Profile for E. F > Reviews

1000 Symbols: What Shapes Mean in Art and Myth
1000 Symbols: What Shapes Mean in Art and Myth
by Rowena Shepherd

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 23 Oct. 2013
I have studied myths and symbols for many years and was curious about this book as it is amply illustrated. Unfortunately, both the written content and illustrations are wholly unsatisfying. The text is vague and uninformative and the illustrations are simplistic and imprecise. There are much better books around, whether you are a novice in the subject or an experienced reader. For me, it was a waste of time and money.

Freehand Drawing and Discovery: Urban Sketching and Concept Drawing for Designers
by James Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Aug. 2013
I am really pleased with this book. I have been sketching for a few years with mixed results and was looking for a book to help with some areas like prespective and composition. This book offers great practical advice on many aspects but it also makes you want to get up and start drawing! I inmediately noticed an improvement on my sketches by applying my newly acquired knowledge. It is also beautifully put together and it gives you access to demo videos by the author.

Pencil Drawings - A Look Into Drawing Portraits
Pencil Drawings - A Look Into Drawing Portraits
by David J. Vanderpool

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful information, 31 May 2013
I really liked this book by Mr. Vanderpool. It's written like a sort of work diary for each project. His work is quite interesting, although some of this portraits are better than others. What I found really inspiring is that Mr. Vanderpool talks about not just the techniques he uses for his drawings but also the difficulties he finds in parts of the process and even his insecurities and limitations. I actually learnt more from this than from the more technical aspects of the book, as it made me question my own drawing process and tackle my own shortcomings.

The one thing I didn't like about the book is the fact that some comments about Mr. Vanderpool's work have been included. These were obviously taken from different internet sources and most of them bear no relevance to the book itself. Some comments are quite childish and superfluous and really detract from this otherwise enjoyable book.

Made in the Shade: a Zentangle Workbook
Made in the Shade: a Zentangle Workbook
by Cris Letourneau CZT

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad quality printing, 31 May 2013
I have been doing Zentangles for a few years and felt curious about the shadowing techniques to improve some of my own designs. However, the printing on the pages is really bad, with some of the images appearing almost blurred, which doesn't help when you're looking at the intricate design. Some pages have ink stains. The Zentangles shown in the book belong to different artists and the quality of their work varies greatly, some of it being quite poor. With reference to the shadowing techniques, I didn't find anything that I couldn't have learned from a general drawing book. There are books on Zentangle which I have found inspiring but I'm afraid this was not one of them.