Profile for Mrs. S. A. Pitt > Reviews

Content by Mrs. S. A. Pitt

Mrs. S. A. Pitt "Sarah Pitt" (Gloucestershire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Baby and Toddler Wooly leggings by Dotty Fish boys or girls Navy Snowflake - 90cm/12-24 months
Offered by Dotty Fish

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and practical., 23 Nov 2014
I've bought several different colours/designs of these leggings now. I love the variety and the cute patterns on the bum! Size-wise, I think they're just about right - they're quite stretchy, and they manage over the top of our cloth nappies just fine. I particularly like the fact that the bottoms of the leggings stay up off of baby's feet (even whilst folded up, if the legs are a little long), which helps our little learner-walker not to slip on the wooden floor.

BW-SWEET@ My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic G4 Loose Figure - Princess Luna Toy Best Price

5.0 out of 5 stars How to make a MLP fan happy . . ., 1 July 2014
What can I say! It's around the same size as a Princess Twilight Sparkle, a little larger than a normal MLP, not as large as Princess Celestia. I guess it's a rarer pony ( my daughter asked for this one specifically as a reward) so I didn't mind that it was slightly more expensive than normal but there aren't any special features to make it worth the extra money. The one I recieved was shipped without retail packaging from Hong Kong so no fiddly extras (like brushes or clips) which might have come with a shop-bought version, and it took maybe a week and a half to arrive.

I was a little concerned that it might have been a counterfeit, because of the lack of official packaging, but from what I can tell it seems to be a genuine product.

My daughter is very happy with her Princess Luna!

Smafolk Unisex Baby Pants with Thin Stripes Purple Size 86
Smafolk Unisex Baby Pants with Thin Stripes Purple Size 86
Offered by George and Freddie

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper baby trousers., 19 May 2014
When I found these trousers, I was searching for baby clothes which would be loose enough to fit over our cloth nappies, and these are perfect for this task. To be honest, I'd prefer them even if I wasn't looking for extra nappy room - the fabric is soft and stretchy which makes it much easier for baby to move in - they're so much more comfortable for her than the baby jeans and leggings I had been using.

The waistband and cuffs are made from a slightly snugger material rather than being elasticated, which also helps with the comfort of the garment, and the depth of the waistband makes for a nice warm tummy. I expect I shall fold the waistband down a little in warmer weather! The stripey fabric is much lighter weight (without seeming flimsy), and gives the appearance of genie trousers when on.

So in short, if you want your baby to look like a miniature adult, these aren't the trousers for you. If however, comfort and freedom of movement is your priority (and especially if you have bulky cloth nappies to cover), I'd thoroughly recommend them.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A proper page turner., 26 Mar 2014
I'm sure there will be many more in depth reviews already, dissecting the guts of this novel - all I've got to say is that I really enjoyed it. I cared about the main characters and enjoyed their interactions, the mystery played out in an enjoyable way, there were twists and turns that I didn't see coming . . . in short it was a really satisfying read, and I hope there are more to come.

CKB Ltd Knitting Umbrella Plastic Metal Swift Wool Yarn String Winder Holder Hanks Skeins Line
Offered by CKB LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely product., 9 Feb 2014
This swift (along with a ball winder) was my Christmas present this year - I'd always wanted one and seeing as I do all the present shopping (even for myself), I thought it was time!

There weren't any instructions in the box, but setting it up is really straightforward. The clamp at the bottom secures the swift to a table or to the back of a chair, and there is a further wingnut at the bottom which you can use to adjust the angle of the swift, so the clamp can attach at whatever angle you need, and the swift can still be level. The diameter of the swift can be adjusted easily with one hand to fit your skein of yarn, which is really handy if you're halfway through stretching the yarn around when you realise it's not going to fit.

Once the yarn is on, the swift spins really easily as the yarn is wound off. In combination with a ball winder, getting a neat skein of 4ply sock yarn wound into a ball is the work of about five minutes - it's so easy in fact, that my 6 year old daughter has wound 5 balls by herself - it was her new favourite thing for a minute there! It also made it possible for me to untangle a slippery silk/merino skein which I hadn't been brave enough to attempt before.

I'm really pleased with my purchase - I'm sure you could spend more money and buy a fancy wooden swift if you were planning on leaving it up in a craft room, or if you wanted the look in an independent yarn store or something, but this is perfect for my home, and will pack away neatly when I'm not using it.

