purchased the double-CD of the COMPLETE first series of "Sarah Millican's Support Group" to replace a previous copy that I inadvertently damaged, and noted that the artwork on the release still hasn't been replaced to remove the misleading "A Selection From" moniker. This set IS the complete first series, only four episodes having been made for the initial run (check elsewhere on the t'interweb, there's plenty of supporting evidence out there, and from personal experience I remember the broadcasts on 18th & 25th February, and 4th and 11th March 2010 because I'm that much of a geek). OK, it might have been nice to include the pilot episode which wasn't strictly a "Support Group" episode, in fact was called "Sarah Millican's Keep Your Chins Up", but you can't have everything.

Anyway, pernickety-ness aside, it's a great set. The four episodes are a joy, and are definitely worth a listen/re-listen.

The Dionysian Spirit
The Dionysian Spirit
Price: 2.12

5.0 out of 5 stars A throughly interesting book that reads like a labour of love and devotion, 20 Aug 2013
For someone who states at the beginning of his book that he's not an academic or "even particularly well-educated", Seán's self-deprecation is really unwarranted. I am not an expert when it comes to the Greek gods by any stretch of the imagination, my knowledge of the subject coming from the wonderful Robert Graves and a handful of short books on the Greek myths and legends I picked up years ago. Seán's work, however, reads almost as a devotional guide, a labour of love and respect to Dionysus, and it really had me gripped. It opened my eyes to particular ideas and connections I'd never really considered before, especially with regards to music and art - to be honest, prior to reading and re-reading the book, my opinions and views of Dionysus were basically along the lines of booze and bonking (courtesy of a particular popular American TV series and my own lack of knowledge).

I could pontificate for next few hundred words about the book, it's content, my personal opinions, etc. Instead, I would just like to heartily recommend this book, not just for those with an avid interest in the subject or those who are of Pagan beliefs, but to anyone and everyone who has an open mind and an interest in something that isn't classed, in our overly-homogenised world, as the norm.

And I for one look forward to Seán Fitton's next foray into literature - if The Dionysian Spirit is anything to go by, I'm sure it will be as interesting and as gripping.

Life
Life
Price: 11.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, great re-release, nice package, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Life (Audio CD)
This is a cracking album, one of my favourites of the era and was thrilled to bits to find it was going to be re-released with some interesting extras plus the live DVD. Nicely done!

Stockport Past in Pictures [DVD]
Stockport Past in Pictures [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice basic overview, 24 April 2013
If you're looking to research a bit into the history of Stockport, this DVD is a nice overview/starting point for someone who's interested in the town centre itself. There's nothing really for someone who wants to get some info on the surrounding areas (ie just outside the town centre, the Heatons, Reddish, etc). The presenter is thorough and knows his stuff, but it's clearly not a super professional production (nor does it try to make itself out to be).

I paid very little for the DVD and would say it was OK for the price, if it'd have been any more however, I'd have been a bit narked.

HGST Touro Mobile MX3 1TB External Hard Drive - Black
HGST Touro Mobile MX3 1TB External Hard Drive - Black
Offered by ecargo
Price: 47.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, waste of time, and NOT a Hitachi product!, 24 April 2013
After some trepidation I decided to buy one of these Touro drives for my music backups, mainly because the majority of the reviews were positive but also because it was relatively inexpensive for a 1tb external portable drive. Hitachi's a good make too, I thought, so took the plunge. And what a mistake that was.

The USB 3.0 connection is very delicate, the lead supplied is really very short, so unless you've got a convenient place to put the drive whilst it's in use, you're a bit stuffed. Plugged it in first time, PC recognised it no problem, came up as "TOURO". Also checked it on our other PC, and both of our laptops (better to be safe than sorry). Recognised again, no problem. Great, I thought. Needed to format it for use. Started the format process. 10 hours later, it's barely 33% along the formatting process when it starts to make almost imperceptible beeping noises, and there's a slight grinding noise from inside the casing. Suddenly the little blue light stops flashing, and I get a warning message that the format process can not be completed. Safely removed, checked the hard drive against all four machines again, no joy whatsoever.

On top of all that, Amazon are advertising this as a "Hitachi" product. Nowhere on the packaging or on the hard drive itself does it state it's anything to do with Hitachi at all (there is, in tiny writing on the reverse, a mention that it's Western Digital, assembled in China from Thai parts, but nothing about Hitachi).

Am returning the hard drive to Amazon for a refund - I'm not risking an exchange after going back and reading some of the other less-than-positive reviews. The majority of my external drives are either WD or Buffalo, so I'd rather spend extra now and purchase one of their directly-branded products rather than something that turns out to be an offshoot.

Change your advertising, Amazon - it's misleading!

AVOID THIS DRIVE AT ALL COSTS - If I'd have backed up my music to it and it'd have failed, I would have been devastated. Imagine you've got irreplaceable family photos or documents on one of these things......
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2013 6:01 PM BST