Profile for Jack > Reviews

Content by Jack

Jack (London, United Kingdom)

Amscan International Favour Pirates Treasure Coins, Pack of 72
Amscan International Favour Pirates Treasure Coins, Pack of 72
Offered by Dazzle The Party Store

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic coins painted gold., 13 Oct. 2014
Cheap plastic coins painted gold. There are a lot of burrs on the edges of these where they have been poorly cut from a mould. The colouration is uneven and many came out of the bag looking well worn.

Dune - the miniseries [Blu-ray] [Region B French Import]
Dune - the miniseries [Blu-ray] [Region B French Import]

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture, some harcoded French subtitles., 21 Aug. 2014
This is an excellent quality HD transfer, the colours are vivid and the level of detail is remarkable.

The original English audio track is available, the only downside to this import is that the small amount of dialogue delivered in the Fremen language has subtitles only in French.

Sony XBA2iP Premium Quality In-Ear Headphones
Sony XBA2iP Premium Quality In-Ear Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, not for Android., 15 April 2014
I have not used balanced armature drivers before and it took a few days for my ears to adjust to the tone of these earphones but now that they have I love them. I predominantly listen to audiobooks when out and about and for this reason I did not feel the need to purchase the more expensive models with additional bass drivers. This model delivers a very crisp and intelligible sound in the vocal range but perhaps do not have enough of a balanced sound for those wanting to listen to music, particularly of the electronic variety.

I commute through London's tube network every morning and the sound isolation of these is excellent, I am able to clearly hear whatever I am listening to despite the background sound level and there is no wind noise transferred through the body.

These earphones are very light and the cable resists tangling well. The only downside I have found is that they have a propensity to fall out as they do stick out of your ear a fair amount and the cable entry location produces a twisting force with only the slightest pull on the cable.

I read various reviews of these before purchasing and had no expectation that the buttons would work on android and I was not surprised to find that they did not, I wish more manufacturers would realise that Apple do not have a market majority and start supporting the rest of us more. The microphone works well though and seems to do a reasonable job of excluding unwanted noise.

Ardisle USB Temperature Stick Laptop Pc Data Logger Thermometer Sensor Record Temp

1.0 out of 5 stars A thermometer that overheats., 15 April 2014
I bought this to take temperature readings in my office in a vain attempt to get the air conditioning turned up. I work in IT and am not usually flustered by odd bits of cheap hardware but the drivers and software supplied with this refused to work on Windows 7 x64 no matter what. Eventually I found an alternative that was compatible with the chipset inside this and was able to start logging my data.

After a day or so taking measurements it became obvious that the calibration of this was off and all of the readings suffered from some DC offset, although the differential levels appeared to be correct.

After a few weeks of use (plugged in 24/7, on the end of a long USB extension) I began to see the readings trending upwards and after another day or so the thermometer body was too hot to touch and it had stopped producing data. The unit is now completely dead and has gone into the bin.

Ex-Pro® Replacement Nikon EP-5B Connector Coupler Kit with EH-5, EH-5A,EH5a, VEB002EB - 9v, 5Amp (Ex-Pro Version) - AC Mains Power Supply Adapter
Offered by ExpressPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Why pay more., 15 April 2014
For less than a quarter of the price of the Nikon equivalent you can get a totally functional power supply and battery adapter for you camera. I have been using this regularly since purchasing it as I take a lot of time-lapse photography and it has worked faultlessly.

The only difference between this and the original is the quality of the plastic, perhaps this will take fewer bumps before breaking, but at this price I will take that chance.

Sennheiser MM70s Universal Ear Canal Headset
Sennheiser MM70s Universal Ear Canal Headset

3.0 out of 5 stars Good earphones, shame about the remote., 12 Dec. 2013
[Update] This review applies to the MM70s version for non-Apple devices. The MM70i includes digital volume buttons which I have not tested.

I have been a long time user of Sennheiser earphones, but until buying these I had not purchased their smartphone compatible models. I have mixed feelings about this model.

The audio quality from these appears to be identical to the CX400 on which this model is based, they have a good bass response from the dynamic driver but lack clarity in the upper and mid ranges. I primarily listen to audio books on my tube commute through London every morning and this would be an issue if it wasn't for the excellent sound isolation provided by the various ear buds included with these; I find the large double flange silicone buds perfect for my ears.

What lets these down is two-fold: First the remote control has an analogue volume slider which travels less than 10mm making any fine volume control virtually impossible and leaving you to use the digital volume on the phone instead. To compound this, I found that in the intermediate positions the slider did not attenuate both channels by an equal amount requiring constant fiddling to get an equal level in both ears.

Secondly, Sennheiser have chosen to use an asymmetric cable design so as to keep the microphone in proximity to your face, the remote hangs below your left ear and the cable running from the remote to the jack plug is very short. I found this to be a problem as I tend to keep my phone in my right trouser pocket and often found the left earphone being tugged uncomfortably and dislodging itself at the expense of sound isolation.

My last criticism of these is based on reports I have had from the recipients of phone calls I have made while using the in-line microphone; they have reported significant background noise particularly in the high.mid frequency region which did not seem to be the case with the Samsung supplied earphones I had used previously.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 12:01 PM BST

Monogram Allergyfree Heated Double Single Controller Mattress Cover with Allergy Protection Using HHL Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and cosy, cool and comfortable., 12 Dec. 2013
I spent a long time looking for a double mattress cover with a single control and I am very pleased I picked this model.

The allergy free cotton material is cool to the touch when the heating element is switched off unlike fleecy covers. The elastic skirt perfectly fits my very thick mattress. The heating elements cover a large area, starting about 6 inches from the edges, the power connector is about 18 inches from the top and 3 inches from the side and hardly noticeable, it is circular and very low profile.

I think this model is rated at 80W and has six heat settings. I have yet to go beyond level 4 as this is more than enough to get the bed warmed up on the coldest days the year has yet to offer. There is no permanent on setting, you must use one of the four timer settings: 1, 3, 6 or 12 hours, but this is not a problem and undoubtedly adds to the safety. The light on the remote is very discreet and will flash to let you know when the timer has elapsed.

Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design Standard (PC)
Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design Standard (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but incomparable., 13 Aug. 2012
I have been using Adobe products at work for a decade; after going independent I have tried using some of the open source competitors which offer similar functionality, but cannot deliver the finesse that Adobe have achieved. Photoshop and Illustrator are truely incomparable products and well worth the investment.

This deserves five stars, but I am rating only four due to the price discrepancy between US and European markets.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2013 1:24 AM GMT

LEICKE DUAL SATA 2nd HDD/SSD Serial Ultrabay Enhanced Hard Drive Caddy Bay Adapter for Lenovo Thinkpad, e.g. R400 R500 W520 W510 T420 T420I T510 T520 SL500 W700 W701 R400 R500 W510 T420 T420I

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly, 2 Aug. 2012
This item fits in my 12.7mm (W520) drive slot perfectly. The tray has a retaining clip to hold the drive in place and does not require the rubber fittings of the primary hdd compartment.

The construction quality is acceptable; the plastic does not match the laptop perfectly but the drive bay is flush and barely noticeable when fitted.

Features a blue activity LED which is not mentioned in description.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2013 2:34 PM BST