Destination Void (Pandora Sequence Book 0)
Destination Void (Pandora Sequence Book 0)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going., 16 May 2013
Having read "The Jesus Incident" and "The Lazarus Effect" (both charity-shop buys from my teenage years) I was excited to learn that there were more stories in this series. "Destination Void" is the story of the troubled birth of the artificial intelligence which became the godlike Ship of the later stories.

In isolation I would have found this book extremely difficult to get through. The first half of the story, setting the scene and introducing the minimal cast of characters (all of whom have different secret agendas) was readable. I felt connected to their dilemmas and was interested to see how they would overcome the problems that their sabotaged ship was causing. As the story progressed however, it became more and more mired down in outdated technobabble, and the "revelations" of the various crew members as they figured things out were presented in such massive paragraphs about the functionings of artificial synapses, and the definitions of consciousness and life, that any excitement and momentum was lost.

So . . . three stars for me - the premise of the story was interesting, and I am a huge fan of this kind of moral-dilemma science fiction. I also was intrigued to understand the beginnings of the series which I'd first read so long ago. I wouldn't recommend this book in isolation at all though - if you've read some of the other books in the series first you'll have a much better chance of understanding the story and caring about the consequences of the characters' actions.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely windscreen wipers., 16 May 2013
I'm really pleased with these wipers.

They were simple to install, and unlike other wipers I've replaced in the past, they are flexible and curve correctly to the contours of the windscreen, so no annoying missed patches. They've been working really well so far (they've been on a couple of months now), and have been giving me a nice clear view of the road without smears or streaks.

When ordering I was a little worried because the original wipers on my Mazda were the same size on the left and right, and these ones are larger on the driver's side than the passenger side, but that hasn't made any difference to their installation or performance.

Bench Kaufman Men's Jumper Dark Grey Large
Bench Kaufman Men's Jumper Dark Grey Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely warm casual jacket., 23 Feb 2013
When I purchased this I thought it was going to be a normal zip-up sweatshirt, but it's actually sweatshirt fabric lined with a lovely soft dense short-pile fake fur. The extra layer of fabric helps the jacket hold it's shape, which makes it seem just a little smarter than I'd expected. I bought a large because my husband is very broad across the shoulders, and it fits him really well - it's neat enough around the torso and waist to stop him from looking bulky all over, which sweatshirts sometimes do.

For the first couple of wears the fur shed a little on my husband's clothes, but it's been through the wash (and it washed and dried with no problems), and it's been fine since.

So, to sum up, I was expecting an ordinary zip-up sweatshirt for the price I paid, but instead I got the softest warmest jacket which has instantly become my husband's favourite, and he looks darned good in it too.

Bench Ingston Men's Jumper Dark Khaki Large
Bench Ingston Men's Jumper Dark Khaki Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality sweatshirt., 30 Jan 2013
I bought this for my Husband for Christmas - he's tall and really broad across the shoulders, and (in large) this fit him like a dream.

The hood and neckline do an unusual drapey-crossover thing which adds a bit of interest and shape to the sweatshirt without making it too fussy, and with the hood up he looks like the guy from the TV show "Arrow", which amuses the heck out of him!

It's been worn often since Christmas and has been through the wash a couple of times now without issue. Bench isn't a company I'm particularly familiar with, but I shall definitely be looking to buy from them again.

Fiskars Medium Circle Lever Punch
Fiskars Medium Circle Lever Punch

4.0 out of 5 stars neat little piece of kit, 30 Jan 2013
I bought this after seeing a project which used circles punched from old Christmas cards to make a garland, and was a little concerned about whether it would be sturdy enough to get through the cardstock.

Well . . . it did punch through the cards for me, but it took a little more effort than I'd have liked, didn't feel very sturdy when doing so, and (as I think has been mentioned before) it's difficult to see exactly the point on the card where the hole will be punched. If I wanted to center the circle on a particular bit of a pattern I had to flip it over and remove the cover from the base of the punch (where the punched-out circles are stored), and it was very tricky to efficiently get the most out of the card I was using - I ended up with a lot of circles with tiny arcs missing from the edge, though if I'd spent a little more time I'd probably have managed to avoid most of that. What can I say? I was having fun!

So I've given it 4 stars because to be fair it doesn't claim to be suitable for anything heaver than standard paper and for that, though still tricky to position with any degree of accuracy, it is a perfectly good punch. It's small and neat, easy to store and use, and it gave me a reasonably good result even when being used outside of it's recomended limits.

Page: 1 | 2